Congress Is Very Serious

Do something! No don’t do something!

The House of Representatives voted on a pair of resolutions related to the Libyan conflict today. The first resolution — which rebukes President Obama for the way he has conducted the Libyan operation and demands more information and accountability from the administration — passed 268 to 145. The second resolution, authored by Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-OH), would’ve required U.S. armed forces to withdraw from Libya within 15 days. It failed 265 to 148.

House Republicans voted unanimously to shame President Obama for his handling of the situation in Libya, but then also voted unanimously to stay in Libya.

It’s worth mentioning though that U.S. forces are not engaged in a direct combat role in day to day operations in Libya, and they haven’t been for quite some time. European nations have done and continue to do the overwhelming majority of the heavy lifting.

What will House Republicans do next? Introduce a clean increase to the debt ceiling just so they can vote it down? Oh wait…

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Congress and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    House Republicans voted unanimously to shame President Obama for his handling of the situation in Libya, but then also voted unanimously to stay in Libya.

    -alopecia

  • BuffaloBuckeye

    I read these articles on the HouseRep legislative circlejerk and I swear that I’ve logged onto The Onion. Time for some merlot.

  • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

    And in the Senate, John McCain is very serious about wanting the US to take a more direct role in Libya and stop letting NATO run the show. So OT1H, the US is doing TOO MUCH!!! And OTOH the US is NOT DOING ENOUGH!!!

  • Robert Scalzi

    Republican’ts are know nothing twits and Kucinich needs a little more alien anal probing…doesn’t Kucinich know that WE DON”T HAVE ANY TROOPS IN LIBYA and don’t the republican’ts know anything about anything ?? apparently not. Screw them both

    • Scopedog

      I’m afraid you’re right on this, Robert.

      What’s even more galling is seeing people like David Swanson PRAISE Bonehead and the Republicans for doing this…because, you know, Obama got the US involved in a third war illegally over in Libya….

      …except that we have NO troops over there, and the ones really doing the airstrikes are European forces.

      I agree–screw them both.

  • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_W2KMEP5YVWTHLPN6VRZ7C634FE Jason

    So, this means the Republicans (and some Democrats now) are on the record as being “pro-massacre”? I know history is an evil concept in the republican party, even history as recent as that which occurs days before (see: Newt Gingrich), but those were the stakes: Witness a massacre that casts a pall on the Arab Spring, or stem it right there with NATO air strikes. Congress is on record now for choosing the former. Funny, since most of those clowns would still defend going into Iraq, the giant time wasting, monetary sinkhole, through-rose-colored glasses pyrrhic victory that it was. I don’t mean to suggest they are awful hypocrites; I mean to blatantly say it in the starkest terms possible.