Monthly Archives: March 2010

Oh Noes! Democrats Booked Hotel Rooms!

Via John Cole, the Republicans are calling out the DNC for, you know, booking hotel rooms. The DNC spent at least $2,204,000 for luxury hotels & caterers, Including: The DNC has spent at least $423,000 at Mandarin Oriental Hotels. (Federal … Continue reading

Posted in Republican Party | Tagged , , | Comments Off

The Offshore Drilling Bluff?

Matt Osborne thinks it’s a clever ruse. What you’re seeing here is oil smoke to get a climate bill. Offshore drilling has always and forever been an industry bluff — there’s no immediate incentive to expand domestic capacity, especially offshore, … Continue reading

Posted in Environment | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

So Much for An Energized Base

I can’t seem to wrap my head around the political calculus of this offshore drilling announcement. It’s succeeding in deflating the base which was energized (ironic!) following the passage of healthcare reform despite the compromises. It’s a preemptive concession to … Continue reading

Posted in Environment | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

Morning Joe's Obsession with "Both Sides"

Yes, Morning Joe people, there might be odd things on the DNC’s expense ledger, too. But the Democrats don’t routinely praise themselves as the moral/family values party, then turn around and fund junkets to bondage clubs. It’s the hypocrisy. The … Continue reading

Posted in The Media | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

Who's Drilling Where Now?

No sir, I don’t like it. The Obama administration is proposing to open vast expanses of water along the Atlantic coastline, the eastern Gulf of Mexico and the north coast of Alaska to oil and natural gas drilling, much of … Continue reading

Posted in Environment | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off

Morning Awesome

Elementary School ‘Scarface’ Chez writes: “I challenge you to watch this and not question about half-way through it whether you’ve gone insane.”

Posted in Morning Awesome | Tagged , | Comments Off

Get A Brain, Morans

John Cole points us to this Flickr account featuring a collection of oddly-spelled teabagger signs — described as “teabonics.” This one right off the bat almost made me snarf my beverage: Whoever is responsible for this Flickr account has single-handedly … Continue reading

Posted in Wingnuts | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Doof Quote of the Day

“Unfortunately, some who resort to violent threats and others, they come up on any side of the political spectrum.” Eric Cantor Ah yes. The “both sides” argument. In this case, it’s like saying, everyone breaks the law at some point … Continue reading

Posted in Quote | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off

All Done. For Now.

The healthcare reform sidecar was signed by the president today, and, along with it, very smart student loan reform. “For a long time, our student loan system has worked for banks and financial institutions,” President Obama said. “Today, we’re finally … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , | Comments Off

Lame-stream Media

Sarah Palin’s use of the ‘lame-stream media’ meme is very serious, isn’t it? How many serious Democratic leaders and presidential hopefuls have gone around repeating stupid memes like that? On second thought, I remember Hillary Clinton using the phrase “Rethuglicans” … Continue reading

Posted in Sarah Palin | Tagged | Comments Off

Obama Wins. Flawless Victory.

Actually, it’s Secretary Sebelius who has convinced the insurance cartel to cut the shit. In a letter to Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, the industry’s top lobbyist said insurers will accept new regulations to dispel uncertainty over a … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , | Comments Off

Morning Joe

Predictably, the Morning Joe crew were just trying to pass off the idea that there’s violence and incendiary language “on both sides.” Mika seemed desperate to find “balance” while reporting on Norman Leboon’s YouTube threat against Eric Cantor. Okay, then, … Continue reading

Posted in Morning Joe | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

Morning Awesome

Jane’s Addiction – “Just Because”

Posted in Morning Awesome | Tagged , | Comments Off

Foxy Lady!

by According to what Sarah Palin is trumpeting (well, bleating would be more melodically accurate) on her and John McCain’s “Tuesdays with Morrie Express” tour, America is alternately at the threshold of Armageddon, under assault by armies of illegals or … Continue reading

Posted in Sarah Palin | Tagged | Comments Off

Don't Eff With Me, Fellas

Secretary Sebelius has officially warned the insurance cartel to cut the shit: In the wake of reports that insurance companies are looking for loopholes in the new law enabling them to avoid covering kids with pre-existing conditions, HHS sec Kathleen … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , | Comments Off

Republican Family Values

You’ve probably heard all about this today, but lookit: Washington (CNN) — A California-based political consultant who charged the Republican National Committee nearly $2,000 for a night out at Voyeur — a risqué West Hollywood nightclub now at center of … Continue reading

Posted in Republican Party | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

Bite Me, Republicans

This infuriates me: WASHINGTON (CN) – Republicans heaped ridicule on Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood at a Wednesday hearing after LaHood suggested that bicycling and walking are just as good ways to get around as cars. To laughter, Republican House members … Continue reading

Posted in Cycling | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

Subtle and Not-So-Subtle Tea Party Racism

Will Bunch posted his first teabagger item for the Daily News. The following two profiles jumped off the page. Perhaps none more so than Phillis Kluft, 71, who raised four kids as a single mom in East Haven, Conn., and … Continue reading

Posted in Wingnuts | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off

Who? Us?

Think Progress assembled a reel of GOP lawmakers stoking violence: And as Cantor proved, as soon as something really serious happens, it won’t be their fault. To wit, here’s Newt Gingrich: I think the Democratic leadership has to take some … Continue reading

Posted in Wingnuts | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off

The First Big Loophole

The hubris of the insurance cartel never ceases to amaze: Insurers agree that if they provide insurance for a child, they must cover pre-existing conditions. But, they say, the law does not require them to write insurance for the child … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , | Comments Off