Monthly Archives: June 2011

Like A Business

Artist – Jeff Parker In other news, Senators Rand Paul (R-KY), Jim DeMint (R-SC) and Mike Lee (R-UT) introduced a bill this week to bring back gold and silver coins as a means of solving the nation’s fiscal problems, and … Continue reading

Posted in Open Thread | Tagged , , , , | 12 Comments

The Enthusiasm Gap

Democrats often have problems with voter apathy and lackluster levels of enthusiasm, but nothing compared to this! According to a new NYTimes/CBS poll, 71% of Republicans would like to see someone new enter the Republican presidential race, and only 23% … Continue reading

Posted in Poll | Tagged , , , , , | 9 Comments

Dems Propose Temporary Debt Ceiling Increase

President Obama and the Democrats are trying to cut a deal for a temporary increase of the debt ceiling. (Reuters) – President Barack Obama and Senate Democrats are weighing a scaled-back U.S. budget deal that would avert a looming default … Continue reading

Posted in Economy | Tagged , , , , | 6 Comments

Cable Punditry Wrong Again

The conventional wisdom among the DC media for the last year or so has been that President Obama owns the economy. The Republicans, naturally, continue to blame the economy on President Obama — they don’t seem to remember anything that … Continue reading

Posted in Economy | Tagged , , | 12 Comments

CNN is Very Serious

Actual CNN headline: Kim K. gets X-ray to prove her butt’s real I can’t believe I accused American cable news of being stupid and shallow.

Posted in The Media | Tagged , , | 7 Comments

Super Stupid

Just when I thought Republican contradictions couldn’t shock me any more, this comes along. Weeks ago, the House Republicans overwhelmingly approved the Paul Ryan budget plan. All of them. Every Republican. And yesterday, The Hill highlighted the Republican push for … Continue reading

Posted in Republican Party | Tagged , , , , , | 8 Comments

Crazy Quote of the Day

“We have to understand: barbarians need to be educated. They need to be disciplined.” Dr. Marcus Bachmann, husband of Rep. Michele Bachmann discussing gay people Bachmann’s medical practice evidently includes “curing” people of their gayness. Yeah, he might actually be … Continue reading

Posted in LGBT | Tagged , , | 32 Comments

Morning Awesome

“My Favorite Movie Music” theme week rolls on with Tomoyasu Hotei and “Battle Without Honor Or Humanity” from Kill Bill Volume 1.

Posted in Morning Awesome | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Nothing To Show For It

Artist – Mike Keefe In other news, a new poll shows that Governor Rick Perry would lose his home state of Texas in a matchup against President Obama, and Boeing has been found to be overcharging the government by as … Continue reading

Posted in Open Thread | Tagged , , , , | 20 Comments

The ACA Is Constitutional

The constitutionality of the Affordable Care Act, which Republicans lovingly refer to as “Obamacare,” was upheld today by the first federal appeals court to hear the case. The Sixth Court of Appeals’ three-judge panel agreed 2-1 with a federal judge … Continue reading

Posted in Healthcare | Tagged , , , | 4 Comments

Same-Sex Marriage and The President

Andrew Sullivan on the president’s role in same-sex equality: The president has no actual political authority over this issue. He does have moral authority. But what close observers know about Obama is that he does not think of the presidency … Continue reading

Posted in LGBT | Tagged , , , , | 8 Comments

All Politics is State and Local

While a considerable cross section of the progressive movement is preoccupied with shaming the president while contemplating doomed-to-fail primary challenges, the real fights are being waged at the state and local level. For example, the far-right is kicking our asses … Continue reading

Posted in Abortion | Tagged , | 7 Comments

Worst Person in the World

What an awful, awful lady: New York’s gay weddings victory lap has not extended to all parts of the Empire State, with a rural town clerk determined to not sign any same-sex marriage licenses. Barbara MacEwen, the town clerk in … Continue reading

Posted in LGBT | Tagged , , | 16 Comments

President Obama Press Conference Thread

The president will be holding a press conference any time now. Talk about it in the comments here. I hope he starts screaming and shouting things — you know, to show “leadership.” I predict there will be a very serious … Continue reading

Posted in President Obama | Tagged , , | 33 Comments

Back Into the Ditch

I hate to disagree with my colleague Mr. Ashby, but $600 billion in revenue increases in the deficit negotiations aren’t nearly enough. Double that number and we might be closer to fair. In fact, Ezra Klein reports the number is … Continue reading

Posted in Economy | Tagged , , | 1 Comment

Just a Reminder About the Deficit and Debt

Fact. The bulk of the federal budget deficit is the result of Bush era policies. Chart: Fact. The bulk of the national debt is the result of Bush era policies. Chart: Sorry. You can’t blame the deficit or the debt … Continue reading

Posted in Economy | Tagged , , | 1 Comment

Morning Awesome

“My Favorite Movie Music” theme week for the Summer of 2011 continues. Here’s The Cars and “Moving in Stereo” from Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

Posted in Morning Awesome | Tagged , , | 4 Comments

The Way We Like It

Artist – Bob Englehart In other news, Republican presidential candidate Tim Pawlenty decided to join the ranks of climate change deniers today by saying the “science is bad,” and the Republican-controlled state house of Ohio passed a bill which would … Continue reading

Posted in Open Thread | Tagged , , , | 14 Comments

The Only Way To Get It Done

The Obama Administration has been clear from day one what they expect to get out of budget negotiations, but you may not think so if you were to listen to the constant stream of pundits and media personalities yelling at … Continue reading

Posted in Economy | Tagged , , , | 14 Comments

Chart of the Day

Low tax rates for the wealthy won’t create jobs. We know this. Fact. Spending, not tax cuts, stimulates the economy and creates jobs. Via Ezra Klein, proof in convenient bar graph form: When the top marginal tax rates were 39.6 … Continue reading

Posted in Economy | Tagged , , , , | 11 Comments