Bring the Boys Home, Save $1.1 Trillion

Most if not all of the Republicans are opposed to President Obama ending the Iraq War as well as the forthcoming end to the Afghanistan War. But, via Ezra Klein, the CBO says that reducing our military forces in those theaters would reduce the deficit by $1.1 trillion over the next 10 years.

“…the number of military personnel deployed for war-related purposes would decline over a five-year period to an average of 180,000 in 2011, 130,000 in 2012, 100,000 in 2013, 65,000 in 2014, and 45,000 in 2015 and thereafter. Under this scenario, total discretionary outlays over the 2012–2021 period would be $1.1 trillion less than the amount in the baseline. Debt-service costs would bring the cumulative savings relative to the baseline to about $1.4 trillion over the coming decade.”

But the Republicans don’t want that. And they were the ones cheerleading the whole ordeal in the first place, costing us trillions of dollars and thousands of American lives.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Afghanistan, Iraq and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

    Even well run wars cost a lot of money, let alone having two at a time where we lose $1 Billion worth of fuel and giant truckloads of cash.

    If that isn’t sinking in with people the “One day of tax cuts = a year of food assistance” argument isn’t worth making.

  • BuffaloBuckeye

    No surprise that the Republicans cheered this on. Bush cuts taxes to the wealty, so it isn’t their money spent. Their sons are not likely spillng their blood, either.

    • Scopedog

      Nailed it, Buffalo.

      I mean, whatever one thinks of Joe Biden, he has a son in the military and his son has been deployed to Afghanistan (if I’m wrong, someone correct me, please). So he’s got every right to want to bring the troops home, to get them out as soon as possible.

      The Republicans…nah. They don’t care. So long as it’s about bringing down Obama, they do not give a damn–even if it means dragging the whole bloody country over the cliff.

      • BuffaloBuckeye

        Scope, just for some personal perspective, the ‘body’ count of my wife’s siblings and their spouses is a dozen, split in half between liberals and conservatives. IIRC, vast majority of us were in favor of some form of intervention in Afghanistan after 9/11. With Iraq, a severe split on opinion. Two of my conservative brothers-in-law felt this was an existential event.

        Interestingly enough, both of them had sons of military age, but neither of then thought it was a good idea for their sons to volunteer for this existential conflict. I guess harms way doesn’t apply to all.