Voter Suppression in Wisconsin, Florida

The states of Wisconsin and Florida, in an act of clear desperation, joined the ranks of Republican-controlled state legislatures and governorships across the nation passing laws to suppress voters today.

(Reuters) – The Wisconsin state Senate on Thursday approved a Republican-backed bill that would require photo identification to vote, and Republican Governor Scott Walker is expected to sign the measure into law. […]

Ten states now require a photo ID to vote. Kansas also added a photo ID requirement this year, which takes effect January 1. Thirty-three states have considered adding or strengthening voter identification requirements this year, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

As reported by the Maddow Blog, the bill to require an ID for voting passed in the same fashion as the bill to kill unions, without every Democratic member of the senate having the chance to cast a vote.

Republicans in the Wisconsin State Senate today cut off voting on the new voter ID bill, which requires a photo ID to cast a ballot. WisPolitics reports that only five Democrats managed to get on the roll before Republican Senator Michael Ellis gaveled it through. Let’s just say Mr. Ellis will not be winning today’s Mr. Sunshine award.

WI Senate Vote on Voter Suppression Bill 5.19.11 by nicknice

The Wisconsin voter ID bill now awaits Scott Walker’s signature.

Meanwhile, Governor Rick Scott of Florida has already signed Florida’s own voter suppression bill into law. The Florida law prevents 3rd parties from registering voters, a move obviously aimed at reducing the number of minority voters as minority voters are much more likely to be registered by 3rd parties.

Howard Simon, Executive Director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Florida, issued the following statement.

Today, with a stroke of his pen, Governor Scott has made the “Minority, Youth and Woman Voter Suppression Act of 2011,” the crown-jewel of voter suppression legislation, into law.

Florida law now forces more Floridians to cast provisional ballots which are not likely to be counted, limits the number of days Floridians have access to the polls, and has effectively shut down the volunteer voting registration work of organizations like the League of Women Voters and the Boy Scouts.

Governor Scott says he signed, to prevent fraud, which has been proven to be fictional. The Governor also claimed that he wants to make sure people have the opportunity to vote, which of course is not what this bill does. If you’re looking for fraud, look no further than the big lie on which this bill is based.

While a majority of the nation’s attention is directed at the Republican-controlled House of Representatives, and the filibuster-prone Republicans in the Senate, Republican controlled state legislatures and governorships are just as capable of causing serious harm to the social fabric of the nation, if not more so. In many cases, from Ohio, to Florida, and Wisconsin, legislatures and governors have clearly over-reached and over-played their hand and are now taking whatever steps they can to blunt the impact of the coming voter backlash.

Fortunately, I don’t believe even the harshest voter suppression laws have the odor-blocking power to conceal the festering piles of shit currently occupying our respective state houses.

Updated to fix the video and adding…

WalkerTweet

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Ethics and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

    This is some reprehensible shit. They don’t even try to hide it anymore. The lies they glibly utter to justify their perverse ass raping of democracy are just as insulting as the crime itself.

    League of Women Photo ID Assistants to the rescue.

    For detailed info on voter ID requirements on a state by state basis, and what constitutes acceptable ID in each state.

    It has been proven, time and time again, that these kinds of laws violate the rights of both the poor (white and minorities) and the elderly because they are the most likely population not to drive and therefore not to have a photo ID. The advocates of these laws usually say that there are “alternatives” but what they don’t talk about is how hard it is to get those alternatives, how much it might cost and how will these often disenfranchised voters even hear about getting them in time for elections?

    The truth is that they don’t WANT this population to vote. Why would a de facto standard for proof that is too high for too many people be acceptable? It isn’t. The question for us, is can we affect these kind of laws through the legal system in time to effect the 2012 election?

    This kind of crap is how the Rethugs will go about trying to steal the elections next year. The opening salvo was the fight against Unions and this is the follow up salvo. How are the Dems and activists responding?

    PS: This is IrishGirl :)

    • gescove

      Agreed, IrishGirl. I don’t understand how these Rethugs are EVER allowed anywhere near the reins of government. Their single-minded purpose is to do as much damage as possible when they have the chance. It’s nauseating.

      exactly, IrishGirl.

  • Guest
  • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_YM23FX2FBZEC3UVDPZRGCUBIZ4 staci

    They really do want their country back – all the way back to pre 1865.

