Monthly Archives: January 2005

Is it really about democracy in Iraq?

Those of you familiar with the neocon PNAC will know this letter. Those of you who aren’t, here’s a classic document which verifies that the Iraq invasion and occupation has NOTHING to do with 9/11 or (in terms of the … Continue reading

Posted in Iraq | Tagged , | Comments Off

Trailer: "This Divided State"

Just a quick link to a trailer for an independent film about a red state battle that took place when Michael Moore was invited to speak at Utah Valley State College prior to the election. Watch the trailer here. Dissent, … Continue reading

Posted in The RBN Philosophy | Tagged | Comments Off

Global warming will destroy the Arctic

Saturday, CNN gave the following story about 2 minutes on their “lighter side” news show called “Next”. Why this stuff isn’t leading the headlines is beyond me. The Guardian is reporting that an impending 2 degree temperature increase will destroy … Continue reading

Posted in Environment | Tagged , , , , , | Comments Off

David Corn: Bush lying or making it up?

David Corn has caught Bush either lying about or making up the existence of a gay-adoption study during his press conference last week. The bigger question is this: does Bush outright lie or is he just grossly mininformed on a … Continue reading

Posted in George W. Bush | Tagged , , | Comments Off

PBS joins Nazis, KKK in opposition to gays

PBS thinks lebsians are unacceptable role models for children. On an episode of the bunny-travelogue “Postcards from Buster,” Buster goes to Vermont and learns about maple syrup from a couple of real-life kids and their real-life lesbian parents. That’s them … Continue reading

Posted in The Media | Tagged , , , , , | Comments Off

Independent UK on the Iraq election

By way of further tempering the enthusiasm for the impact of yesterday’s election, the Independent UK weighs in (via Free Press International): The big television networks have been given a list of five polling stations where they will be “allowed” … Continue reading

Posted in Iraq | Tagged , | Comments Off

Will it have a bulge?

The worldwide “deserving-a-statue curve” has been permanently shot to hell: The man replacing the mayor of Baghdad — who was assassinated for his pro-American loyalties — says he is not worried about his ties to Washington. In fact, he’d like … Continue reading

Posted in Iraq | Tagged , | Comments Off

Crapture!

Bill Moyers is being villified by the neo-con/religious right, and Moyers is fighting back. He just wrote a fantastic piece here on how lunatics have taken control of government. To wit: Nearly half the U.S. Congress before the recent election … Continue reading

Posted in Environment | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

The Iraqi election: In the long run…

Before we get back to discussing the current status of torture, propaganda, suppression of civil rights and liberties, the raping of the environment, and the lies of the Bush administration, I wanted to summarize some things about the election in … Continue reading

Posted in Iraq | Tagged , , , , , , | Comments Off

Kids will say the darndest things

The Knight Foundation (press release here) issued the results of a poll today regarding high school students and their views on civil liberties here. The two most scary results: -Seventy-five percent erroneously think flag burning is illegal. -More than a … Continue reading

Posted in Civil liberties | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Republicans? Civil Rights? Funny!

The Republicans are maneuvering to make themselves the party of civil rights. LA Times. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Republicans are so rarely the funny ones, but this is precious. Such cards, they are. And if it’s true, maybe Ken Mehlman and David Dreier … Continue reading

Posted in Republican Party | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off

Report: 9 Billion Unaccounted for in Iraq

According to a report released today by the Special Inspector General for the Reconstruction of Iraq – the Coaliton Provisional Authority (AKA, the US) – cannot account for 9 billion dollars that it dispensed to Iraqi government agencies between October … Continue reading

Posted in Iraq | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Of cable news, neocons, and the election

By way of a follow-up to my previous thoughts (here and here) about the Iraqi election, the media coverage, and how the Bushies are reacting, this article from James Wolcott caught my eye: Yesterday on one of the Fox financial … Continue reading

Posted in Iraq | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

Elections and Bush: does it matter?

Does it matter that voter turnout in central Iraq was light at best? Does it matter that voter turnout in the north and south was strong? Does is matter that an Iraqi election official is claiming 72% voter turnout even … Continue reading

Posted in George W. Bush | Tagged , , | Comments Off

The AP has a time machine?

It’s now only 75 minutes into the Iraq election and the AP has written an item which sounds as if the polls are closed and Sunday has ended in Iraq. Does Hamza Hendawi of the AP have a time machine? … Continue reading

Posted in Iraq | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Iraq votes: riveting cable news coverage

The coverage is gripping. FNC is showing live footage of an empty polling place decorated with lovely flower arrangements and repeated footage of two empty plastic ballot boxes. In a split screen window, an analyst is saying, and I’m not … Continue reading

Posted in Cable News Watchdog | Tagged , , , , , | Comments Off

Freedom of assembly on trial

A diarist at dKos has the story. This is a tragedy. Plain and simple. Bubble Boy must not win this one. Brett Bursey, a long-time political activist, has been found guilty of violating a little-used federal statute that Congress passed … Continue reading

Posted in White House | Tagged , | Comments Off

The deep breath before the plunge

(AP photo and verbatim caption) Iraqi youths stand next to five dead bodies in Ramadi, an insurgent stronghold 113 kilometers (70 miles) west of Baghdad, Saturday, Jan. 29, 2005. In five hours, the polls will open. Is Zarqawi bluffing? Will … Continue reading

Posted in Iraq | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Bring on the democracy!

Here’s where we are at this point: -Rocket attack on the U.S. Embassy. Two Americans dead. Six wounded. -Polling sites bombed, and a suicide bomber hits near the Iranian border. -President Yawar predicts many Iraqis will stay away from the … Continue reading

Posted in Iraq | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Thanks for the reminder, Mr. Bush

Today while meeting with congressional Republicans, George W. Bush gave a preview of his state of the union address next week: “I will remind the country we’re still at war. I want to thank the Congress for providing the necessary … Continue reading

Posted in George W. Bush | Tagged , , | Comments Off