Another Day in Rick Scott’s Florida

Governor Rick Scott of Florida attended a budget-signing ceremony at a retirement village on Wednesday where he signed into law a self-described “jobs budget” which may lead to the elimination of as many as 4,500 state employees by cutting $615 million dollars from the state budget while also lowering taxes on corporations.

That’s not all though.

Governor Rick Scott and his henchmen were hoping to enjoy a protest-free environment during their ritualistic killing of jobs and livelihoods, so what did they do? — They escorted political-persons-of-interest from the event.

In his speech Thursday, Scott omitted many of the serious-sounding programs he cut: homeless veterans, meals for poor seniors, a council for deafness, a children’s hospital, cancer research, public radio, whooping-cough vaccines for poor mothers, or aid for the paralyzed. […]

Members of The Villages Democratic Club were barred from the budget signing by Scott staffers who said the outdoor event in The Villages town square was “private.” Other staffers and Republican operatives scoured the crowd and had Sumter County sheriff’s deputies remove those with anti-Scott signs or liberal-looking pins and buttons. They escorted more than a dozen people off the property.

Unfortunately for Rick Scott, the fascist-like removal of “liberal-looking” persons from the event was not enough to escape criticism, as several Republican members of the Florida State Senate expressed their own reservations concerning Rick Scott’s motives and priorities.

In response to the ceremonious signing of Scott’s “jobs budget,” Democratic House Leader Ron Saunders said “If he means the ‘jobs budget’ is killing jobs, then it’s an accurate title.”

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Economy and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://twitter.com/msnbme Maureen Shea

    Have I told you lately that I love you? :) I learn soooo much thanks to you.

    • DABitty

      JM is THE Best!!! :)

  • DABitty

    Hell awaits this AWFUL man… I hope!

    • JMAshby

      Hell called, they don’t want him.

  • http://timothybuwalda.com elscorcho the marlin

    saddens me that i live in south florida and we elected this guy.

  • Byproxy73

    I can’t believe there’s no legal way to get him out of office. How much abuse do the people of Florida have to endure before we put a recall policy into place?

    Great piece, Ashby.

    If voters in Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Indiana, Florida, or any other state where these fascist Republican governors are trying to dismantle democracy, vote Republican in 2012, they deserve whatever they get. And I live in Michigan.

  • wcdude

    The two dozen that were escorted out were probably the entire population of Democrats in the Villages. I became aware of this place, the size of a small city, from reading “Leisureville”, I forget the author. I have an uncle who lives there, big fan of Rushbo.

  • TalkieToaster2

    I think people like Rick Scott actually relish the idea that, with the stroke of their budgetary pen, they can kill people.

    • muselet

      I’m afraid you’re probably right.

      -alopecia

  • caribbeanobserver

    It’s one thing to be disgusted with your politic party but a whole other thing by cutting off your nose to spite your face and end up putting this maniac in charge, who screws you every damn day. Many people are their own worst enemies because they simply refuse to think things through, impatient,fickle and transient.! Too sad for words!