Monthly Archives: January 2011

My First Post About Egypt

Okay, so I haven’t been covering Egypt here. I’m a shitty blogger, etc. The reason I haven’t posted anything yet is chiefly because I’m ambivalent about the end game — as I am with any large scale uprising. We simply … Continue reading

Posted in International Relations | Tagged | Comments Off

1 Out Of 91,000

Posted by JM Ashby Out of 91,000 claims for final settlement received by the Gulf Coast Claims Facility, only one has received an actual settlement check in the mail. Other claimants have been strung along with a stream of stopgap … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off

Organic Biggies Surrender to Monsanto

One of the most dangerous aspects of GMO seeds is the fact that they tend to pollute organic farms, mixing the genetically modified seeds with seeds that are supposed to be unmodified. Also, the GMO seed makes the organic seed … Continue reading

Posted in Food | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Judge Rules Healthcare Law Unconstitutional

Just in: A Florida judge could on Monday become the second U.S. judge to declare President Barack Obama’s healthcare reform law unconstitutional, in the biggest legal challenge yet to federal authority to enact the law. […] Vinson has suggested strongly … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , | Comments Off

Whining Palin Plays the Victim Again

Oh, and she injected herself into the Egypt situation. At a speech in Reno on Saturday, Sarah Palin said she thinks a recently discussed media boycott of her is good–because then she won’t get “blamed” for the uprising in Egypt. … Continue reading

Posted in Sarah Palin | Tagged , | Comments Off

Public Employees Are People Too

Posted by JM Ashby Any wingnut you can stick in front of a camera these days expresses fantastical visions of cutting the federal work force to reduce spending and to force public employees to “learn how to make it like … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off

The Fox Geezer Effect

Even real-life conservatives are beginning to worry about the Fox effect: Over the past couple of years, I’ve been keeping track of a trend among friends around my age (late thirties to mid-forties). Eight of us (so far) share something … Continue reading

Posted in Wingnuts | Tagged , , , , , , | Comments Off

Morning Awesome

Smashing Pumpkins – “Thirty Three”

Posted in Morning Awesome | Tagged , , | Comments Off

You Get What You Pay For

Posted by JM Ashby When I was young, I was taught that you get what you pay for. That is to say, if you want a good or service that is of sufficient quality you have to pay for it. … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off

Progressive Hunter

It might be a little late to bring this up, but screw it. Since Tucson, I don’t think the following story has received nearly enough attention by the press. Self-proclaimed Glenn Beck disciple Byron Williams wounded two police officers while … Continue reading

Posted in Wingnuts | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off

Supporting the Troops

Here’s how Michele Bachmann expresses her support for the troops when they come home from the war: Tea party favorite Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-Minn., has unveiled a plan for cutting $400 billion in federal spending that includes freezing Veterans Affairs … Continue reading

Posted in Wingnuts | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Morning Awesome

Yes – “Yours Is No Disgrace” Live from the 1991 Union Tour

Posted in Morning Awesome | Tagged , | Comments Off

Quote of the Day

“I’m sorry, I believe in evolution.” National Review’s Will Cain, who is a conservative, cock-blocking Rep. Jack Kingston’s denial of evolution on last night’s Bill Maher

Posted in Quote | Tagged , , , , , , | Comments Off

Granny Is Safe

Posted by JM Ashby Contrary to popular belief, President Obama does spend quite a lot of time both defending his legislative accomplishments and explaining his future goals. Given the corporate media’s unwillingness to actually report the truth, and not simply … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off

Jon Stewart vs Bill O – Go!

Posted by JM Ashby Jon Stewart brings The Funny in this epic takedown of Bill O The Clown’s defense of his Nazi references. The Daily Show With Jon Stewart Mon – Thurs 11p / 10c Bill O’Reilly Defends His Nazi … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off

House GOP To Redefine Rape, Incest

Posted by JM Ashby Is this what Americans voted for? Perhaps it is, if you’re a member of the Westboro Baptist Church. There are a lot of serious problems facing the nation right now, so of course the new GOP … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off

Morning Awesome

MST3K Saturday – “Laserblast”

Posted in Morning Awesome | Tagged , | Comments Off

The 'New Civility' Can Feel Free to Bite Me

The latest casualty in the liberal war against aggressive debate: MSNBC has shelved Ed Schultz’ “Psycho Talk” segment, Schultz announced on his radio show Thursday. The segment, a sort of cousin to Keith Olbermann’s “Worst Persons In The World,” features … Continue reading

Posted in The Media | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off

4 Out Of 47

Posted by JM Ashby Four is the number of senators who attended the first meeting of the Tea Party Caucus. Almost none of the Tea Party favorites who won in November showed up to the meeting including poster boy Marco … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off

The United States of America

Why each state is awesome. Why each state sucks.

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , | Comments Off