Delicious Chemical McNuggets

Eeeewwwwww.

According to the McDonald’s Corporation, its famous Chicken McNuggets are made with ingredients including autolyzed yeast extract (which contain free glutamate, similar to MSG), sodium phosphates and sodium aluminum phosphate. But that’s not the freaky part. According to McDonald’s own website, Chicken McNuggets are also made with “hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness” and “Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent.” (http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/nutr…)

At least two of these ingredients are artificially synthesized industrial chemicals. TBHQ, a petroleum derivative, is used as a stabilizer in perfumes, resins, varnishes and oil field chemicals. Laboratory studies have linked it to stomach tumors. “At higher doses, it has some negative health effects on lab animals, such as producing precursors to stomach tumors and damage to DNA. A number of studies have shown that prolonged exposure to high doses of TBHQ may be carcinogenic, especially for stomach tumors.” (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TBHQ)

Dimethylpolysiloxane, a type of silicone, is used in caulks and sealants, as a filler for breast implants, and as key ingredient in Silly Putty.

Anti-foaming agent? Again. Eeeewwwwww. I don’t even want to know what’s in the dipping sauces.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Food and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

    That’s horrifying! How many millions of kids love those damn things. I knew there was a reason I refused to eat at McDonald’s.

  • Corebela

    Just another reason to not eat fast food added to the list. Considering the rest of the shit we know about fast food in general, anyone that hasn’t already stopped eating it probably cannot be convinced to do so from this or anything else. Too bad children can’t understand how awful it is which to me is the worst part.

  • Jerry Lehane

    One of the more troubling things I’ve seen is the difference between the kids on both sides of the atlantic for Jamie Oliver’s show.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKSoiDtdi9s
    and
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKwL5G5HbGA

    It’s probably somewhat staged for effect, but it is mostly true. Until we stop buying it they’ll keep selling it.

    • http://profile.typepad.com/6p0133f2fe1e26970b FryShyGuy

      Oh come on, I’m all for health eating, but in defense of those American kids, they look about four to five years younger than the British kids. They probably don’t know any better yet.

      Lord knows I was pretty stupid for a good portion of my life, despite my parents raising me on healthy foods, I *still* wanted the junk.

    mmm…..yummy.

    Even yummier is the “glue” they use to make the meat stick together.

    http://planetgreen.discovery.com/food-health/meat-glue-ingredients.html

    I literally gag every time I hear about this stuff.

  • lsamsa

    It’s nicknamed ‘Rotten Ronnie’s’ for a good reason.

  • Robert Scalzi

    Thank you for this . I have been forwarding the linked article to everyone I know w/ children.

  • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1655290390 Steven Skelton

    My wife and I decided in January that we were no longer going to eat anything that isn’t food…at least as much as we can help it.

    What we’ve found is the further away from fast food/processed food we get, the more disgusted by it we are. It just isn’t appetizing anymore.

  • http://eclectablog.com Eclectablog

    Bob, if you think these ingredients are unique to McNuggets, you don’t read enough food labels. Most of these things are in a wide variety of processed foods. Which is, of course, why I avoid processed food the vast majority of the time. Because, as you say: Eeeewwwwww.