Monthly Archives: September 2010

The Terrorists Won

Via Digby, this should make you want to vomit. Kathy Parker, a 43-year-old Elkton, Md., woman, who was flying out of Philadelphia International Airport on Aug. 8. She says she was heading to Charlotte, N.C., for work that Sunday night … Continue reading

Posted in Terrorism | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Voter Contradictions in Convenient Poll Form

Via Sargent, here’s an interesting illustration of how ass-backwards and kerfuffled voters are right now: Whose economic policies are more likely to improve economic conditions — the Democrats in Congress or the Republicans in Congress? Democrats in Congress 41% Republicans … Continue reading

Posted in Economy | Tagged , , | Comments Off

We Won't Have Rahm to Kick Around

Just in: Although no final decision has been made because of family considerations, ABC News has learned that White House officials are preparing for Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel to announce on Friday — as Congress adjourns for recess — … Continue reading

Posted in White House | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

Morning Awesome

Our The Office (UK) theme week continues with David Brent’s dance.

Posted in Morning Awesome | Tagged , | Comments Off

The Reactionary Mandate

Michael Crowley on the administration’s Anwar Awlaki and wiretap positions: My hunch is that Obama could make an excellent argument against all these positions, and that it pains him to adopt them. But also that he gets constant and chilling … Continue reading

Posted in Terrorism | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Wingnut Come Lately

It’s been an entertaining day around wingnuttia. Drudge and others are outraged — OUTRAGED, I tells ya’ — about the government’s attempt to eavesdrop on internet usage. Little known fact: the reason the government can do this is because the … Continue reading

Posted in Wingnuts | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off

Beck's Obsession with Liberal Violence

Glenn Beck has been playing out an extended warning to his audience about violent progressives with itchy trigger fingers — waiting in the dark to attack old fashioned folks. Here’s the latest from today’s radio show: Yeah, people who are … Continue reading

Posted in Wingnuts | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Inexcusable

I’ve spent a considerable amount of time trying to unravel this issue and, for the life of me, I can’t figure out why the Obama administration is so hell bent and determined to get legal clearance for the assassination of … Continue reading

Posted in Terrorism | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

The Counterintuitive Politics of Healthcare

Between the wingnut loud noises and the general demonization of “socialized medicine,” I think it’s generally assumed that government interference in healthcare is a third rail at this point. But it turns out the exact opposite is true. By overwhelming … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Morning Awesome

Stereophonics – “Handbags and Gladrags” Continuing our theme week dedicated to The Office (UK).

Posted in Morning Awesome | Tagged , | Comments Off

Nothing Wrong With Being Prepared

On the heels of the Chewie post, here’s some interesting news from the UN: THE United Nations was set today to appoint an obscure Malaysian astrophysicist to act as Earth’s first contact for any aliens that may come visiting. Mazlan … Continue reading

Posted in Science | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

How George Lucas Stole Chewbacca

This is a really thorough history of the development of Chewie. The most interesting aspect of the piece is that Lucas very likely stole the look of Chewie from a science fiction illustration by John Schoenherr. The side-by-side comparison of … Continue reading

Posted in Movies | Tagged , | Comments Off

Saint Reagan's Tax Hikes

In 1981, Ronald Reagan cut taxes by around $275 billion. But when the realization of staggering deficits began to set in, Reagan did the fiscally responsible thing. He raised taxes 11 times — enough to effectively roll back half of … Continue reading

Posted in Republican Party | Tagged , , , , , | Comments Off

The Politics of Stink Bugs

Here on the east coast, the introduced insect species known as the “stink bug” is everywhere. I mean, I must flush two dozen of these bastards every day. They’re all over the windows, crawling up the walls, buzzing aimlessly around … Continue reading

Posted in Republican Party | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Morning Awesome

Ricky Gervais and Noel Gallagher – “Free Love Freeway”

Posted in Morning Awesome | Tagged , | Comments Off

Worst Persons

A collection agency associated with Bank of America for this awfulness: Two days after being confronted by ABC News, Bank of America has fired a debt collection agency after several of its operators were caught using racist and obscene phone … Continue reading

Posted in Economy | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Doof Quote of the Day

“The video looks to me like it was staged. He didn’t do real work. They said it was hot, it was hard. I saw no sweat.” Rep. Steve King (R-Freakdog) on a video portraying Stephen Colbert’s brief stint as a … Continue reading

Posted in Quote | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

Because They're Into Small Government

The tea party is all about ‘Don’t Tread on Me’ which is why Christine O’Donnell said she wants to stop the whole country from having sex. NIES: You’re going to stop the whole country from having sex? O’DONNELL: Yeah. Yeah! … Continue reading

Posted in Wingnuts | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Creepy Robot of the Day

We’re now training robots to use weaponry. Seriously, what?! (ht Ashby)

Posted in Science | Tagged | Comments Off

Morning Awesome

MST3K Saturday – “Manhunt in Space”

Posted in Morning Awesome | Tagged , | Comments Off