  • muselet

    And the voter-supression bill pending in Texas disallows student IDs as an accepted form of identification, even IDs from Texas state colleges and universities. As cousinavi said above, they don’t even try to hide it anymore.

    (Ashby, the video got pulled off YouTube. Copyright issues.)

    -alopecia

  • gescove

    The vid is available on the WisconsinEye Public Affairs Network archive. And yes, the gum (or is that cud?) chewing Sen. Ellis is definitely not in the running for the Sunshine Award, but he’s a shoo-in for the Asshat Award.

  • JMAshby

    Updated and added.

  • nedp

    Photo ID. Best idea in a long time. My state is pushing it, too. ’bout time. Better than only pretending to give a shit about voter integrity.

    • lukenstein

      If you think it’s the best idea in a long time then you need to quit pretending to give a shit about ELECTION INTEGRITY.

  • Buffalodavid

    I feel like I’ve stepped into a time warp, and it’s the early sixties in the deep south again.

  • http://twitter.com/politicalprtpoo Politicalpartypooper

    This isn’t reprehensible. What’s reprehensible is the people that take advantage of the fact that they don’t have to prove their identity when they vote, so they use other people’s names, and vote repeatedly.

    In Wisconsin, this Voter ID WILL BE FREE…as in, it COSTS NOTHING.

    Really guys? You are against this? Really? Because it will disenfranchise voters?

    Hardly. The only people this will hurt is the people who think voting more than once is their right. For those of you who believe their is no proof of voter fraud, there is plenty of evidence on the net of poll workers who have had to turn away voters because someone else already voted in their name.

    That we can’t prove who that person is, I would think, should be obvious. Without a requirement of an ID, how can you tell who broke the law? No evidence? That’s like Goldman Sachs telling us there was no intent to defraud investors in CDO’s because there’s no “evidence” of that intent.

    The same people who drive voters to the polls will be available to drive the poor and elderly to the places where they can get their FREE voter ID.

    Any other problems?

    • JMAshby

      You just said theres proof, and then that theres no proof. Which is it?

      I see you’re still sticking to your water-carrying “independent” ways.

      • lukenstein

        nedP needs a take down too, Ashby.

      • http://twitter.com/politicalprtpoo Politicalpartypooper

        It is Independents who won this country’s freedom, and it will be Independents who save this country, Mr. Ashby.

        The MIDDLE has awoken, and we are not pleased by what the left and the right have been up to. Maybe when you find some courage, you can strike out, away from the organized power grabbing political parties, and taste what freedom is all about.

        I told you where to find the evidence of voter fraud. That you won’t bother looking tells me you are afraid of what you’ll find. What is the Left so afraid of? Why does knowing a voter’s identity fill you with such fear? Do you really believe that Independents will allow the Right to disenfranchise us?

        Change is coming to America. It has nothing to do with the Left or the Right. Get on board, or watch from the sidelines. You’ll never be threatened by the Middle. But if you fight us, you’ll have to join the Right to win. Think about that.

        • Alex0001

          So I’m slightly confused here. Are you implying the idea of “Change” is coming from a Republican senator who is essentially holding back the elderly and college age voters from voting? Because that certainly seems what you’re doing. And I’ve been around here long enough that I should probably point out to you that I’m from Wisconsin too. So any horseshit flying around involving WI I’m probably going to sniff out pretty quickly.

        • lukenstein

          You have no courage. All you do is thrown stones at the left and then hide behind your BS independent label. You can’t even admit you’re a total right winger

