Conservatives Love Taxes

They do. Love, love, love the taxes. Every year, for several weeks around tax time, conservatives freak out and whine about middle and working class Americans who, for various reasons including unemployment, don’t have to pay federal income taxes. For example, here’s the Fox & Friends monkeys screeching about people who don’t pay any taxes.

On the April 9 edition of Fox News’ Fox & Friends, after co-host Gretchen Carlson stated that “yesterday we were reporting a story that 47 percent of all Americans don’t pay any taxes,” Fox Business host Stuart Varney stated: “Yes, 47 percent of households pay not a single dime in taxes. And some of those households actually make a profit from the Treasury.” Co-host Steve Doocy asked, “Is that fair.”

Bizarre. But not shocking considering the far-right penchant for contradictions. Conservatives claim to hate taxes, and then they complain when some people don’t have to pay income taxes.

But it turns out that working and middle class Americans pay far more in total federal taxes. Courtesy of Meteor Blades, here’s proof in convenient graph form:

Oh, and it’s been proven and reported that rich people pay a lower effective tax rate — that’s the tax rate following deductions and credits — than their employees. Let’s ask Warren Buffett what he pays and what his secretary pays.

Mr Buffett said that he was taxed at 17.7 per cent on the $46 million he made last year, without trying to avoid paying higher taxes, while his secretary, who earned $60,000, was taxed at 30 per cent.

But conservatives will tell you that Warren Buffett deserves a tax cut, and his secretary should pay $8000-a-year out of her own pocket for “Medicare” when she retires. And if she’s ever laid off and doesn’t pay any federal income tax that year, Steve Doocy will question whether or not that’s “fair” — while he cackles and hurls his own feces around the studio.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Economy and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://www.copywritingdean.com/ Stephen Dean

    It’s not the deductions and credits Buffet gets, it’s that most of his income comes from long term capital gains. The rich pay 15% on long term capital gains, the lowest bracket pays 5%.

    It may seem unfair to tax capital less than labor, but you didn’t point that out at all in this article.

    Your graph on payroll taxes is deceptive, since social security is not supposed to be a welfare program. And you completely leave out that the top 10% of earners pay 68% of all income taxes collected.

    Is this blog all about cherry picking stats and graphs to make a point? Poorly made as it is?

    • i_a_c

      And you completely leave out that the top 10% of earners pay 68% of all income taxes collected.

      This is how math works in progressive taxation. Since the top 10% controls 2/3 of the wealth, it seems pretty fair to me that they pay 2/3 of the taxes.

      • http://www.copywritingdean.com/ Stephen Dean

        That might make sense if you were taxing wealth, but you’re not. You’re taxing income. (And your stat isn’t correct anyway.) 10% of earners make 37% of the income and pay 68% of the income tax. Ya, that’s progressive, not regressive like Bob was trying to imply.

        • i_a_c

          No, my stat on wealth is correct. It might even be a little low. Try Google.

          Again, that’s how the math works. You go where the money is. You make more, you pay more. You make less, you don’t pay. That’s how you make enough money to run the government. You can’t have a “flat tax” that pays for government without taking huge chunks out of low incomes.

          • http://www.copywritingdean.com/ Stephen Dean

            So which is it, “correct” or “a little low?” I thought it was low.

            The article suggests we have a regressive tax system. I didn’t disagree in all cases because the rich make more money from capital gains than the poor – but I did point out that the income tax is progressive. You seem to be trying to convince me of something I already said.

            Bob didn’t mention the progressive income tax – that you and I seem to agree makes the rich pay more, a lot more.

          • i_a_c

            Geez, I’m sorry for pulling out the 2/3 number when I didn’t have the 71% figure at the top of my head. Crimeny.

          • http://www.copywritingdean.com/ Stephen Dean

            I thought it was higher than 71%. Some sources say more than 90%.

    • BuffaloBuckeye

      “And you completely leave out that the top 10% of earners pay 68% of all income taxes collected.”

      So, these top 10% have what percentage of income (labor and capital)? Nice job of cherry picking stats, as poorly made as they are.

      • http://www.copywritingdean.com/ Stephen Dean

        Top 10% make 37% of income and pay 68% of the taxes. You should try to make a point while trying to sound clever.

        • BuffaloBuckeye

          Thank you for complying with my request to provide relevant information.