Monthly Archives: October 2009

Balls Quote of the Day

“For more than a year, we’ve been working to meet the goals of reducing the growth of health-care costs, improving quality and efficiency and expanding coverage. There are a tremendous number of complicated issues that go into reform and the … Continue reading

Posted in Quote | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

Stay Classy, Republicans

The RNC Facebook page reaches out to anti-miscegenation voters.

Posted in Racism | Tagged , | Comments Off

Go Ahead and Opt Out. We Dare You.

At the risk of feeding the opposition, the opt-out is kind of a trick that favors the public option, with the purpose of giving conservadems some political cover next year and in 2012. The bottom line is that it will … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , | Comments Off

The Public Option Confirmed in Senate Bill

Reid is on TV now. The public option with an opt-out clause will be in the final Senate bill. This is very, very good news — especially considering where we were a month or two ago. Reid said there will … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , , | Comments Off

So You're The President…

Within the next hour or so, it looks like Harry Reid is going to announce a healthcare reform bill with a public insurance plan included. This is, of course, fantastic news. But going back to my ‘Denial’ post from earlier, … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off

The Lincoln-Nelson Filibuster

Blanche Lincoln joins Ben Nelson in filibustering healthcare reform. Greg Sargent reports: “Senator Lincoln has not committed her vote to anyone,” Niebaum emailed, adding that “she will have to see the legislative language and cost first and will evaluate it … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off

Denial and Reality

You know what denial is? Deliberately ignoring reality in order to back up a kneejerk conclusion based upon unsourced anonymous quotes and uneducated hunches. That’s denial, sir. Fact: Healthcare reform depended upon the Finance Committee’s participation due to Senate jurisdiction … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off

The Ben Nelson Filibuster

Ben Nelson hasn’t committed to voting for cloture against Republican obstruction yet. “I’ve made no promise. I can’t decide about the procedural vote until I see the underlying bill. It would be, I think, reckless to say I’ll support the … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

Shocker!

Following yesterday’s red alert: The White House issued a statement Sunday evening reaffirming its commitment to a public option for insurance coverage and called reports that the president and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid were pursuing different strategies, “absolutely false.” … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , , , , , | Comments Off

Morning Awesome

Thao with The Get Down Stay Down – “Cool Yourself”

Posted in Morning Awesome | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Defending Fox News and Punching Hippies

I’ve been trying to figure out why the establishment press is so anxious to defend Fox News Channel, considering how Fox News Channel is dedicated to bludgeoning them as being “liberal” and “in the tank” for the president. After all, … Continue reading

Posted in The Media | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

Anonymous Bait

Regarding this, I’m wondering how many times we’re going to be baited with anonymous quotes about the death of the public option. How many times has it happened? Over the last several months it’s almost become a regular feature of … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , , , , , , | Comments Off

The Hypocrites

Congressman Weiner posted a list of the 55 members of Congress who are on Medicare but oppose healthcare reform and the public option. The ‘Get Your Government Hands Off My Medicare’ list after the jump. One name that jumped out … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Morning Awesome

Thought we’d wrap up Stop-motion Week with a rare classic… Stop-motion sequence from The Flintstones on the Rocks I had no idea this existed, but I love the look of it. Way better than any CG.

Posted in Morning Awesome | Tagged , | Comments Off

No One Ever Suspects the Flu Shot!

Posted by Redmond Here’s why Libertarians scare the ever-living fuck out of me. From a friend’s Facebook status earlier today: Obama has now declared H1N1 a national emergency….there go our rights. So remember, kids, when Barack Obama personally kicks in … Continue reading

Posted in Wingnuts | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

Prime Time Thread

On your mark! Get set! We’re riding on the internet! Here’s an open thread for your Saturday evening. And to get the ball rolling, here’s a bit of internet historical goodness. Not safe for work — the screen caps are … Continue reading

Posted in Open Thread | Tagged , , | Comments Off

End of Tunnel, Meet Light.

There are still about a thousand things that could go all haywire at this point, but the public option is beginning to feel very real: Democratic leaders in the Senate and House have concluded that a government-run insurance plan is … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , | Comments Off

The Perils of Weak Leadership

If Harry Reid were a strong leader, breaking Republican filibusters with his 60 vote caucus would be fairly simple. But that’s just not the case. So instead, strong policy hangs in the balance — namely the public option in the … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , , , , , , | Comments Off

On the Record

Finally some confirmation from a named source that the whole “trigger” rumor from yesterday was false. “The report is false. The White House continues to work with the Senate on the merging of the two bills,” said Dan Pfeiffer, a … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Morning Awesome

MST3K Saturday – “Gamera vs. Barugon” The first 10 minutes, give or take.

Posted in Morning Awesome | Tagged , | Comments Off