      It’s not uncommon to find trolls posting lies, nor to encounter people with their head up their ass, nor even liars, but you, PPP, are a lying troll with your head up your ass – the trifecta. Congratulations.
      Voter ID has been demonstrably employed, most notably in Florida in the 2000 presidential election, to prevent minorities from voting.
      Poor minorities, especially blacks and Hispanics, are much less likely to have a passport or a driver’s license. They are thus much more likely to require the “Free” ID (not always free…perhaps where you live, but I’d like to see some evidence for that), and thus also more likely to not have acceptable ID at the polling station.
      There is vanishingly small evidence of voter fraud – it has been shown to be, in study after study, almost non-existent. The one case of which I am aware was Ann Coulter illegally registering a false address in order to cast a ballot in another district. The right can scream and holler about ACORN all they like: catching some shady registrars padding their forms does not equate with multiple ballots. No one ever showed up to vote claiming to BE Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck.
      What’s wrong with a birth certificate and a current power bill?
      What’s wrong with a student ID card?
      What’s wrong with a cancelled welfare cheque and the addressed envelope it came in?
      These sorts of previously acceptable forms of identification are rendered unacceptable for one craven purpose: to prevent the poor, minorities, and students from casting ballots; to force them to fill out provisional ballots, half of which will be discarded when the subsequent return with proof requirement is not forthcoming; to limit the pool of traditional Democratic support.
      IF voter fraud were a real problem, you’d have an argument. The FACT is, however, that there just is no evidence that people are voting multiple times with fake ID. IT JUST AIN’T HAPPENING. That you so eagerly swallow that bullshit as the rationale for what is nothing more than filthy reverse ballot stuffing speaks to the sort of stupidity that destroys democracy.
      Your Goldman Sachs analogy demonstrates the paucity of your position. There’s PLENTY of evidence, from within GS’s own internal documents, that they not only KNEW their CDO’s were utter shit, but that they fraudulently unloaded them, took a massive short position against them, and even lent huge amounts of money to the lenders pumping out the bad loans – they not only bet against them, they goddamn well financed them!
      You’re just another Birther wrapping your shit in the flag. The Certificate of live birth? NOT ENOUGH! The long form birth certificate? NOT ENOUGH! Student ID? NOT ENOUGH!
      Frankly…it poses an interesting question: Can Barack Obama vote in the election? Let’s hope that passport he used to travel to Pakistan hasn’t expired.
      Asshole.

      • http://twitter.com/politicalprtpoo Politicalpartypooper

        Avi,

        I’m not sure how it is in other districts, but in my district, prior to this bill, you didn’t even need to show a birth certificate, a cancelled SS check…nothing. Once you were registered to vote in that district, you walked in, stated your name and address, at which point a poll worker ticked your name off their list, and you voted.

        So, from my perspective, the idea of having to prove who you are isn’t that big of a deal. And yes, in Wisconsin, the voter ID card will be free.

        As for your birther rant…wtf are you talking about?

        I voted for President Obama, you silly boy. I’ll most likely vote for him again.

        “It’s not uncommon to find trolls posting lies, nor to encounter people with their head up their ass, nor even liars, but you, PPP, are a lying troll with your head up your ass – the trifecta. ”

        Generally, when someone is wrong on at least one account in a personal attack, they apologize. When they’re wrong on every account, they apologize profusely. But you, Avi, are exempt from that, because you have no class.

          The Birther analogy is self-explanatory: It’s an unreasonable demand for proof before being permitted exercise one’s right to vote. The comparison to an unreasonable demand for proof of citizenship in order to justify holding the office of president is fairly self-evident.

          You allege that there is lots of evidence of voter fraud. That is a lie. Voter fraud is, as I said, vanishingly rare – so rare as to be a non-issue. What DOES happen, and this was most deplorably demonstrated in the Florida 2000 election, is that voters – all of whom were black and/or poor – were turned away from the polls for failure to produce acceptable ID (there were other reasons, too: having a name that was similar to or matched that of a convicted felon). Others were forced to cast provisional ballots which were then discarded when the voter did not return to the polling station with proper ID.
          I have provided links to a few sources for the claim that voter fraud is almost non-existent. You have offered nothing except the standard, “We need to protect the process from fake voters!” blather that Republicans use to pass these anti-democratic / anti-Democratic measures.

          I don’t have a problem with people having to provide ID. I object to measures which render various forms of commonly acceptable ID insufficient for the purpose of voting; demanding PHOTO identification. As previously stated, poor and minority citizens are disproportionally affected by such demands – they are much less likely than other demographics to have a passport, a driver’s license, or other now requisite forms of identification.

          And how does one obtain this FREE ID? If one can get the photo ID by providing a birth certificate, why is the birth certificate not sufficient to vote? If one can obtain the free photo ID with a welfare cheque stub, why is the welfare cheque stub not sufficient to vote?
          This is plainly just another obstacle that only certain classes of people will need to hurdle before being able to cast a ballot.

          It is telling that these “Electoral Protection Measures” are ALWAYS the work of Republicans. They have a long and discreditable history of doing anything and everything they can to keep poor people, black people, brown people and students away from the polls.

