Monthly Archives: May 2009

Sunday Night Thread in America

Open thread for your Sunday night blogotubing in America. Denis Menchov won the Giro d’Italia. And Lance Armstrong didn’t. But he improved throughout the race and if his form continues to improve (and if Contador leaves the team), Armstrong could … Continue reading

Posted in Open Thread | Tagged , | Comments Off

Super Stupid

This headline in The Hill: Romney won’t rule out Sotomayor filibuster Uhhhhh…

Posted in The Media | Tagged , | Comments Off

California Is Screwed

This is staggering: The cuts Mr. Schwarzenegger has proposed to make up the difference, if enacted by the Legislature, would turn California into a place that in some ways would be unrecognizable in modern America: poor children would have no … Continue reading

Posted in Economy | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

Doof Quote of the Day

“I’ve been on food stamps and welfare, did anybody help me out? No. No.” —Craig T. Nelson on the Glenn Beck Show YES! Yes they did! Adding… Speaking of Republicans with plastic surgery, who’s the surgeon responsible for making Craig … Continue reading

Posted in Quote | Tagged , | Comments Off

Week in Review

From Media Matters: (Correction from last week: I accused Scarborough of throwing in with the Buchanan-Beck-Limbaugh-Gingrich crew on this racist crap, and I was clearly wrong. At the very least, Scarborough and O’Reilly are motivated by the political ramifications of … Continue reading

Posted in The Media | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off

Very Serious Question

Do the Republicans seriously want to keep making fun of Speaker Pelosi’s apparent face work, when one of their favoritest, manliest superheroes is stitched up tighter than a catcher’s mitt: That’s gotta be Ron Perlman under all that latex rubber.

Posted in Very Serious Question | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Racist!

The New York Times reports: Other than Ricci, Judge Sotomayor has decided 96 race-related cases while on the court of appeals. Of the 96 cases, Judge Sotomayor and the panel rejected the claim of discrimination roughly 78 times and agreed … Continue reading

Posted in Supreme Court | Tagged , | Comments Off

'Un-American'

Newt Gingrich locking in his position as a leader of the White Wingnut Party. Gingrich warns that all of American civilization is at stake here. “If Civil War, suffrage, and Civil Rights are to mean anything, we cannot accept that … Continue reading

Posted in Supreme Court | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Morning Awesome

“Total Eclipse of the Heart” – Literal Video Version

Posted in Morning Awesome | Tagged , | Comments Off

Saturday Night Thread

Saturday night open thread.

Posted in Open Thread | Tagged | Comments Off

Jay's Goodbye

Last night was Jay Leno’s last Tonight Show. It wasn’t the most touching TV goodbye ever, but it was nice. Video here. Meanwhile, NBC still hasn’t acknowledged on their Tonight Show Experience website that Ernie Kovacs was a host of … Continue reading

Posted in The Media | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Quote of the Day

“When we have taken steps that have violated the Geneva Convention, we rightly have been criticized.” —General David Petraeus admitting that the U.S. has violated the Geneva Convention

Posted in Quote | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Atrios Turf

I know this is Duncan Black’s beat, but it’s worth noting that my adopted hometown of Reading, PA — the home of the famous Reading Railroad — no longer has any sort of commuter or passenger rail service. In other … Continue reading

Posted in Trains | Tagged | Comments Off

'Walking Back' Nothing

Watching MSNBC last night, you’d think President Obama publicly flogged Judge Sotomayor. Of course he did nothing of the sort, but leave it to NBC News to constantly stoke drama — especially when it comes to powerful women. Here are … Continue reading

Posted in Supreme Court | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off

Morning Awesome

MST3K Saturday! “A Date with Your Family” Light blogging today. I’ll be in New York at the Book Expo signing my, you know, book.

Posted in Morning Awesome | Tagged , | Comments Off

I'm Gonna Hurl

Hardball just made me shout loud obscenities at the television. Howard Fineman — with a straight face — said that inside-Washington conventional wisdom about Judge Sotomayor has been shaped by ridiculous attacks from Rush Limbaugh, Tom Tancredo and Glenn Beck. … Continue reading

Posted in Supreme Court | Tagged , , , , , | Comments Off

Prime Time Thread

As the sun goes down on the western shore, it’s your Friday night open thread.

Posted in Open Thread | Tagged | Comments Off

Lanny Davis

It’s quite possible that I despise Lanny Davis’s brand of weak-spoken, capitulating Democratic politics more than the lying insanity of the wingnut right.

Posted in Supreme Court | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Excellent Strategy, Boys

The Republicans continue to dig their own political graves. Yglesias informs us: Michael Goldfarb of The Weekly Standard and Stuart Taylor of National Journal are genuinely engaged in an Ahab-like quest to smoke out examples of the “preferential treatment” of … Continue reading

Posted in Supreme Court | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Quote of the Day

“Translating our name as “the race” is not only inaccurate, it is factually incorrect. “Hispanic” is an ethnicity, not a race. As anyone who has ever met a Dominican American, Mexican American, or Spanish American can attest, Hispanics can be … Continue reading

Posted in Quote | Tagged , , | Comments Off