Monthly Archives: December 2008

New Years Eve Thread

Open thread for blogging about your New Year’s Eve festivities — or whatever you want to talk about. After all these years, I’m still trying to figure out how the whole ball-dropping thing.

Posted in Open Thread | Tagged | Comments Off

Context and the Magic Negro Song

Here’s a clip of Bill O’Reilly being deliberately thick about the Saltsman song parody thing. What O’Reilly and, frankly, both of his panelists don’t get is that in addition to the racially stereotypical “Step ‘n Fetch It” voice, the offensive … Continue reading

Posted in Republican Party | Tagged , , , , , , | Comments Off

Prime Time Awesome

Awesome Political Speech of the Year: A More Pefect Union, by Barack Obama

Posted in Morning Awesome | Tagged , | Comments Off

Afternoon Awesome

Awesome Mini-series of the Year: John Adams

Posted in Afternoon Awesome | Tagged | Comments Off

New Huffington Post Column

The Most Ridiculous Political Quote of 2008 Enjoy — and don’t forget to Digg it.

Posted in Huffington Post | Tagged | Comments Off

More 2008 Awesome

Awesome Cable News Moment of the Year (possibly of all time): Keith Olbermann announces Barack Obama’s election night victory.

Posted in Morning Awesome | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off

Blog Awards

Always a bridesmaid, never a whatever. Two of the blogs I contribute to were nominated for blog awards this year: Crooks & Liars and, of course, The Huffington Post. Huzzahs all around!

Posted in Blogging | Tagged | Comments Off

Heh.

MSNBC lower-third graphic just now: Blagojevich Senate Pick Burris: “I don’t have any taint” Jeez. How does Burris find shorts that fit?

Posted in Blagojevich | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

Morning Awesome

Awesome Song(s) of the Year: It’s a tie! Foo Fighters, Long Road to Ruin (above) Death Cab for Cutie, I Will Possess Your Heart (after the jump)

Posted in Morning Awesome | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

Midnight Awesome

Awesome Stranahan Video of the Year: It’s 3:02 (I’m running out of “awesome” slots for all of the videos I want to post before 01/01/09.)

Posted in Morning Awesome | Tagged | Comments Off

Answer for BooMan

BooMan asks: What exactly is a Magic Negro? According to Wikipedia: The magical negro (sometimes called the mystical negro or magic negro) is a supporting, often mystical stock character in fiction who, by use of special insight or powers, helps … Continue reading

Posted in Republican Party | Tagged | Comments Off

Prime Time Thread

Open thread for documenting the constant variety of cable news hackery. And socializing. Tonight! The Blagojevich Taint is back.

Posted in Open Thread | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

Franken Up by 50, Lizard People Sad

And the recount is over, minus some haggling over 1,350 absentee ballots. However, Sam Stein reports: Should Franken emerge victorious after the issue of wrongfully rejected absentee ballots is solved, the Coleman campaign has suggested that they will legally appeal … Continue reading

Posted in Election 2008 | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

What's John Bolton Up To These Days?

Saying batshit crazy things. Like always.

Posted in Middle East | Tagged | Comments Off

Vote for 'Doof of the Year'

Who is your choice for ‘Doof of the Year 2008′? The nominees are as follows. Feel free to add your own. ( polls) UPDATE: Bumped.

Posted in Poll | Tagged | Comments Off

Epic Fail

I can’t imagine why President Bush was unable to reach even a tenative accord between Israel and the Palestinians. He couldn’t even nail the photo op.

Posted in Bush Legacy Project | Tagged | Comments Off

Afternoon Awesome

Awesome TV Series of the Year: Mad Men From the Season 2 finale, Meditations in an Emergency.

Posted in Afternoon Awesome | Tagged | Comments Off

Doof Quote of the Day

It’s only 9:30 a.m. eastern time and we already have a winner. “When I heard about the ["Magic Negro"] story I had to figure out what was going on for myself,” said Mark Ellis, the chairman of the Maine Republican … Continue reading

Posted in Quote | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Cable News Hackery

I didn’t see much of the morning cable news shows, but apparently there was a higher than usual concentration of hackery and intellectual violence. From Leigh in the comments: …over at CNN this morning, they replayed a “report” that Ed … Continue reading

Posted in Far-right Intellectual Violence | Tagged , , , , , , , , | Comments Off

Super Stupid

MSNBC lower-third graphic just now: “GOP Warns About Overspending” The Republicans are silly and stupid. To repeat: federal spending is the only way out of this thing, and history has proved it. But this Republican Party — the party that … Continue reading

Posted in Republican Party | Tagged , , , , , | Comments Off