Monthly Archives: August 2010

All of the 90s Mayhem, Without the Prosperity

Krugman spells out the consequences should the Republican take the House: We already know part of the answer: Politico reports that they’re gearing up for a repeat performance of the 1990s, with a “wave of committee investigations” — several of … Continue reading

Posted in Economy | Tagged , | Comments Off

New Left Media at the Beck Concert

This is a brilliant and unfiltered cross-section of the Beck tea party people. Another home run for Chase Whiteside at New Left Media.

Posted in Wingnuts | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off

Some Background on Beck's 'The Blaze'

On his radio show today, Glenn Beck revealed the inspiration behind his new Huffington knockoff site, The Blaze. According to Beck, The Blaze is named after an 18th Century daily publication issued by a pudgy, cross-eyed Calvinist preacher named George … Continue reading

Posted in Wingnuts | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off

A Majority of Republicans Are Crazy

This is just staggeringly dumb, while also being a solid indicator of the unseriousness of the modern Republican Party. The latest Newsweek poll via Sam Stein: A majority of Republicans believe that President Barack Obama “sympathizes with the goals of … Continue reading

Posted in Republican Party | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

Beck Takes On the Huffington Post

Via Will Bunch: Beck’s new site is called TheBlaze.com, and will be edited by Scott Baker, formerly of Breitbart TV and host of “The B-Cast”. [...] People will inevitably make the comparison to Arianna Huffington – whether Beck’s role as … Continue reading

Posted in Wingnuts | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Morning Awesome

Black Drawing Chalks – “My Favorite Way” Directed by Marck Al

Posted in Morning Awesome | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Americans Want Investigations, Inaction

Not good: Republicans lead by 51% to 41% among registered voters in Gallup weekly tracking of 2010 congressional voting preferences. The 10-percentage-point lead is the GOP’s largest so far this year and is its largest in Gallup’s history of tracking … Continue reading

Posted in Poll | Tagged , , , , , | Comments Off

The Incredible Inedible Egg

Effing gross: WASHINGTON (AP) — Food and Drug Administration investigators have found rodents, seeping manure and even maggots at the Iowa egg farms believed to be responsible for as many as 1,500 cases of salmonella poisoning. FDA officials released their … Continue reading

Posted in Food | Tagged , , | Comments Off

We Don't Need to Use Beck's Tactics

The wingnut outrage of the day happens to be one I kind of sympathize with. Apparently a Huffington Post contributor wrote an item today which offered a $100,000 reward for either Glenn Beck’s phone records or (barf) a Glenn Beck … Continue reading

Posted in Wingnuts | Tagged , , | Comments Off

A Mormon Leading a Christian Revival. That's Rich.

A conservative Christian friend of mine posted this today: I get very uncomfortable when I see Christians go to a Glenn Beck rally where Beck is invoking God. Whatever we have in common with him politically, Mormons are decidedly outside … Continue reading

Posted in Wingnuts | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Worst Persons in the World

British Petroleum for this: While the world was focused on the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, a BP refinery here released huge amounts of toxic chemicals into the air that went unnoticed by residents until many saw their … Continue reading

Posted in Environment | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off

The Glenn Beck Con Job

While it’s fun to play the crowd-size game, the real numbers we should be investigating when it comes to Glenn Beck are the dollar figures. How much did the event cost? We don’t know. Will Bunch, in The Backlash, writes … Continue reading

Posted in Wingnuts | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Good News for 2012

Republicans love Sarah Palin, but the rest of the country doesn’t. By a large margin. According to the new survey from Vanity Fair and CBS News’ 60 Minutes, only 1 in 4 of all adults thinks Palin is qualified to … Continue reading

Posted in Sarah Palin | Tagged , | Comments Off

Beck the Televangelist

The lawn concert on Saturday turned out to be a massive Christian revival — complete with financial bilking (but that’s a different story). And there was a lesser known event Friday night at the Kennedy Center called “America’s Divine Destiny” … Continue reading

Posted in Wingnuts | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

Morning Awesome

The Von Bondies – “Pale Bride”

Posted in Morning Awesome | Tagged , | Comments Off

Second Stimulus

Laura Tyson is a member of the Obama administration’s Economic Recovery Advisory Board and she wrote an op/ed for the New York Times titled “Why We Need a Second Stimulus.” Two forms of spending with the biggest and quickest bang … Continue reading

Posted in Economy | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

Mosque Opponents Torch Site

Not the Park51 site, but the location of the mosque in Tennessee. Federal officials are investigating a fire that started overnight at the site of a new Islamic center in a Nashville suburb. Ben Goodwin of the Rutherford County Sheriff’s … Continue reading

Posted in Religion | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off

87,000 Suckers

Like any good faith-healer revival, Glenn Beck exploited and scammed thousands of people out of their money yesterday using common televangelist tricks of the trade, vague inspirational poster buzzwords and the American troops. I’d be shocked if there weren’t at … Continue reading

Posted in Wingnuts | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Morning Awesome

The Empire Strikes Back – The Silent Film Version

Posted in Morning Awesome | Tagged , | Comments Off

America Wants More Stimulus

The just-released Newsweek poll: “Which one of the following do you think should have the higher priority for policy-makers in Washington right now: 37% Reducing the federal budget deficit 57% Federal spending to create jobs 6% Don’t know Can we … Continue reading

Posted in Economy | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off