Monthly Archives: March 2011

Dynamite Candidates

Artist – Mike Luckovich

Posted in Cartoons | Comments Off

Unserious Republicans

In my Huffington Post column about the unserious Republican Party, I singled out “wacky” Republican Louie Gohmert. This is exactly what I’m talking about — Gohmert thinks the Libya action is a conspiracy to deplete the military so the president … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Another Day, Another Abortion Bill

How many abortion bills does this make now? I lost count. WASHINGTON (AP) – House Republicans want to limit tax breaks for insurance policies that cover abortions as lawmakers try to chip away at President Barack Obama’s health overhaul. The … Continue reading

Posted in Abortion | Comments Off

A New Low in Florida

Just when you thought one of the heads attached to the Republican-Governor Hydra of Awfulness couldn’t be any more revolting, one of them proves you wrong. Governor Rick Scott of Florida is attending a torch-running ceremony today for the Special … Continue reading

Posted in Ethics | Comments Off

Crazy Quote of the Day

“I just want you to think about this, in my view, giant loophole that could be created where someone who could — now i want to be careful, I don’t want to disparage in any way someone who has gone … Continue reading

Posted in Quote | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Breakthrough on the Budget?

Big (but not really “good”) news on the budget negotiations: Sources tell me that budget negotiators on Capitol Hill have tentatively agreed on a deal that would involve at least $33 billion in spending cuts from this year’s budget. That’s … Continue reading

Posted in Economy | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off

New Huffington Post Column

The Republicans Lack the Seriousness to Govern Tweet, Like and Digg, etc…

Posted in Huffington Post | Tagged | Comments Off

Morning Awesome

Weezer – “Buddy Holly”

Posted in Morning Awesome | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Prime Time Thread

Here’s an open thread for you to discuss anything you want. The Wisconsin Republicans are defying the second court order to halt the implementation of the union-busting bill. They’re relentless. I’m telling you — the Wisconsin National Guard is going … Continue reading

Posted in Jobs | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

Name Calling

By What do you call an organization which regularly resorts to lies, exaggerations, obfuscations, intimidation, distraction and bullying to disseminate and implement its agenda? You call it the Republican Party, of course. The obviousness with which Republicans (and the greater … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off

Over The Cliff

I feel like our founding fathers, the wright brothers! Artist – Rob Rogers

Posted in Cartoons | Comments Off

Paying Wingnut Trolls

This reporter caught a job posting offering to pay right-wing people to troll liberal blogs. Then something caught my eye. It was a job ad that read “Writers Needed To Post Right-Wing Comments (Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Halifax).” “Perfect!” I chortled. … Continue reading

Posted in Wingnuts | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

Fundamentally Clueless

As we all know, the Republican party is on a reckless mission to cut spending to establish their belt-tightening seriousness and fiscally-conservative bonafieds. John Boehner even went as far as to say “Read my lips, we’re going to cut spending.” … Continue reading

Posted in Economy | Comments Off

Faith in the Free Market

Republicans apparently do not have a great deal of faith in the free market, otherwise they wouldn’t be passing bills to limit competition and harden monopolies. The Republican-dominated North Carolina State Assembly this week approved a bill that would prohibit … Continue reading

Posted in Economy | Comments Off

Quote of the Day

“Last year, candidate Barack Obama stood on a sidewalk in Toledo, Ohio, and first let it slip to Joe the Plumber that he wanted to quote, ‘spread the wealth around.’ At that time, I have to admit, that I went … Continue reading

Posted in Quote | Tagged , , , , , | Comments Off

There's Still a Major Crisis in Japan

They’re on “maximum alert.” SENDAI, Japan (AFP) – Japan said Tuesday it was on “maximum alert” over a crippled nuclear plant where radioactive water has halted repair work and plutonium has been found in the soil. […] The water out … Continue reading

Posted in Environment | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Judges Shmudges

It’s remarkable how irresponsible and reckless tea party Republicans are once they actually have a shot at governing. Fortunately, there’s a judge who’s trying to stop them in Wisconsin: A Dane County judge Tuesday blocked the state from implementing Gov. … Continue reading

Posted in Wingnuts | Tagged , , | Comments Off

The Stimulus Worked

When I yell about government helping to finance a new, clean, renewable energy source, this is exactly what I’m talking about. One of the interesting side effects of last year’s stimulus bill was $400 million in funding for ARPA-E, the … Continue reading

Posted in Environment | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Morning Awesome

Rush – “Territories” Live from A Show of Hands

Posted in Morning Awesome | Tagged , , | Comments Off

The Best Defense of Marriage

Artist – John Cole

Posted in Cartoons | Comments Off