Allen West on DADT: Gays Can Change

At an event hosted by the Heritage Foundation during which Rep. Allen West said we should expand our national defense budget rather than shrink it because the troops can’t afford toilet paper, West also went on to decry the repeal of DADT by saying we shouldn’t be appeasing “special interest groups.”

Speaking out against the repeal of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,” West also said that the “rules are very clear in the United States military” and implied that sexuality was a choice.

“For those that will sit there and say, ‘well, Congressman West, you should understand because after all, you are black,’ — unless I’m Michael Jackson, I can’t change my color,” West said. “But people can change behavior, and you do not base being a part of the military on adjusting for individual behavior. That’s my position.”

Now is not the time to try to appease a very small special interest group,” West said.

Allen West can’t stop being black, but he sure could stop being gay if he needed to!

Question: Wouldn’t those who want to re-instate DADT be a special interest group? Wouldn’t those who want you to believe that “those gays” can simply flip a switch and change who they are be a special interest group?

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Wingnuts and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://twitter.com/KidDynamo0 KidDynamo0

    Allen West is a A.J. squared away Roger Ramjet asshole. Simple and plain.

  • Lexamich

    Correct on that latter point, Ashby. I’d add that black Republicon jive turkeys that talk out of their ass, while they are bankrolled by rich, white corporate bigwigs are, in fact, a “special interest group.”

    Good call on that Roger Ramjet, Kid. Exactly!

  • Buffalodavid

    The answer is simple. Ban ALL sex in the military. You’re not there to get laid, you’re there to defend our country. Everybody changes their behavior for the duration.

    See how long we get recruits with that strategy .

      What the fuck are you talking about? They made a recruitment video and everything. I SIGNED UP because that video PROMISED that I would get laid! I even memorized the words!

      Where can you find pleasure
      Search the world for treasure
      Learn science technology
      Where can you begin to make your dreams all come true
      On the land or on the sea
      Where can you learn to fly
      Play in sports and skin dive
      Study oceanography
      Sign up for the big band
      Or sit in the grandstand
      When your team and others meet

      In the navy
      Yes, you can sail the seven seas
      In the navy
      Yes, you can put your mind at ease
      In the navy
      Come on now, people, make a stand
      In the navy, in the navy
      Can’t you see we need a hand
      In the navy
      Come on, protect the motherland
      In the navy
      Come on and join your fellow man
      In the navy
      Come on people, and make a stand
      In the navy, in the navy, in the navy (in the navy)

      They want you, they want you
      They want you as a new recruit

      /Your soap. You dropped it.

        OMG, Avi… you should have a teevee show. :)

          We could do that. Elvis has dibs on the plumber costume. I don’t care which costume I get so long as it ain’t the Indian Chief – allergic to feathers.

          • JMAshby

            I picture that in a way not unlike the Weird Al movie UHF.

            Ashby, YOU get to drink from the fire hose!

            Cesca: “Badgers? Badgers? We don’ need no stinking badgers!”

        And, of course, we’ll provide the soap.

  • lukenstein

    Can’t wait til Allen West’s male shower buddy comes forward.

  • Corebela

    In my mind the only logical way Allen West could possibly think everyone can simply choose what gender they are attracted to, is if he can choose what gender he is attracted to. Same goes for anyone who thinks like he does about gays. This would make those people bi-sexual. So the only logical conclusion is that Allen West is bi-sexual.

  • muselet

    Dan Savage issued a challenge to the leader of British Columbia’s Conservative Party over a very similar statement (scroll down to the last item in the column, headed “The Choicer Challenge”—FAIR WARNING: NSFW!):

    I hereby publicly invite—I publicly challenge—John Cummins to prove that being gay is a choice by choosing it himself.

    We’re all grown-ups here, and we can all imagine what the challenge entailed.

    Allen West needs to be called out with a similar challenge.

    -alopecia

    • CJ

      I completely agree. If one can change sexual orientation at will, then straight people should be able to choose to be gay. West needs to try it.

      In fact, I’ve got a schmebus he can start sucking on right now.

  • http://profiles.google.com/jadopine Jim Oliver

    Silly rabbit!

    When you are a Rethuglican, those are not “special interests”. Those are “grass-roots organizations”. It’s only groups they DON’T like that are “special interests”.

    I would think you had figured that out by now…