          Some tactics:

          Purging voter rolls

          In 2008, more than 50,000 registered Georgia voters were removed from the roll of eligible voters because of a computer mismatch in their personal identification information, leading registrars to conclude that they were no longer eligible Georgia voters at their registered addresses. At least 4,500 of those people must prove their citizenship to regain their right to vote, but opponents say that could be an impossible burden to meet. For example, the state of Georgia gave college senior Kyla Berry one week to prove her citizenship in a letter dated October 2, 2008. Unfortunately, the letter was postmarked October 9, 2008. However, Berry is a U.S. citizen, born in Boston, Massachusetts with a passport and a birth certificate to prove it.
          Commenting on Berry’s case and those like it, Wendy Weiser, an elections expert with New York University’s Brennan Center for Justice, said, “What most people don’t know is that every year, elections officials strike millions of names from the voter rolls using processes that are secret, prone to error and vulnerable to manipulation.”

          Jim Crow laws

          In the United States, voter suppression was used extensively by conservatives in most Southern states until the Voting Rights Act (1965) made most disenfranchisement and voting qualifications illegal. Traditional voter suppression tactics included the institution of poll taxes and literacy tests, aimed at suppressing the votes of African Americans and working class white voters.

          Ex-felon disenfranchisement

          In 2004, 5.3 million Americans were denied the right to vote because of previous felony convictions. Thirteen states permanently disenfranchise convicted felons; eighteen states restore voting rights after completion of prison, parole, and probation; four states re-enfranchise felons after they have been released from prison and have completed parole; thirteen allow felons who have been released from prison to vote, and two states do not disenfranchise felons at all. Some states require ex-felons to complete a process to restore voting rights, but offender advocates say such processes can be very difficult.

          The United States is the only democracy in the world that regularly bans large numbers of felons from voting after they have discharged their sentences. Many countries including Denmark, France, Germany, Israel, Japan, Kenya, Norway, Peru, Sweden, and Zimbabwe allow prisoners to vote (unless convicted of crimes against the electoral system). Some countries, notably the U.K., disfranchise people for only as long as they are in prison.

          In Florida during the 2000 presidential election, some non-felons were banned due to record-keeping errors and not warned of their disqualification until the deadline for contesting it had passed.

          This form of vote suppression in the United States disproportionately affects minorities including African-Americans and Latinos.

          Inequality in Election Day resources

          Elections in the United States are funded at the local level, often unequally. In the 2004 elections, Wyoming spent $2.15 per voter while California spent $3.99 per voter. In contrast, Canada spends $9.51 per voter. Underfunded election areas can result in long lines at polling places, requiring some voters either to wait hours to cast a ballot or to forgo their right to vote in that election. Voters who cannot wait the required amount of time are therefore disenfranchised, while voters in well-funded areas with sufficient voting capacity may face minimal or no waiting time.

          Delays at polling places are is widely regarded as being a greater problem in urban areas.

          Caging lists

          Caging lists have been used by political parties to eliminate potential voters registered with other political parties. A political party sends registered mail to addresses of registered voters. If the mail is returned as undeliverable, the mailing organization uses that fact to challenge the registration, arguing that because the voter could not be reached at the address, the registration is fraudulent.

          Some examples:

          2002 New Hampshire Senate election phone jamming scandal

          In the 2002 New Hampshire Senate election phone jamming scandal, Republican officials attempted to reduce the number of Democratic voters by paying professional telemarketers in Idaho to make repeated hang-up calls to the telephone numbers used by the Democratic Party’s ride-to-the-polls phone lines on election day. By tying up the lines, voters seeking rides from the Democratic Party would have more difficulty reaching the party to ask for transportation to and from their polling places.

          2004 presidential election

          In the U.S. presidential election of 2004, some voters got phone calls with false information intended to keep them from voting—saying that their voting place had been changed or that voting would take place on Wednesday as well as on Tuesday. Voters who believed this misinformation would go to the wrong polling place, or worse, not attempt to vote until after the election had ended.

          Other allegations surfaced in several states that the group called Voters Outreach of America had collected and submitted Republican voter registration forms while inappropriately discarding voter registration forms where the new voter had chosen to register with the Democratic Party. Such people would believe they had registered to vote, and would only discover on election day that they were not registered and could not cast a ballot.

          Michigan Republican state legislator John Pappageorge was quoted as saying, “If we do not suppress the Detroit vote, we’re going to have a tough time in this election.”

