Monthly Archives: January 2010

The Impeachment of President Obama

I wrote a Huffington Post column about this a while back, so I’m glad to see today that I’m not the only writer who thinks a Republican Congress would impeach the president. DougJ from Balloon Juice sees the writing on … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , , | Comments Off

What is the Real White House Position?

Jon Cohn reports some positive news: For all of the mixed messages of the last week, sources say that President Obama himself remains absolutely committed to pursuing comprehensive reform–more so, in fact, than many of his political advisers. And if … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , , | Comments Off

China Winning. Good Job, Republicans.

Today’s NYT: TIANJIN, China — China vaulted past competitors in Denmark, Germany, Spain and the United States last year to become the world’s largest maker of wind turbines, and is poised to expand even further this year. China has also … Continue reading

Posted in Environment | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off

Morning Awesome

Charlie Booker – “How to Report the News”

Posted in Morning Awesome | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Good News on Mental Health

This was passed as part of the first bailout in October, 2008: The Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act of 2008 interim rules were issued by the Obama administration and showcased today on January 29, 2010. The law is … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Counting Invisible Calories

I’m kind of going Galt from the blog today. It’s been a crappy week on the blogotubes and I’m really feeling it today. Regardless, this caught my attention on the food reform front: The authors of a new study said … Continue reading

Posted in Food | Tagged | Comments Off

Muzzle Rahm (Or Just Fire Him)

Jon Chait on yesterday’s infuriating Rahm Emanuel healthcare story: I see two potential explanations. Either Obama doesn’t know what he wants to do, and his deputies are spreading conflicting stories in order to see what takes, in which case he … Continue reading

Posted in President Obama | Tagged , | Comments Off

Suck It, Republicans

This was possibly my favorite moment from the Question Time. Not quite Adlai Stevenson nailing Zorin with aerial photos of the Cuban missile sites, but in the present political context, almost as excellent. The only thing that would’ve made it … Continue reading

Posted in President Obama | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off

Morning Awesome

MST3K Saturday – “Teenagers from Outer Space”

Posted in Morning Awesome | Tagged , | Comments Off

Obama vs. The Republican Discussion Thread

Open thread for discussing the president’s debate with the House Republicans in Baltimore. Watch the special report on MSNBC tonight 8-10 p.m. EST.

Posted in Open Thread | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Reid Says They're Moving Forward

Healthcare appears to be moving forward in Congress, despite Rahm Emanuel’s weird remarks. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said the House and Senate are pushing ahead on health care reform. “I had a conversation with the speaker today, and we … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , , | Comments Off

More Like That One, Please

UPDATE 3: MSNBC will be re-airing the event tonight with a special report hosted by Matthews, Olbermann and Maddow. I only caught about 20 minutes of it, but the president just wiped the floor with almost the entire Republican delegation … Continue reading

Posted in President Obama | Tagged , | Comments Off

Nobody Should Run For the Hills — Except Us

Ezra reacts to Emanuel’s remarks about delaying healthcare until after jobs and financial reform. The timetable Emanuel is laying out makes little sense. The jobs bill will take some time. Financial regulation will take much longer. Let’s be conservative and … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , | Comments Off

Good News About the Economy

Steve Benen delivers the 5.7% economic growth numbers today in convenient graph form: I dig the looks of that.

Posted in Economy | Tagged , | Comments Off

Healthcare Reform is Not Dead

Jim VandeHei said on Morning Joe today that healthcare is dead. This, of course, is ridiculous. While Emanuel is suggesting that it’s going to wait until after jobs and financial regulatory reform, it might actually need the time to clear … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , , , , , | Comments Off

Must… Not… Lose… Shpadoinkle

Greg Sargent detailed several items in today’s Morning Plum that are truly testing my patience with the Democrats and the administration. Some choice items: * Rahm Emanuel lays out the new schedule: We’re doing health care sometime later, after jobs … Continue reading

Posted in Democratic Party | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off

Reconciliation Madness

Reconciliation might not be so quick. For example, according TNR: The Finance Committee and the Health Committee would each have to mark up their portions of the reconciliation bill. Neither panel’s rules presently allow anything analogous to the cloture process … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Morning Awesome

Our U2 covers theme week wraps up almost where it began with… Elvis Costello performing “Mysterious Ways”

Posted in Morning Awesome | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

Fighting to Save a Mountain

Americans putting their asses on the line for a good cause. Literally. In West Virginia, climate activists are not just getting angry, they’re taking action — blocking the demolition of Coal River Mountain by coal company Massey Energy. The activists, … Continue reading

Posted in Environment | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Stay Classy, Teabaggers

Nope. Those teabaggers aren’t motivated by racism. Not at all. Then again, there’s this fundraising image depicting the president as a pimp. Oh, and it comes from Dale “Niggar” Robertson’s TeaParty.org outfit. Keep going, teabaggers! You’re doing great!

Posted in Wingnuts | Tagged , , | Comments Off