Monthly Archives: March 2009

Crazy Quote of the Day

“Those crazies in Montana who say, ‘we’re going to kill ATF agents because the UN’s going to take over’ — well, they’re beginning to have a case.” —Dick Morris to Neil Cavuto today Killing federal agents: Hilarious! Dick Morris is … Continue reading

Posted in Quote | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Prime Time Thread

Open thread for mocking the constant variety of cable news hackery and whatever else you’re up to. Tonight! Michele Bachmann is also worried about strong robots using old people’s medicine for fuel.

Posted in Open Thread | Tagged | Comments Off

Polling Imaginary Topics

Rasmussen actually polled Americans on a topic that was entirely invented by the far-right — the whole “global currency” fantasy. Eighty-eight percent (88%) of Americans say it is important for the dollar to remain the currency of the United States, … Continue reading

Posted in Poll | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Cause for Concern

Far-right columnist David Horowitz is concerned about the crazy from his side: I have been watching an interesting phenomenon on the Right, which is beginning to cause me concern. I am referring to the over-the-top hysteria in response to the … Continue reading

Posted in Wingnuts | Tagged , , | Comments Off

The Eye of Sauron

Neil Peart’s latest online essay is one of his best. It documents his quest to find the source of a mysterious and looming Eye of Sauron: a cellphone tower currently blighting his wintry Quebec “soulscape.” Incidentally, if Peart were an … Continue reading

Posted in Environment | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

Common Ground

My reaction to the following video was exactly — exactly — the same as Joe Scarborough’s reaction: I have a lot of reasons to dislike Joe Scarborough, but when it comes to that basket case on FOX News Channel, we … Continue reading

Posted in The Media | Tagged , , | Comments Off

'Pardon Me?'

One of the Republican big cheeses on the budget, Congressman Paul Ryan, in an interview with a Bloomberg reporter: HUNT: But the Obama budget deficit is $1.4 trillion. How, roughly, how large will yours be? RYAN: Their budget deficit is … Continue reading

Posted in Republican Party | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Morning Awesome

Afghan Whigs – “Going to Town” Live in Dusseldorf, 1996

Posted in Morning Awesome | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Convenient Patriotism

Since the president announced his Afghanistan plan the other day, I’ve heard quite a bit of far-right undermining of the commander in chief while troops are in harms way. Just a reminder of what I thought was the rule about … Continue reading

Posted in Wingnuts | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off

Prime Time Thread

Open thread for mocking the constant variety of cable news hackery and whatever else you’re up to tonight.

Posted in Open Thread | Tagged | Comments Off

WTF?

The teleprompter crap continues, this time in The Hill: Last week was notable for budget battles and a new Afghanistan strategy, rather than for headline-hogging gaffes, although the president didn’t escape a few media jeers for his reliance on a … Continue reading

Posted in The Media | Tagged | Comments Off

Holy Hell

It turns out the Bushies succeeded in (or got away with) “privatizing” the federal Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation: WASHINGTON – Just months before the start of last year’s stock market collapse, the federal agency that insures the retirement funds of … Continue reading

Posted in Economy | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Punch-Me Face

The new face of FOX News Channel has “punch me” written all over it.

Posted in The Media | Tagged , | Comments Off

Enough!

As long as the workers and communities are protected, it’s about time: WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama on Monday will reject requests for almost $22 billion in new taxpayer bailout money for General Motors Corp. and Chrysler, saying the car … Continue reading

Posted in Economy | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Must Watch

“Taken For A Ride” – A film by Jim Kleina and Martha Olson about how GM and the auto industry attempted to kill American mass transit. Incidentally, this story is partially covered in the book Fast Food Nation in the … Continue reading

Posted in Economy | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Teleprompter Crazy

Jed Lewison summarizes the ridiculousness: By the way, there’s an almost-as-ridiculous story making its rounds today: President Obama has an entourage! Gasp! The president travels with staff and security people! Shocking! During a recession, you’d think the president would make … Continue reading

Posted in President Obama | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Tea Bagger Fail of the Day

Photo: TIA ANN CHAPMAN / HARTFORD COURANT Genius.

Posted in Wingnuts | Tagged | Comments Off

Baiting Bill

If you’re interested in joining with the ThinkProgress effort against Bill O’Reilly, it might also be a good idea to make an extra effort to watch Olbermann every night. Not watching O’Reilly and lobbying his sponsors only amounts to half … Continue reading

Posted in The Media | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Morning Awesome

Nada Surf – “Firecracker”

Posted in Morning Awesome | Tagged , | Comments Off

Chrysler Joins UPS

That’s two advertisers to bail out of O’Reilly’s creepy stalking show.

Posted in The Media | Tagged , | Comments Off