          2006 Virginia Senate election

          During the United States Senate election in Virginia, 2006, Secretary of the Virginia State Board of Elections Jean Jensen concluded that incidents of voter suppression appeared widespread and deliberate. Documented incidents of voter suppression include:

          Democratic voters receiving calls incorrectly informing them voting will lead to arrest.

          Widespread calls fraudulently claiming to be “[Democratic Senate candidate Jim] Webb Volunteers,” falsely telling voters their voting location had changed.

          Fliers paid for by the Republican Party, stating “SKIP THIS ELECTION” that allegedly attempted to suppress African-American turnout.

          2008 presidential election

          A review of states’ records by The New York Times found unlawful actions leading to widespread voter purges.

          A dispute between the Social Security Administration commissioner and the National Association of Secretaries of State about the use of the Social Security database to test the validity of voters led to the shutdown of the database over the Columbus Day holiday weekend.

          The bottom line remains, PPP: Voter fraud is almost non-existent. Anyone who says elections are being stolen by fraudulent ballots is a liar.
          The measures employed to “Protect the process” directly target, and intentionally so, the poor, minorities and students.
          The aforementioned measures are always brought forward and endorsed by Republicans – never Democrats. That alone confirms the contemptible partisan nature of these unfair requirements.

          So, you’re either a liar or just stupid – take your pick. Whichever you choose – prevaricator or dimwit – I’m fine with the proposition that you have your head up your ass. On that score, I see no reason to apologize.

          As for being a troll, I call ‘em the way I see ‘em. Posting a defense of voter ID laws – a thoroughly anti-progressive measure no matter how you cut it – around here amounts to trolling in my opinion. Wear it with honour.

          As for my lack of class, I’ll leave that for others to judge. Given how far up your ass your head is wedged, I can’t really take your opinion of me too seriously

          • http://twitter.com/politicalprtpoo Politicalpartypooper

            You have me confused with someone who wants to suppress voter rights. On the contrary. The more voters, the more Independents there are.

            Your argument is a bit flat here, Avi. With ONE voter ID eligible as THE form necessary at the polls, this will eliminate ANY questions about proper identification. All problems associated with blocks of votes being thrown out because voters never came back to the polling place with an ID will be done. If their votes were being thrown out before, now they will not be. What’s the point of ticking a ballot if your vote gets tossed anyway?

            As for Republicans wanting the elderly voters to be disenfranchised, I find that hard to believe, since Republicans are under the illusion that elder America votes for them.

            If you want to bring real change to our election process, get behind publicly funded elections if you are not already. Taking the private money out of the process will go a long way toward ridding the USA of corruption, crony Capitalism, and Special Interest domination.

            Get behind an open Primary process, where Independents are allowed to run on the same Primary tickets as Republicans and Democrats. In lieu of that, I propose making the two parties pay for their own damn Primaries. Currently, American taxpayers foot the bill, and the two Parties make the rules. This is not an open election process; it’s a system gamed to keep Democrats and Republicans at the top of the election ballot. It’s one of the reasons why Independents are so reluctant to run for office; even when they do, they face an uphill battle against a SYSTEM that is corrupt and in favor of two Parties whose sole interest in the United States of America is power.

            Don’t come at me with your racism or disenfranchisement rants when you are not willing to fix the ENTIRE system. I’ve had enough of Democrats complaining about how Banks and major corporations can give millions to Republicans, while they have nothing to say whatsoever about unions giving millions to Democrats; those smae unions FORCING their members to contribute to a candidate they may not even vote for.

            You’re fine with freedom and voter’s rights so long as they agree with your personal politics. But when they don’t, you have nothing to say about it. Don’t be naive, Avi. The Left’s power grab is every bit as real as the Right’s. Evidence for said power grab remains the pathetic manner in which BOTH Parties have addressed the number one issue in America, The Economy, with such subtitles as Joblessness, Housing Prices, Foreclosure crisis, American wages, Free Trade, the exporting of American Technology to places like China, etc, etc, etc.

            While Middle America suffers under a depression, Democrats and Republicans fight over the fake. While we are struggling with ever-dwindling or lost paychecks, Republicans and Democrats lob legislation designed to win them as many votes as possible next election; leaving the hard work for the next cycle, because neither Party has THE BALLS to fix it now. Both Parties REMAIN IN BED with Corporate America, using Crony Capitalism to launch their power grabs, and keeping Middle America down in the dumps.

