Monthly Archives: January 2009

Saturday Night Thread

Open thread for your Saturday night blogotubing.

Posted in Open Thread | Tagged | Comments Off

One More Thought On The Fable

by Lee Stranahan Someone feel free to talk me down on this one… What keeps that Scorpion/ Frog fable quoted by Bob from being used to justify the most awful stuff in the world; like pure racism? The lesson seems … Continue reading

Posted in Republican Party | Comments Off

On Guard!

by Lee Stranahan One of the things I love about being able to talk politics in a group blog is the back and forth. So, he’s my response to Bob. Who knows; maybe another radio thing is in order? I … Continue reading

Posted in Republican Party | Comments Off

Afternoon Awesome

“Imagine, if you will, sitting down to your morning coffee — turning on your home computer to read the day’s newspaper…” –KRON news report from 1981 about “electronic information.” h/t Mark Frauenfelder

Posted in Afternoon Awesome | Tagged , | Comments Off

A Fable for Lee

With all due respect to my friend and colleague Mr. Stranahan, I present the following fable — even though it’s become a bit of an overused thing: A scorpion and a frog met on the bank of a stream and … Continue reading

Posted in Republican Party | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

Quote of the Week

“We have bunch of idiots on Wall Street that are kicking sand in the face of the American taxpayer. They don’t get it!” —Senator McCaskill More like this one, please.

Posted in Quote | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

Republican Change

by Lee Stranahan Here’s what is obvious – the Republicans have had their hand forced by outside circumstances and Steele is one result of that. The vote was an acknowledgment of what everyone knows; the GOP isn’t going win elections … Continue reading

Posted in Republican Party | Comments Off

Weekly YouTube Address

Economic recovery, throwing shoes at Wall Street, helping with mortgages and small business loans.

Posted in YouTube Fireside Chat | Tagged , | Comments Off

The Obamas Finally Choose A Dog!

Brooks Kraft / Corbis for TIME Oh, I’m kidding! That’s actually a Counter Assault attack dog with some guards posted near the north portico. The real reason I uploaded this photograph is that I’ve never seen this view of the … Continue reading

Posted in White House | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Make Them Wear Diapers

NPR chatting with Senator Grassley (R-IA) about filibustering the recovery bill: SIEGEL: By the way, Senator, we always just assume that anything in the Senate requires 60 votes because there will be a filibuster threat. Is that right? Does this … Continue reading

Posted in Economy | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off

Morning Awesome

MST3K Saturday! “The Home Economics Story” Part 2 of 2 (Continued from last week.)

Posted in Morning Awesome | Tagged , | Comments Off

Prime Time Thread

Open thread for mocking the constant variety of cable news hackery and whatever else is dunking your donuts. Tonight! How soon before Limbaugh tries to school Democrats on race?

Posted in Open Thread | Tagged | Comments Off

What Will Change?

The election of Michael Steele as chairman of the RNC is certainly a step in the right direction for the GOP, but what will it really change about the Republican Party? They’re still the party of racial fear-mongering and divisiveness. … Continue reading

Posted in Republican Party | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

My Final Thought On Steele

by Lee Stranahan If you feel cynical about this, please consider these words…emphasis added, obviously… The profound mistake of Reverend Wright’s sermons is not that he spoke about racism in our society. It’s that he spoke as if our society … Continue reading

Posted in Republican Party | Comments Off

Steele

by Lee Stranahan Michael Steele is the new head of the Republican National Committee. And he’s…ya know. What’s that thing that Rush Limbaugh keeps talking about all the time? Oh, right. He’s black. And you know what? I’m proud of … Continue reading

Posted in Republican Party | Comments Off

One Step Closer to Robot Armageddon

Modular robots that reassemble themselves after being shattered into pieces. Yeah, it’s only a matter of time before they kill us all. Who wants robot insurance? h/t Mark Frauenfelder

Posted in Science | Tagged | Comments Off

The Experiment

This week, as the Republicans have enjoyed nearly double the cable news airtime as the Democrats, I’m reminded of a theory I wrote about on the Huffington Post last Summer, comparing the cable news treatment of the parties to a … Continue reading

Posted in The Media | Tagged , , | Comments Off

The Road to 60 Votes?

President Obama could ask Senator Judd Gregg (R-NH) to take the Secretary of Commerce post vacated by would-be nominee Bill Richardson. If Gregg takes the gig, New Hampshire’s Democratic governor, John Lynch, could appoint a Democrat to fill the seat. … Continue reading

Posted in Republican Party | Tagged , | Comments Off

Another Reminder

Rush Limbaugh — The Leader of the Republican Party: Yep. Rush Limbaugh is calling the shots for the Republican Party. Because they haven’t quite marginalized and discredited themselves enough. The whole sordid Limbaugh vs. Parkinson’s story here.

Posted in Republican Party | Tagged , , | Comments Off

No Compromise

John Podesta defining the difference between “talking with” and “capitulating to” the Republicans: But I would not confuse [a dialogue with the Republicans] with an idea that he’s compromising on his big goals of trying to deal with the very … Continue reading

Posted in President Obama | Tagged , , | Comments Off