Monthly Archives: December 2004

VIDEO: "Comedy"

While Faramir and his men are sent to die in an impossible conflict, Lord Denethor indulges himself from the safety of his castle. Click to watch.

Posted in George W. Bush | Tagged | Comments Off

Pat Buchanan joins anti-war voices

Pat Buchanan’s December 27th column reads as if someone from our side hacked his computer and ghost-wrote his latest missive. Check these quotes: What is our mission now? When did it change? With 1,300 dead and nearly 10,000 wounded, why … Continue reading

Posted in Pundit Watchdog | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

My Pet Goat II: Still Missing

Where is Mr. Bush? On vacation, clearing brush, talking goo-goo talk with Barney the dog, mopping up Jenna’s egg nog puke. Or is he reading “My Pet Goat”? As the death toll in the Indian Ocean tsunami crisis nears 100,000, … Continue reading

Posted in George W. Bush | Tagged , , | Comments Off

More on Concerned Women For America

As mentioned before on this blog, this group is really severe. In addition to their boycott of companies that they feel are gay friendly, the group also… …opposes hate crime legislation too, because it says making attacks on gays a … Continue reading

Posted in Pundit Watchdog | Tagged , | Comments Off

Weird Tucker Carlson tsunami interview

From last night’s “News Night with Aaron Brown” with guest host Tucker Carlson: CARLSON: Imagine now being awakened from sleep by a sound at the door, the sound in this case being the Indian Ocean. John Austin awoke from a … Continue reading

Posted in Asian Tsunami, Pundit Watchdog | Tagged | Comments Off

Bush's shrinkage and some history

George W. Bush’s current job approval rating is somewhere in the range of 49% (Fox, for example, shows him at 48%). The buzz is that he’ll go into his second inaugural with the lowest job approval of any two-term president … Continue reading

Posted in George W. Bush | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Pooty Poot pokes U.S. elections

This flew way under the media radar yesterday. Then again, the U.S. media’s radar is made of papier mache, a 9-volt battery, and shoelaces. Russian President Pooty Poot* as reported in the Australia Sunday Morning Herald: “Do you think that … Continue reading

Posted in Elections | Tagged , | Comments Off

Open your Bush playbook to page 2003

First noted by Josh Marshall at TPM, the Boston Globe is now discussing the startling similarities between Bush’s build up to Iraq and his build up to Social Security privatization. The Globe: Much as the Iraq war was preceded by … Continue reading

Posted in George W. Bush, Social Security | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off

Bush: $15 million to tsunami relief

I’m not inclined to politicize such a large scale disaster, but an initial U.S. pledge of $15 million for disaster relief (link) for the Indian Ocean nations seems remarkably weak, no? With so much money being pumped into a war … Continue reading

Posted in Asian Tsunami, George W. Bush | Tagged , | Comments Off

A mandate?

So Bush feels that his slim margin election victory gives him a mandate that represents the “will of the people”. Problem is that the issues the American people think are important have nothing to do with the evil that Bush … Continue reading

Posted in George W. Bush | Tagged , , , , , | Comments Off

Ohio election suits filed; media naps

Ohio Secretary of State and all around weasel, Ken Blackwell, filed a lawsuit today to prevent him from answering to legal challenges to the Ohio vote. The Guardian: Blackwell, in a court filing, says he’s not required to be interviewed … Continue reading

Posted in Elections | Tagged | Comments Off

Bush on poverty: "What's a 'poverty'?"

CNN had this cheery holiday report for the era of George W. Bush, Compassionate Conservative: According to the most recent Census Bureau statistics, nearly 36 million Americans lived in poverty in 2003, an increase of 1.3 million from 2002. And … Continue reading

Posted in George W. Bush | Tagged , , , , , , | Comments Off

Do Bush's "neighbors" include evildoers?

George W. Bush’s Christmas message: Christmastime reminds each of us that we have a duty to our fellow citizens, that we are called to love our neighbor just as we would like to be loved ourselves. Unless, of course, our … Continue reading

Posted in George W. Bush | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Yushchenko, democracy wins

When there’s organized, strategic protest and worldwide attention, there’s nothing that can’t be done. Yushchenko has a lot of work ahead of him, but The Cause is strong. The only question remains, while we export democracy elsewhere, is there any … Continue reading

Posted in Elections | Comments Off

Josh Marshall: Bushies in "lying phase"

Josh Marshall at Talking Points Memo brought up a typically insightful comparison between the Bushes’ build up to the Iraq War and their current PR campaign for privatizing Social Security. It’s an “ah-ha!” moment: …we’re now in the lying and … Continue reading

Posted in George W. Bush | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off

Santorum: evolution up for debate

Only in Bush’s America would the issue of evolution de-evolve to the level of “controversial public debate”. Senator Rick Santorum, who recently was caught bilking a Pittsburgh area school district out of hundreds of thousands of dollars (link), believes that … Continue reading

Posted in Congress | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off

Women's group blasts "gay" companies

Put this in the “What the hell did they do to you?” file. A right-wing women’s group is calling for a campaign against Subaru for advertising in The Advocate and “supporting the gay community”. Their message is clear: if you’re … Continue reading

Posted in Civil liberties | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Rummy: Pennsylvania plane shot down?

Donald Rumsfeld at Camp Victory in Iraq: And I think all of us have a sense if we imagine the kind of world we would face if the people who bombed the mess hall in Mosul, or the people who … Continue reading

Posted in Terrorism | Tagged , | Comments Off

Bush V. Governors

An impressive, bipartisan association of Governors are rallying to stand up to Bush’s horrendous Medicaid cuts (Bubble Boy’s route to lowering his obscene and reckless deficit). In today’s NY Times, perhaps a glimpse of the real America that the real … Continue reading

Posted in Legislative Watchdog | Tagged , | Comments Off

The Passion of the Michael Moore

The Democratic leadership, strangely following the lead of Republican pundits, have made a New Years resolution: publicly bludgeon Michael Moore. Senator Joe Lieberman appeared on the December 24 edition of Hannity & Colmes and blasted Michael Moore as an extremist … Continue reading

Posted in Pundit Watchdog | Tagged , , , , , , , , , | Comments Off