Monthly Archives: July 2010

The Oil Is Still There!

Mac McClelland debunks this government and media myth that all of the Gulf oil has vanished like magical choco-rabbits. I sent one text message to Bloomberg’s Lizzie O’Leary, who’s standing on Grand Isle, Louisiana, right now, asking how the beach … Continue reading

Posted in Environment | Tagged , , | Comments Off

New Huffington Post Column

The GOP Plot to Screw the Economy and the Middle Class Tweet and Digg often. It’s an epic.

Posted in Huffington Post | Tagged , | Comments Off

Judge Blocks Arizona Law, Hates America

In case you haven’t heard by now, U.S. District Judge Susan Bolton blocked some of the most controversial aspects of the Arizona immigration law, including the “papers, please” section. Naturally, the wingnut right is outraged — some callers on the … Continue reading

Posted in Immigration | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Coal Industry to Buy Candidates

Thanks to the Citizens United decision… “With the recent Supreme Court ruling, we are in a position to be able to take corporate positions that were not previously available in allowing our voices to be heard,” wrote Roger Nicholson, senior … Continue reading

Posted in Elections | Tagged , , , , , , | Comments Off

Yes, There's Another Oil Spill

And it’s the largest oil spill ever in the mid-West. A state of emergency has been declared in southwest Michigan’s Kalamazoo County as more than 800,000 gallons of oil released into a creek began making its way downstream in the … Continue reading

Posted in Environment | Tagged , , | Comments Off

No Voting Rights for Low Income Americans

Here we see Fox News implying that perhaps Americans who didn’t earn enough to pay federal income taxes last year should — yes — lose their voting rights. Yes, once again, the far-right is bitching about low taxes. Do they … Continue reading

Posted in Wingnuts | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off

Morning Awesome

The Peter Serafinowicz Show – “The Butterfield Diet Plan”

Posted in Morning Awesome | Tagged , | Comments Off

Just Thinking Out Loud Here

I wonder if the House Republicans and conservadems made sure the war funding bill was deficit neutral. Likewise, I wonder if Kent Conrad and Tom Coburn will demand a CBO scoring before they take up the bill in the Senate. … Continue reading

Posted in Afghanistan | Tagged , | Comments Off

Paul Ryan Wants to Raise Your Taxes

Yesterday on Hardball, Congressman Paul Ryan — you know, one of the smart Republicans — was outlining for Chris Matthews the specific areas the Republicans would like to cut in order to pay for the Bush tax cuts and to … Continue reading

Posted in Economy | Tagged , , , , , | Comments Off

Republican Filibuster of the Day

Today they filibustered the DISCLOSE Act… The DISCLOSE Act would require corporations and interest groups to identify themselves when they sponsor political ads and, in the case of smaller organizations, to reveal their donors. Yep. The Republicans want to make … Continue reading

Posted in Elections | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

Quote of the Day

“The Sherrod story is a reminder — much like the 2004 assault on John Kerry by the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth — that the old media are often swayed by controversies pushed by the conservative new media. In many … Continue reading

Posted in Quote | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Another Gulf Oil Leak

Just in: Adding insult to the Gulf’s injury, a wellhead hit by a tug boat is now spewing oil near a Louisiana marsh area, officials said Tuesday. The oil is shooting up 20 feet into the air, the office of … Continue reading

Posted in Environment | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

The Glenn Beck Body Count

Eric Boehlert on Glenn Beck’s conspiratorial crusade against the little-known progressive group The Tides Foundation: Everybody in America would have found out about the Tides Foundation last week if Byron Williams had had his way. He’s the right-wing, government-hating, gun-toting … Continue reading

Posted in Wingnuts | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

The Public Option

The good news… Rep. Lynn Woolsey (D-CA), co-chair of the progressive caucus, is making good on her promise to continue pushing for a public health insurance option after the enactment of sweeping reform legislation. On Thursday afternoon, the Northern California … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , , | Comments Off

RNC Event to Feature Breitbart

Republican career advice: Orchestrate multiple hoaxes and get paid by the GOP! Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele has a party fundraising event coming up in August that is scheduled to feature a very special guest: Conservative media activist Andrew … Continue reading

Posted in Wingnuts | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

Morning Awesome

The 2010 Tour de France in Three Acts

Posted in Morning Awesome | Tagged , | Comments Off

Hayward Is Out

It sounds official: “On Monday, BP’s board is expected to announce that Hayward, 53, will step down on Oct. 1. The departure, say people close to the company, will be his decision as much as the board’s. Hayward, a geologist … Continue reading

Posted in Environment | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

The American Dream

Go read this now, then come back and discuss. The Republican solution for these problems? More tax cuts for the super rich, less spending on the poor and middle class, and more spending on the war machine. Americans are a … Continue reading

Posted in Wingnuts | Tagged , | Comments Off

Worst Person

Jeffrey Lord at the American Spectator for accusing Shirley Sherrod of lying — lying about a lynching, of all things. Lord doesn’t know that “lynching” doesn’t specifically mean “hanging.”

Posted in Wingnuts | Tagged , , | Comments Off

'Wingnuts'

Several commenters are having issues with my use of the slang “wingnut.” Boiled down, the argument is that I won’t convince anyone if I’m using a pejorative term to describe them. I want to emphasize here that I’m not categorically … Continue reading

Posted in Wingnuts | Tagged , | Comments Off