Monthly Archives: March 2011

The Tyranny of Fluorescents

South Carolina lawmakers are highly insulted that the federal “guvmint” would dare mandate the replacement of the nearly 150 year old incandescent light bulb with new, energy-efficient compact fluorescents. So insulted, in fact, that they are pushing for a new … Continue reading

Posted in Environment | Comments Off

Get Ready for a Shutdown

While the Democrats continue to compromise and capitulate, Eric Cantor and the Republicans aren’t negotiating. No more continuing resolutions — they want their cuts or the government will shut down. “I mean I want to see a long term CR … Continue reading

Posted in Economy | Tagged , , , , , | Comments Off

Not Winning

Honestly I’m a little shocked we’re still in third place and not fourth or fifth. (Reuters) – The United States fell one spot to third place in clean-energy investment last year as the lack of a national energy policy hurt … Continue reading

Posted in Environment | Comments Off

More Like This Please

This is good, but we need this across the entire country. No more beating around the bush. Call it exactly what it is — open war on the poor and the middle-class. They don’t care about you or your family. … Continue reading

Posted in Elections | Comments Off

Calling Boehner’s Bluff

It’s going to come down to this — 87 Teabagger freshmen in the House who are willing to go down with the sinking ship as political martyrs if we don’t cut nutritional aid to pregnant women and their abortion bills … Continue reading

Posted in Wingnuts | Comments Off

Bad Idea Jeans

Good lord, I hope this information is wrong. This is simply an awful, awful idea. The Democrats appear to be acquiescing to Republicans on spending cuts. The White House and Democratic lawmakers, with less than two weeks left to avoid … Continue reading

Posted in Economy | Tagged , , , , , | Comments Off

Birther Trump Produces Fake Birth Certificate

Sweet, sweet irony. Ben Smith reports: Donald Trump made headlines earlier today when he provided what he said was a copy of his birth certificate—but a quick check reveals it’s actually not an official document. […] Trump’s mother, it should … Continue reading

Posted in Election 2012 | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Glenn Beck is Boring and Preachy

That’s why a chain of radio stations is canceling his ridiculous show. “He bounces around pretty radically, I think he confuses people, they’re not sure where he is coming from,” said Rick Buckley, president of Buckley Radio of Greenwich, Conn., … Continue reading

Posted in Wingnuts | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Hoopehead Nation

I just… ah hell. Dancing with the Stars? The president was bumped earlier because of a stupid dancing show? President Obama had a message for the American people Monday night, an explanation of the government’s intentions in Libya, one that … Continue reading

Posted in Libya | Tagged , | Comments Off

Morning Awesome

Duran Duran – “Planet Earth” Live, Directed by David Lynch (via Chez)

Posted in Morning Awesome | Tagged , | Comments Off

Prime Time Thread

Everyone needs to chill out about Libya. Everything is going to be okay. Here’s your prime time open thread. Don’t feed the trolls.

Posted in Open Thread | Tagged | Comments Off

Cause for Celebration

This can only end in hilarity. Artist – Steve Sack

Posted in Cartoons | Comments Off

Starving The Beast

When John Boehner spoke to the press to say “read my lips — we’re going to cut spending,” he forgot to mention the part about implementing those cuts on the backs of families who depend on food stamps to feed … Continue reading

Posted in Ethics | Comments Off

Shared Sacrifice

Can you imagine the Chamber of Commerce pledging to delay lobbying for corporate tax cuts until after the economy has recovered? Me neither. Hiromasa Yonekura, chairman of the Japan Business Federation, said the influential lobby would not fight the government … Continue reading

Posted in Economy | Comments Off

The Plan to Pull Out

No, that’s not the title of a new Catholic romance novel, its the plan for Libya. (Reuters) – The United States is planning to gradually remove some of the vessels it has in the Mediterranean now that NATO is taking … Continue reading

Posted in Libya | Comments Off

Quote of the Day

“You know price of everything but the value of nothing.” the late Geraldine Ferraro on “cynical” Republicans in her 1984 Democratic National Convention acceptance speech See also the modern Republican slash-and-burn spending cuts.

Posted in Quote | Tagged , , , | Comments Off

Robots are Strong…

…And they’re taking control of our economy. Paul Krugman: From the FT: stock in Berkshire Hathaway, Warren Buffet’s company, jumps every time Anne Hathaway, the actress, gets a lot of media play. Why? The claim is that it’s the fault … Continue reading

Posted in Economy | Tagged , , | Comments Off

Crazy Quote of the Day

“The First Amendment was written by the Founders to protect the free exercise of Christianity. They were making no effort to give special protections to Islam.” Director of Issues Analysis Bryan Fischer from the American Family Association I wonder if … Continue reading

Posted in Quote | Tagged , , , , , | Comments Off

Pawlenty Approved Sharia Mortgages

Tim “BaseballApplePieHotDogsandChevroletAmericaRocks” Pawlenty appears to have a past connection to evil, evil Sharia Law: Pawlenty’s effort to increase minority homeownership by encouraging companies to offer Shariah-compliant mortgages was entirely in keeping with his reputation as a “Sam’s Club Republican” concerned … Continue reading

Posted in Election 2012 | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off

Iowa Loves Michele Bachmann

Bachmann evidently stole the show at a Republican event in Iowa over the weekend, which also featured circus clown Newt Gingrich, John Bolton and some other guy I’ve never heard of. Michele Bachmann served up red meat to the crowd … Continue reading

Posted in Election 2012 | Tagged , | Comments Off