Monthly Archives: April 2009

Can We Have It Back, Please?

On Governor Perry’s watch, Texas has received the most federal funds of any state for disaster relief — quite literally redistributed wealth “from Nebraskans and Virginians and New Yorkers and Alaskans with their Eskimo poetry.” Further quoting President Bartlet: “Can … Continue reading

Posted in Wingnuts | Tagged , , | Comments Off

The Tonight Show and NBC Disses Ernie

Photo: Cover of Life Magazine, April 1957 Very few people realize that Ernie Kovacs was the host of the Tonight Show in the middle 1950s. And it doesn’t really help that NBC and television historians routinely neglect mentioning not just … Continue reading

Posted in The Media | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Prime Time Thread

Thursday night open thread. Go!

Posted in Open Thread | Tagged | Comments Off

Wingnut Twitter Fail

The “Top Conservatives on Twitter” (aka. #tcot) group appears to be throwing in the towel because the two guys who started it are now feuding. Meanwhile, Drudge is claiming he was the first person Sarah Palin chose to follow. In … Continue reading

Posted in Wingnuts | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Conserva-pervs

FOX News is running more footage of bikini girls. And I’m not talking about their usual semi-cross-eyed cast of blonde anchors. When I first moved (permanently) to Pennsylvania after college, I worked at a local radio station and was constantly … Continue reading

Posted in The Media | Tagged , | Comments Off

The Weirdness of the American Voter

Yglesias encapsultates one of the things I worry about the most (at least in terms of politics): I think it’s very possible that Democrats could “gain so much power” that they implement at least some of their “crazy plans” and … Continue reading

Posted in President Obama | Tagged | Comments Off

Doof Quote of the Day

“It’s interesting that people say the right has taken over the Republican Party — but no one can say what we’ve done. We’ve been closeted for the last eight years; it’s time for the right to come out of the … Continue reading

Posted in Quote | Tagged | Comments Off

Carville's New Book Rips Clinton Campaign

James Carville has a new book coming out. Greg Sargent reports on the more juicy bits, including: Mark Penn, Carville says, was a key factor in Hillary’s defeat, because he “suffered fatal confusion on the subject of delegates.” Carville hits … Continue reading

Posted in Election 2008 | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Worst Person

Bill Hussein Cunningham. Why doesn’t he just come right out and say it? Cowardly old bitch.

Posted in The Media | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

Chiclet Brains

Dennis Miller gets self-righteous about the president’s tea party comments: Suddenly Dennis Miller is a friend to regular people, eh? A guy who once referred to Branson, Missouri as “Thunderdome for Chiclet brains?” Miller’s descent from a smart comedian to … Continue reading

Posted in The Media | Tagged , , | Comments Off

'Top of His Game'

Here’s a shocker. I agree with Pat Buchanan. The president was at the top of his game last night. The section about torture was particularly strong — especially the Churchill story which was an undeniably foolproof argument against torture, but … Continue reading

Posted in President Obama | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

Morning Awesome

Pink Floyd – “Pigs on the Wing (Parts One and Two)”

Posted in Morning Awesome | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Crazy Quote of the Day

“On his 100th day in office, Barack Obama enjoys high job approval ratings, no matter what poll you consult. But if a new survey by the New York Times is accurate, the president and some of his policies are significantly … Continue reading

Posted in Quote | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Radio Show

Me and Lee Stranahan on the radio at 10 p.m. EDT with special guest: The Elvis Dingeldein. Listen live here. Call in number: (347) 945-5235, or just add your thoughts in the comments. UPDATE: Live show is over. Continuing with … Continue reading

Posted in Radio Show | Tagged | Comments Off

The President on Torture

Other observations on the press conference later, but I wanted to jump on this right away since it looks like Keith Olbermann and Rachel Maddow are discussing the president’s torture remarks. While I agree that there ought to be investigations … Continue reading

Posted in Torture | Tagged , | Comments Off

Prime Time Thread

Wednesday night open thread. Tonight! Presidential news conference. Plus, me and Lee on the radio with our very special guest, Mr. The Elvis Dingeldein. 10 p.m. EDT. “Be there!”

Posted in Open Thread | Tagged | Comments Off

New Huffington Post Column

100 Days of Competence Versus Crazy Enjoy and Digg.

Posted in Huffington Post | Tagged | Comments Off

Super Stupid

Hoot-Smalley? Adding… I can’t wait to get my first wingnut e-mail telling me about how FDR signed the Hoot-Smalley tariff. And then telling me that I’m a dumb stupid lib.

Posted in Wingnuts | Tagged , | Comments Off

Mmmm. Sacrilicious.

Seriously, this has to be a sacrilege. Jesus being tortured to death on a license plate just above the slogan “Sunshine State?” I wouldn’t be shocked if the circle behind the crucifixion image was supposed to be a Florida orange.

Posted in Religion | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Party Identification

I’ve been hesitant to dance a jig over the declining GOP mainly because I recall very clearly how being a Democrat in the weeks and months after 9/11 was only slightly more popular than being a terrorist. Not to mention … Continue reading

Posted in Poll | Tagged , , | Comments Off