Politically Profitable Rhetoric

Despite the right-wing’s criticism which is at best, dishonest, of President Obama’s speech regarding Israel and Palestinian peace, their own position on the matter is not exactly constructive or realistic either.

Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain joined Chris Wallace on Fox News Sunday to reassure the world of this fact.

Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain said Sunday that as president, he would offer the Palestinians “nothing” as part of a peace deal with Israel.

“I’m not convinced that the Palestinians are really interested in peace,” Cain told Fox News’ Chris Wallace.

“If we look at history, it has been clear that the Palestinians have always wanted to push Israelis and push Israel for more and more and more. I don’t agree with that. I respect Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu for taking a stand and saying they cannot give that up.”

He added: “Secondly, it’s Israel’s decision, not President Obama’s decision to where the borderline will be.”

When pressed for more details by Chris Wallace, Herman Cain revealed that he actually has no idea what he’s talking about, coming as a shock to no one.

His point of view is not entirely inconsistent with the religious-right and neo-conservatives in this country, or the hard-right inside Israel, though. As far as they are concerned, the Palestinians deserve nothing and, as long as they each have a say in the matter, they will do everything in their power to ensure that they get nothing. This is why peace remains elusive.

President Obama is attempting to stake out a reasonable position which can be supported by reasonable people, but the right-wings of each party involved cannot accept a reasonable proposal because their political lives depend on unreasonable rhetoric.

Lives will continue to be lost as long as it remains politically profitable.

  • Zen Diesel

    Thank goodness Herman Cain doesn’t have a snowballs chance in hell of winning the nomination.

    What’s that? Dishonest Republican criticism of the president?
    How DARE they?!

    At some point, the media is going to recognize that NEWS is what you call something that DOESN’T happen every day.
    It will be worthy of reporting when a Republican says something true. Of course, given what happened to The Gingrich for speaking an almost borderline truth, that would seem unlikely to ever happen again.

    That the GOP opposes every single syllable uttered by the president, and that they employ claims diametrically opposed to the facts in so doing…let me guess: It must be a day ending in Y.

  • Yitzhak Shtarker

    The right-wing nutjobs do make one valid point (shocking, I know): nobody can guarntee peace, even if Israel does pull back to the 1967 lines. Too many Palestinians are adamantly insisting on the “right of return” issue, which even the most hard-case lefty Israeli (such as myself) would be unwilling to accept.
    The point is, none of this justifies the Israeli settelments in occupied territories, OR the continued occupation and control over the lives of Arabs in the West Bank and Gaza, who have now been in a political limbo for over 63 years. Israel does NOT want to cede this, or move forward in any way; the strategy of Netanyahu and her husband is to keep stalling for time, forever putting the blame on those dastardly Palestinians. The one-sided decleration of a state is not a good thing, but it IS the only way the get this whole mess moving.