Rick Scott Strikes Again

Today is another day of stickin’ it to The Man in Rick Scott’s Florida. And by The Man I mean poor people.

Florida Governor Rick Scott (R) signed legislation into law on Tuesday that requires anyone applying for temporary government assistance to pay for and undergo drug screening.

Under the new law, applicants for the federal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program who test positive for illegal drug use won’t be eligible to receive benefits for one year or until they successfully complete a drug abuse program. Those who don’t test positive will be reimbursed for the cost of the test.

Around 60,000 people would be affected, according to earlier reports.

“While there are certainly legitimate needs for public assistance, it is unfair for Florida taxpayers to subsidize drug addiction,” Scott said in a statement. “This new law will encourage personal accountability and will help to prevent the misuse of tax dollars.”

Except in this case Florida taxpayers will be subsidizing drug-tests by reimbursing the overwhelming majority of the 60,000 people who fail to test positive. That reimbursement will come out of a state budget which you may mistakenly believe to be in dire straights after Rick Scott felt the need to scratch that itch known as Public Broadcasting.

Governor Scott didn’t stop at requiring drug-testing of welfare recipients though, as he also signed an executive order today requiring all new state employees to take a drug test and all current employees be subject to random drug testing.

TALLAHASSEE — — On the same day a bill was filed to make good on Gov. Rick Scott’s pledge to require people receiving welfare to pass drug tests, he signed an executive order that would make state workers take them, too.

The governor’s executive order requires all prospective hires under his direction to take a drug test and orders that all current employees be subject to random drug screenings, affecting potentially 100,000 people. If tests cost the state $35 each, it could add up to $3.5 million.

Wait a minute… If you add up the cost of drug-testing welfare recipients, and the cost of drug-testing state employees, you could easily come up with the cost of funding Public Broadcasting.

That would not fit in line with Rick Scott’s priorities though, as a portion of the now-required drug testing may be performed by walk-in clinics operated by Solantic, a company in which Governor Scott owns over $62 million dollars in stock. Scott transfered the stock to his Wife’s name, Frances Annette Scott, several days before taking office.

I can’t imagine a better campaigner for the Democrats in 2012 than Governor Scott.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Rick Scott and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://twitter.com/DrLearnALot DrLearnALot

    Please, somebody, get me out of this state!

    • jjasonham

      I truly feel terrible whenever I read about his antics what seem like every day!

      • JMAshby

        I actually passed up two other stories about Scott today. His “antics” are endless.

  • http://www.facebook.com/people/Joe-VerValin/1685965925 Joe VerValin

    I loath this man with the burning intensity of a thousand suns. The only good thing that can come of this is that Florida will probably turn Blue for a generation thanks to his incompetence.

    ATTENTION FLORIDA STATE EMPLOYEES
    and
    RECIPIENTS OF FLORIDA STATE BENEFITS!

    Do You Need Unadulterated Baby Urine?
    Only Cousin Avi GUARANTEES OVERNIGHT DELIVERY
    of 100% DRUG FREE BABY PEE!!!
    Tweakers, Junkies, Crack Whores and Pot Heads…
    PROTECT YOUR JOB!
    KEEP YOUR BENEFITS!

    Act now and receive FREE our patented inner thigh Baby Pee Bladder!
    Keeps the pee at skin temperature to fool the most skeptical lab tech and their Police State thermometers!

    People all over Florida are saying they wouldn’t piss down Rick Scott’s throat if his guts were on fire. Neither would Cousin Avi! But now you can piss in Rick Scott’s Budgetary Pocket! GET REIMBURSED! GET THOSE BENEFITS! KEEP SUCKING ON THAT PIPE and SPIKING THAT VEIN!
    PISS ON RICK SCOTT WITH COUSIN AVI’S 100% DRUG FREE BABY PEE!

    Cousin Avi’s Baby Pee Products void where prohibited and are not intended for use to fraudulently obtain State employment or State benefits to which the purchaser is not entitled. That having been said, Cousin Avi’s 100% DRUG FREE BABY PEE WILL HELP YOU GAIN STATE EMPLOYMENT AND OBTAIN STATE BENEFITS TO WHICH YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED!!!

    • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_7VZNIFV5UXBX5LETCRH34M5HG4 Staci Bass

      You better be careful, avi. You could have a bit of a side business coming your way. hahahahahaha

      Seriously, though, in Phoenix, you can buy fake pee (which come with instructions on how to regulate the temperature) at most of the head shops. I had never seen anything like it.

        DON’T BE FOOLED by FAKE PEE!

        Cousin Avi’s 100% DRUG FREE UNADULTERATED BABY PEE is harvested fresh daily from our stable of healthy Mormon infants who are breast-fed by vegans!

        FAKE PEE will only cost you your job and your benefits!
        Beware Imitators! Eschew Ersatz Urine!
        ONLY Cousin Avi’s 100% DRUG FREE BABY PEE comes with our unique SATISFACTION GUARANTEED limited warranty.
        If for any reason you are not completely satisfied with our product, simply return the unused portion of the pee with proof of purchase and a photocopy of your photo voter’s ID as well as a decent sample of whatever drugs you’re trying to hide from the man, and you will receive a partial refund.

        Cousin Avi’s 100% DRUG FREE PEE!
        Helping Floridians piss on Rick Scott since about 9:00 this morning!

        • janefromhell

          Sir, I admire the cut of your jib.

  • nellcote

    How in the hell is any of this legal? Just the conflict of interest alone…

    Heads up kids, cannibis stays in your body 30 days.

  • gescove

    I guess heading up Coumbia/HCA while it defrauded Medicare of hundreds of millions — and racked up $1.6 billion in fines when the jig was up — makes for a nifty resume for governor in Florida. More importantly, his $5 million in severance and $300 million in stock options makes for a fine campaign war chest. How else does a loathesome SOB like this get elected dog catcher (no offense meant to animal control officers!), much less governor?