            Don’t come at me with your garbage until you are ready to fix it all, Avi. A voter ID in Wisconsin is not that big of a deal, and in 2012, you will discover that for yourself. I am of the opinion that all of the issues you cited will be fixed by this ID, and none of the voters who had been disenfranchised will be so again.

            I see the Left and the Right AS THE SAME. Not with the same goals, but with the same tactics. America is vastly, MOSTLY Middle. It’s time our legislation started reflecting that, rather than catering to the squeaky wheels on the Left and the Right.

      • http://twitter.com/politicalprtpoo Politicalpartypooper

        Maybe a bit of education for you is in order…especially since you’ve never voted in America. You are speaking on a topic you know almost nothing about.

        As for the ID issue, Democrats should be cheering it. This is one less thing for Republicans to whine about. One less victim card for them, and we all know how much like they like being the victim, and whining.

          One need not vote in the US to know about elections. They do have such things in other parts of the world, and the GOP aren’t the only thugs that try to keep opposition voters away from the polls, you arrogant doofus.

          As for education, when you want to put some money on it, we can compare CV’s. Until then, your education begins in the post above.

          • http://twitter.com/politicalprtpoo Politicalpartypooper

            CV’s mean nothing to me, Avi. Nothing. I can’t begin to tell you how many applicants I get with extremely impressive educational backgrounds who are, to be kind, idiots in the real world.

            I own my own business, survived the depression (so far), and am not doing too badly. I employ five people, and struggled to keep that many on over the last three years. My college education had almost NOTHING to do with that.

            Get an education in the real world, Avi. Learn how to advise investors in a marketplace where criminals earn seven figures yearly and nine- figure Golden Parachutes, and you have to learn how to avoid their scams and keep your clients’ money safe. Learn how to be compliant with the SEC all the while knowing that firms much larger than yours don’t have to. Do that while still earning a living. Learn how to calm your clients’ fears in the midst of a depression. Some of us actually obey the law and act as fiduciaries. But I’ve seen some very impressive CV’s end up as nothing more than white collar mafia bosses, running banks and entire nations into the dirt.

            What you actually done with all of your education?

    @ PPP

    You have me confused with someone who wants to suppress voter rights. On the contrary. The more voters, the more Independents there are.

    When you place obstacles between certain classes of people and the ballot, that IS suppressing voting rights.
    More voters does not necessarily equal more independents. It might in terms of raw numbers, but that means nothing if for every new Ind. there’s two new Reps and five new Dems. Of course, I’m getting used to you stating fantasy as though it had some correlation to reality.

    With ONE voter ID eligible as THE form necessary at the polls, this will eliminate ANY questions about proper identification. All problems associated with blocks of votes being thrown out because voters never came back to the polling place with an ID will be done. If their votes were being thrown out before, now they will not be.

    You just don’t fucking get it. The whole POINT of this legislation is to ensure that anyone who does not have “proper ID” cannot vote. The people MOST LIKELY to not have “proper ID” are the poor and minorities. Keeping those two groups away from the polls, by any means necessary, has been GOP strategy for decades, you stubbornly, willfully blind doofus.

    As for Republicans wanting the elderly voters to be disenfranchised, I find that hard to believe, since Republicans are under the illusion that elder America votes for them.

    I never said anything about the elderly…but since you mention it, given the way the GOP is approaching Medicare, I expect they’d like nothing more than to keep the seniors from voting.

    … get behind publicly funded elections… ridding the USA of corruption, crony Capitalism, and Special Interest domination.

    …open Primary process… making the two parties pay for their own damn Primaries. .. Don’t come at me with your racism or disenfranchisement rants when you are not willing to fix the ENTIRE system.

    Don’t change the subject. If you’re unable to recall what it is, scroll back up and read the goddamn original post again. This is a thread about VOTER SUPPRESSION.

    You’re fine with freedom and voter’s rights so long as they agree with your personal politics. But when they don’t, you have nothing to say about it.

    Fuck you and your straw man bullshit. I support every citizen’s right to vote however the fuck they want, you disingenuous ass. I oppose any attempt to limit people’s access to the ballot, ESPECIALLY when that effort is designed to target those persons most likely to oppose the very people imposing the restrictions.

