Monthly Archives: December 2009

Last Open Thread of 2009

New Year’s Eve open thread for you. Topic (if you choose): Which politician or celebrity most embodied the awfulness of this decade?

Posted in Open Thread | Tagged | Comments Off

Crazy Quote of the Week

“And I think we have got to get serious about catching terrorists, not just catching weapons. I‘m waiting for the terrorist who knows kung fu or something that gets on an airplane without a weapon. God knows what that is … Continue reading

Posted in Quote | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

Polling Torture

Ben Smith reports: Polling torture depends, like so many policy polls, on how the question is asked, and it’s an area where both sides claim majority support. Rasmussen’s latest finds 58% saying “yes,” after a bit of context, to: “Should … Continue reading

Posted in Terrorism | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Progressive Robocall Targeting Bernie Sanders

Yep. Bernie Sanders is such a corporate apparatchik. Sam Stein reports: The Progressive Change Campaign Committee is targeting four liberal members of the Democratic caucus in the Senate, urging them to filibuster legislation that does not include a government-run insurance … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off

More Republican Terrorism Hypocrisy

Back in July of 2007, Congress passed a bill called the Improving America’s Security Act of 2007, which implemented more of the recommendations from the 9/11 Commission. One the provisions included $250 million for airport security. Guess what? Eight Republican … Continue reading

Posted in Terrorism | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Go Eric Massa!

This is really great. Congressman Eric Massa (D-NY) goes after Dick Cheney.

Posted in Terrorism | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

Rush Limbaugh

Speedy recovery to Limbaugh and all that glad-handing bullshit. The important question is: What the hell is he doing in exotic Hawaii?! Here’s a Sears mannequin to explain Hawaii: Anway, you don’t drop 100 lbs. in six months without damaging … Continue reading

Posted in Rush Limbaugh | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Morning Awesome

Awesome movie trailer of 2009 “Cat Shit One” – The Animated Series Trailer Production: Studio Anima Director: Kazuya Sasahara

Posted in Morning Awesome | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Favorite Songs of the Decade

Okay, this was challenging so I reserve the right to add, substitute and rearrange. But off the top of my head, here are my Top 20 favorite songs of the decade: 20. Rush – “Far Cry” from Snakes & Arrows … Continue reading

Posted in Music | Tagged | Comments Off

Lack of Insurance Deadlier Than Terrorism

Blue Texan brings us the graph of the week: Remember this when the TSA is taking weird all-nude scans of your body at the airport. This illustrates the distinction between rational fear and irrational fear. Lack of insurance is something … Continue reading

Posted in Terrorism | Tagged , , | Comments Off

The Public Option: Finding Common Ground

I absolutely agree with everything Jon Walker writes in this post at FDL in support of the public option. Contrary to the stereotype, while I agree with writers like Cohn, Klein and Yglesias on the overall bill, I’ve always believed … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Full Body Scans

These body scan machines they’re considering for airport security are just remarkably awful. When we talk about privacy rights and liberty, one of the things we almost instinctively object to is the notion of strangers from the government photographing our … Continue reading

Posted in Terrorism | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

New Huffington Post Column

Republican Hypocrisy on Terrorism Reaches New Levels of Awful Enjoy, Twitter and Digg often!

Posted in Huffington Post | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Bernie Sanders Has A Left Flank? Weird.

I just don’t understand this. Earlier this week, it was Sen. Russ Feingold (D-Wis.) being targeted by the Progressive Change Campaign Committee, which is hoping that some liberal lawmaker will stand up to insist that the public insurance option be … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off

Same Memes, New Names

BooMan makes an interesting point about certain progressive blogging circles: …if you are waking each morning to blog about what a bunch of corporate whores the Democrats and the president are, you haven’t really adjusted your style to the new … Continue reading

Posted in Wingnuts | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Quote of the Day

“Patrick Swayze, Farrah Fawcett and John Hughes died and Orly Taitz, Dick Cheney and that idiot who wrote those Twilight books didn’t.” —Chez Pazienza in his recap of the mostly shitty 2009

Posted in Quote | Tagged | Comments Off

The Wingnut Payback Game

The wingnut freakout over the president’s response to the Underpants Bomber is proof that the far-right is only interested in a childish game of paybacks. They’re simply taking criticisms of Bush and using them to attack President Obama, regardless of … Continue reading

Posted in Wingnuts | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

Morning Awesome

Awesome soundtrack song from 2009: Arcade Fire – “Wake Up” From Where The Wild Things Are

Posted in Morning Awesome | Tagged , , | Comments Off

The Tax on Cadillac Plans

I’m really torn on the excise tax on “Cadillac plans” — insurance policies valued at $23K or more annually — in the Senate bill. On one hand, I would much rather see a rollback of the Bush tax cuts to … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Favorite Superhero Movies of the Decade

This one is likely to generate some arguments and yelling. Anyway, I will geek out now… 10. Spider-Man This would’ve been higher on the list, but there’s one fight between Spider-Man and Green Goblin in broad daylight in the middle … Continue reading

Posted in Movies | Tagged , | Comments Off