Doof Quote of the Day

“You go back to the Founding Fathers, as far as they were concerned, they’d already had the entire debate on creation-evolution. And you get Thomas Paine, who was the least religious Founding Father, saying you’ve got to teach creation science in the public school classroom. The scientific method demands that. Now, we’re opposite today.” Glenn Beck’s favorite bizarro-historian David Barton

Okay, so the theory of evolution didn’t exist until nearly a hundred years later.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Science, Wingnuts and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://www.facebook.com/people/Jeff-Farias/1194429951 Jeff Farias

    maybe that’s what Paul Revere was trying to warn the British about – Darwin was coming

    Okay, so the theory of evolution didn’t exist until nearly a hundred years later.

    That’s just how AWESOME the Founding Fathers were!! They just KNEW.

    Like the little known Ben Franklin broadside: “On The Propensity For Controlled Matter-Antimatter Explosions And Their Application For Superluminal Space Travel”

    • muselet

      Jefferson’s monographs on string theory were pretty amazing, too.

        Very true.

        It’s just a pity that no one reads the classics anymore.

      • BuffaloBuckeye

        Did Jefferson or Adams postulate the singularity? And which one did the E=MC2 thingy? I get confused.

  • http://twitter.com/iliteratie iliterati

    problem is, like some founders, Beck supports slavery too.

  • trgahan

    Nevermind that we also didn’t have anything like the “public school classrooms” at the time that Barton is suggesting.

    I’m sure Wikipedia will be edited accordingly to detail how the continental congress was only about gun rights, abortion, free market captialism, and creationism.

    • GrafZeppelin127

      I had a RW/TPer ask me once, “Do you really think the Founding Fathers would have envisioned the Gun Free School Zones Act?”

      Well, no, I replied, given that in 1790 there were no public schools and no handguns.

      I asked another RW/TPer, who suggested we’d be better off without public roads, to cite an historical example of a nation with purely private transportation infrastructure. He cited America in the 1830s. When there were no automobiles.

        Graf, one tiny little nitpick. There were pistol at that time, I’m pretty sure. They were big, heavy monstrosities that most men would have to hold with two hands, they used powder like all weapons at that time and they were notoriously inaccurate (rifling had not yet either been invented or used). :)

        • GrafZeppelin127

          OK, but I’d hardly equate an 18th-century pistol with the modern concept of the handgun. The Colt revolver didn’t come out until the 1830s at the earliest.

            Point well taken. Also very few people would have had pistols then anyway. They weren’t any good for hunting so they were probably more generally vanity pieces for gentlemen (for dueling and other stupid things)

          • BuffaloBuckeye

            That might be a challenge for a 2nd grader to wield.

        Also, there were public roads in the 1830s… and before. “Post Roads” were established very early on. I’m on pain meds from dental surgery, so can’t be assed to use Teh Google to find out exactly when, but I *think* as far back as the Articles of Confederation. Seems Ben Franklin (he of the aforementioned broadside) had sommat to do with it.

        But all this historical fact would have gone right over the head of your RW/TPer

        • BuffaloBuckeye

          Pain meds for dental surgery work wonders; especially the ‘central nervous system depressant’ ones. Good luck to you.

      • trgahan

        Your RW/TPer would also be wrong about the 1830’s US being some “private enterprise” utopia.

        In 1803 congress enacted funds to build the national road from Cumberland, MD to present day Wheeling, WV to assist in settlement of region. (sorry for the history geek out)

  • Clancy

    Barton’s excellent point here just goes to show how forward-thinking the Founders were and why they clearly intended each and every one of us to also own (and use) atomic weapons. The Second Amendment’s clarity on this matter proves that they had already had the entire debate on nuclear arms.

  • Buffalodavid

    Okay, I’ve talked about this before, just not here.

    Yes the scientific method does imply that you should consider all aspects of a question. But only to the point that the question remains valid. If you come to a fork in the road and all the evidence points to the path on the left, you are correct to put the path on the right aside.

    What the Beckerhead and Barton and all the “teach the controversy” advocates don’t seem to understand, not teaching creation theory in a science class room is to THEIR benefit.

    How so, little Buffalo, you might ask.

    In a properly taught science class, all hypothesis are up for grabs. All must be treated with the same scrutiny. All must show tangible and reproducible properties to be considered a part of empirical reality.

    Do the religious really want to open up these stories to this kind of investigation?

    I know they think they do. But if they were rational thinkers, they wouldn’t be religious to begin with.

    • BuffaloBuckeye

      From one Buffalo’ish to another, good point. Where empirical reality is just that, reproducable, the other point, faith based, by its nature, is not. Maybe that’s why RW dunderheads go for the faith option, it removes all burden of proof. How much easier can that be?

  • incredulous72

    That man, is an IDIOT.

  • ElayneB

    Personally, I think these wingnuts know that their kids aren’t smart enough to pass a class or test on evolution, what with the math and facts, so they choose to go with creationism because there are only 2 questions on the test: 1) Who make everything and 2) how long did it take him.

    Now, why oh why can’t these people also choose to not believe in gravity and just float away??

      No, the problem is they know their kids are smarter than them and, if given knowledge, would run from the Stone Age Superstition, and thence RWedness, in droves.

  • ainsleyroad

    The names Thomas Paine and Glenn Beck should never be uttered in the same sentence, other than to point out that one was a genius and the other never will be. Paine would chew Beck up and spit him out were he alive today.

    Calling Thomas Paine “The least religious” is like calling Yao Ming the least short, as if to say everyone else in the NBA is properly considered more short.