    Don’t be naive, Avi. The Left’s power grab is every bit as real as the Right’s. Evidence for said power grab remains the pathetic manner in which BOTH Parties have addressed the number one issue in America, The Economy, with such subtitles as Joblessness, Housing Prices, Foreclosure crisis, American wages, Free Trade, the exporting of American Technology to places like China, etc, etc, etc.

    WTF? Can you not stay on topic? Oh, I get it…you’ve had your ass handed to you with facts, evidence, links to sources and a plainly stronger argument by your intellectual superior, so you resort to yammering about every little thing your flag-waving, freedom fries Independent spirit can dredge up.

    While Middle America suffers under a depression, Democrats and Republicans fight over the fake. While we are struggling with ever-dwindling or lost paychecks, Republicans and Democrats lob legislation designed to win them as many votes as possible next election; leaving the hard work for the next cycle, because neither Party has THE BALLS to fix it now. Both Parties REMAIN IN BED with Corporate America, using Crony Capitalism to launch their power grabs, and keeping Middle America down in the dumps.

    Both Sides! Both Sides! Both Sides!

    Don’t come at me with your garbage until you are ready to fix it all, Avi. A voter ID in Wisconsin is not that big of a deal, and in 2012, you will discover that for yourself. I am of the opinion that all of the issues you cited will be fixed by this ID, and none of the voters who had been disenfranchised will be so again.

    The ID is not designed to “fix” anything, you insistently myopic fuckwit. THERE’S NO PROBLEM TO FIX. THERE IS NO VOTER FRAUD, you ignorant shit stain. Voter ID is DESIGNED to keep a block of predominantly Democratic voters from casting a ballot. If you cannot or will not recognize that, you’re too fucking stupid to be trusted with anything remotely resembling fiduciary duties.

    I see the Left and the Right AS THE SAME. Not with the same goals, but with the same tactics. America is vastly, MOSTLY Middle. It’s time our legislation started reflecting that, rather than catering to the squeaky wheels on the Left and the Right.

    BOTH SIDE! BOTH SIDES!! BOTH SIDES!! Wash, rinse, repeat ad nauseum.

    Also @ PPP:

    CV’s mean nothing to me, Avi. Nothing. I can’t begin to tell you how many applicants I get with extremely impressive educational backgrounds who are, to be kind, idiots in the real world.

    Since you were yammering about education, I thought COMPARING EDUCATION would be, you know, relevant to settling the point. Of course, now you want to move the goalposts. NOW education is meaningless.

    I own my own business, survived the depression (so far), and am not doing too badly. I employ five people, and struggled to keep that many on over the last three years. My college education had almost NOTHING to do with that.

    Streamers, confetti, and a marching phalanx of jizz whistles.

    Get an education in the real world, Avi.

    Learn how to advise investors in a marketplace where criminals earn seven figures yearly and nine- figure Golden Parachutes, and you have to learn how to avoid their scams and keep your clients’ money safe. Learn how to be compliant with the SEC all the while knowing that firms much larger than yours don’t have to. Do that while still earning a living. Learn how to calm your clients’ fears in the midst of a depression. Some of us actually obey the law and act as fiduciaries.

    You arrogant bastard. Is there no limit to how stupid you’re prepared to come off? The REAL world? I’ve worked for legal aid, defending the indigent and mentally ill; worked as part of a team assisting the development of modern judicial systems in developing nations; represented indigenous farmers in litigation against international agribusiness; taught Taiwanese law students the fine points of maritime and international trade law; consulted with the Taiwanese government with regard to their relationships with the WTO and the WHO…
    The REAL world? What the fuck would you know about the real world, jamming some doof’s IRA in and out of various mutual funds? Fiduciary, indeed. I’ve encountered that word many times…most commonly when the duty is breached…or totally fucking disregarded.

    But I’ve seen some very impressive CV’s end up as nothing more than white collar mafia bosses, running banks and entire nations into the dirt.

    What you actually done with all of your education?

    See above. And since your unfettered business success and high moral standing had, as you say, nothing to do with your education, the question arises: What have you done with YOURS?

  • JMAshby

    This is some tasty popcorn.

      Not too salty?

      indeed. quite delicious. :-)

  • mrbrink

    I’m so glad I didn’t miss this.

    Independent swing-voters are taking over!!!