For the Record…

TPM corrects the record:

In fact, Obama did not call for a direct return to the 1967 borders for Israel, as Republicans and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu have represented. Instead, he reiterated the longstanding conventional wisdom of the international diplomatic community, and indeed the position of previous U.S. administrations, that those lines should be the initial basis for talks, and with additional land swaps to be agreed upon in further adjusting those lines.

So cut the crap, Republicans. And Netanyahu.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Middle East and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://profiles.yahoo.com/u/TB7MKNFUXLI4ZP2JFMWZ5UDWR4 AvaA

    Why can’t I log in>?

    • caribbeanobserver

      It’s easy once yo get the hang of it

  • http://oneblueeye.me BlueEye

    If Republicans were capable of cutting the crap, they would be unable to field a Presidential Candidate at all this cycle.

  • dildenusa

    OK, so President Obama called for an indirect return to 1967 borders. Still, Netanyahu and the wise Israeli ice tea bag partiers will say that Obama is abandoning Israel.

  • Chachizel

    You forgot to mention that even the Israeli people themselves favor this position, but Bob, why are you bringing up facts? This is the Republican base we’re talking about. They don’t need no stinking facts

    • BuffaloBuckeye

      Great point. Any attempt to have a factual conversation with The Base can be pretty frustrating.

  • roxsteady

    Seriously, the Republicans and the press are idiots. I saw a comment this morning over on TPM from Netanyahu who said that “Differences with Obama are exaggerated”. While he too is full of shit, I have to say that what’s really annoying is the press and the GOP pretending that Obama’s position is something new. It’s no different than Bush or Clinton’s. Hell, Hillary said the exact thing recently and was all but, ignored.

    • muselet

      rox, US policy has been for Israel to withdraw to the 1967 borders (approximately) since the adoption of UN Resolution 242, so you can push the timeline back to the Johnson administration. PM Netanyahu is a liar (okay, I’ll soften that to “dissembler”), the Rs are idiots, and far too much of the press is made up of the gullible.

      -alopecia

  • GrafZeppelin127

    Was there ever any realistic chance that the right-wing Outrage Porn™ machine would not react to anything President Obama says about the Israel/Palestine issue by claiming that it “proves” what they have always “known,” which is that Obama is somehow “anti-Israel?”

    Is there any chance that they could ever see, hear, think, believe, or say anything else? I know liberals who are convinced that Obama is “no friend of Israel,” when there is absolutely no reason in the world to believe that, unless one really, really, really, really wants to believe that very, very, badly.

    So instead of reporting, we get Outrage Porn™, and the GOP/TP/RW/FNC/&c cohort flocks to it like mosquitoes to a bug zapper. The last several days have been a frenzy of unhinged, unbridled Outrage Porn™; a disgusting display of grotesque and irresponsible distortion of reality.

    I’m starting to think that the reason there will never be peace in the Middle East, and that the Israel/Palestine issue will never be resolved, is because of this avalanche of Outrage Porn™ that results any time any American Democratic politician (Republicans are, of course, immune) talks about the issue, regardless of what (s)he says, that might be distorted into meaning something other than what the Israeli right wing or Likud wants to hear.

    Tom Brokaw said it best, about two years ago: When it comes to U.S.-Israel relations, “friends don’t let friends drive drunk.” It’s not an unreasonable position to take. What is unreasonable is the position taken by right-wing Outrage Porn™ peddlers. It’s sickening.

    • muselet

      Was there ever any realistic chance …?

      No.

      -alopecia

  • caribbeanobserver

    He never backs away and reminds them again of what he said and meant.