Monthly Archives: February 2010

9/11 Every Month

Bookending the death toll due to a lack of health insurance, Benen presents a more conservative, yet still immorally sizable casualty number: For adult Americans under the age of 65 — those, in other words, who can’t qualify for our … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , | Comments Off

Quote of the Day

“Can I say that 20 million Americans unemployed, the fact that we’re worrying about the status of the White House social secretary…” Paul Krugman on This Week If you’re a Krugman follower, this New Yorker piece is a must-read.

Posted in Quote | Tagged , | Comments Off

The Cost of Doing Nothing

This piece at the New York Times by Reed Abelson is a must-read. The reality of not passing the bill: There will be a cost in lives, too. Mr. Pollack’s organization estimates that as many as 275,000 people will die … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , | Comments Off

Robot Insurance

I really need to go into the “trick evangelicals into paying me cash money” business. Caring for Pets Left Behind by the Rapture For a fee, this service will place your dog or cat in the home of a caring … Continue reading

Posted in Religion | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

Morning Awesome

The Tragically Hip theme week continues with… “The Darkest Ones” Featuring the Trailer Park Boys

Posted in Morning Awesome | Tagged , | Comments Off

From the Mouths of Boobs

by Can’t wait to hear what Pat Robertson says about Chile. Licking my lips in anticipation of the savory bits of wisdom which are sure to flow from the gaping sluice of Rush Limbaugh. And as each challenge pushes the … Continue reading

Posted in Wingnuts | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off

Nuclear Option vs. Nookyooler Option

Here’s the wingnut dynamic. Republican lawmakers know exactly what budget reconciliation is. They know what the “nuclear option” is, too. And they’re cynically tricking their mouth-breathing followers into believing those two things are the same. They’re not. Budget reconciliation is … Continue reading

Posted in Republican Party | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off

Follow the Bob & Elvis Show on Twitter

Mark your calendars for this Thursday March 4, 2010 — 10 a.m. EST — that’s when the Bob & Elvis Show officially dumps onto the tubes. You’ll be able to listen and call the live show (toll free!) over at … Continue reading

Posted in Radio Show | Tagged , | Comments Off

Morning Awesome

MST3K Saturday – Ed Wood’s “Bride of the Monster”

Posted in Morning Awesome | Tagged , | Comments Off

Worst Persons

Michelle Malkin, Glenn Beck, Laura Ingraham and Fox Nation. Heartless bastards. When the karma comes along, I hope it burns and itches.

Posted in Wingnuts | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off

Closer to Passing The Damn Bill

Greg Sargent brings us this: “The President will take into account what he heard yesterday, work through with the team some ideas and make an announcement next week about the way forward,” he said. Gibbs declined to say, however, whether … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Republicans Shut Down Transportation Dept.

I just got word from a source on the Hill (yes, I have sources) that Jim Bunning’s obstructionism has blocked the release of Highway Trust Fund money for the next 30 days, consequently, the Department of Transportation will have to … Continue reading

Posted in Republican Party | Tagged , , | Comments Off

New Walletpop Column

Invasions of the Body Scanners Tweet and Digg often!

Posted in Terrorism | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off

Pass the Damn Bill

It looks like it’s really going to happen. TPM reports: The White House has given Congressional leaders the all-clear to move ahead on health care reform, with both the House and Senate aiming to pass final legislation by April. A … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Healthcare Reform Is Not A Game

Predictably, the tubes and the TV are loaded with wanks and hacks treating the summit like it was a sporting event. Winners. Losers. All the usual crap that distracts from the issue and turns politics into a sporting event. This … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , | Comments Off

Wankery Defined

It’s this kind of attitude about the “smackdown” view of politics that, as Jon Stewart said, is hurting America. “I think it was a draw, which was a Republican win,” said Democratic political consultant Dan Gerstein. “The Republican tone was … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Morning Awesome

The Tragically Hip – “At The Hundredth Meridian” The impromptu Tragically Hip theme week continues.

Posted in Morning Awesome | Tagged , | Comments Off

Harry Reid Could Use Her Balls

Speaker Pelosi is rapidly proving herself to be one of the strongest voices in all of Congress. To wit: I think it’s really important to note, though, and I want the record to show—because two statements were made here that … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Because It's Not About Big Government Spending

A Sullivan reader: If these Tea Party people were serious about fiscal sanity, they would boo Ryan on sight for his vote for Medicare D. They would boo Cantor on sight. They would boo Boehner on sight. They would run … Continue reading

Posted in Wingnuts | Tagged , , , , , | Comments Off

Republican Summit Fail

Admittedly, I was trapped inside a multitasking loop of death today, but I listened to as much of the summit as I could, and this much is obvious: given an opportunity to get serious, the Republicans made with the same … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , , , | Comments Off