Monthly Archives: June 2011

I Have My Own Religion

Artist – David Fitzsimmons In other news, Wisconsin Supreme Court Justice David Prosser has “nothing to say” about reports that he physically assaulted a fellow female justice, and members of a charitable group were arrested in Orlando, Florida for serving … Continue reading

Posted in Open Thread | Tagged , , , , | 9 Comments

Win or Lose, It's Sabotage

Ezra Klein on the debt battle: Whichever party wins, the country is likely to lose. If the Republicans win, we’re going to get an unbalanced debt deal that relies too heavily on frontloaded spending cuts, forgoes tax hikes that could … Continue reading

Posted in Economy | Tagged , , , | 11 Comments

Intellectual Honesty

A Republican state senator exercises true intellectual honesty regarding his vote in support of same-sex marriage. “You can be wiser today than you were yesterday, when you do the work.” Exactly. You can do it, Republicans. It’s not that difficult.

Posted in LGBT | Tagged , , , | 3 Comments

Protecting Us from Robots

President Obama at the National Robotics Engineering Center at Carnegie Mellon University yesterday: “I just met with folks from some cutting-edge companies and saw some of their inventions here in your National Robotics Engineering Center, but that’s not the only … Continue reading

Posted in Robots | Tagged , | 7 Comments

Quote of the Day

“Fuck it, I don’t care what you think. I’m trying to do the right thing.” Republican state senator from New York Roy McDonald who voted to legalize same-sex marriage Congratulations, New Yorkers!

Posted in LGBT | Tagged , , | 5 Comments

New York Legalizes Same-Sex Marriage

If activists want a model for precisely how to legalize same-sex marriage, look to New York. Cuomo orchestrated in such a way so as to pass it through a Republican-majority state senate. Remarkable. Gay couples and proponents of gay rights … Continue reading

Posted in LGBT | Tagged , , | 18 Comments

Morning Awesome

MST3K Saturday – “Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster”

Posted in Morning Awesome | Tagged , | Leave a comment

A Little Compromise

Artist – Adam Zyglis In other news, Eric Cantor reportedly walked out of budget negotiations to protect tax breaks for people making over $500,000 per year, and Governor Scott Walker of Wisconsin was forced to cancel his budget signing ceremony … Continue reading

Posted in Open Thread | Tagged , , , , , | 8 Comments

The Best Campaigners Democrats Could Hope For

The Republicans are under the mistaken belief that keeping the nation’s attention focused on congress as they continuously fumble the ball on the debt ceiling, jobs, consecutive abortion bills, the war on women, and even the deficit by pointing their … Continue reading

Posted in Election 2012 | Tagged , , , , | 3 Comments

Congress Is Very Serious About Libya

The House of Representatives voted on two bills today. One, to defund our logistical involvement in Libya. The other, to profess congressional support for our logistical involvement in Libya. Both bills were defeated. In a confused message to President Obama, … Continue reading

Posted in Congress | Tagged , , , , | 11 Comments

We're Not at War in Libya

At least, we’re not engaged in combat per se. Therefore, President Obama isn’t responsible for violating the War Powers Act — at least not anywhere close to the extent it’s been violated by almost every modern president. The United States … Continue reading

Posted in Libya | Tagged , , | 71 Comments

Bring the Boys Home, Save $1.1 Trillion

Most if not all of the Republicans are opposed to President Obama ending the Iraq War as well as the forthcoming end to the Afghanistan War. But, via Ezra Klein, the CBO says that reducing our military forces in those … Continue reading

Posted in Afghanistan, Iraq | Tagged , , , , , | 4 Comments

Crazy Quote of the Day

“I’m surprised the health department has not come out against this because we are going to have an HIV epidemic if this passes. You don’t see two male dogs sleeping in the same dog house together.” New York State Senator … Continue reading

Posted in Quote | Tagged , , | 10 Comments

Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins

New images from Peter Jackson’s forthcoming The Hobbit movies! Bag-freaking-end! Oh yes.

Posted in Movies | Tagged , , | 6 Comments

Morning Awesome

“My Favorite Movie Music” theme week continues with U2’s “The Hands That Built America” from Gangs of New York.

Posted in Morning Awesome | Tagged , , | 1 Comment

The Towering Tax Cuts

Artist – Pat Bagley In other news, Governor Bev Perdue (D) of North Carolina vetoed a bill passed by the Republican-controlled state legislature which would have required photo-IDs to vote, and Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain says he would fix … Continue reading

Posted in Open Thread | Tagged , , , , | 11 Comments

GOP Candidate: China Will Invade If We Raise The Debt Ceiling

Remember the time when the Chinese Empire invaded following the last increase of the national debt ceiling? Me neither. A campaign advertisement for a Republican congressional candidate from Nevada that depicts the Chinese army marching on the U.S. Capitol has … Continue reading

Posted in Wingnuts | Tagged , , , , | 8 Comments

State of Florida Selling Driver’s License Information

Is this what conservatives are referring to when they talk about raising additional revenue without increasing taxes? The State of Florida made $62,968,946 from the sale of Floridians driver’s license information in the last fiscal year, a practice that has … Continue reading

Posted in Epic Fail | Tagged , , , , | 11 Comments

Jackass Of The Day

John Yoo, author of the “torture memos” and advocate of warrant-less wiretapping, criticizing President Obama’s interpretation of the War Powers Act and our logistical involvement in Libya. Just as the administration brushed aside the Constitution’s limits on the federal government’s … Continue reading

Posted in Wingnuts | Tagged , , , , | 16 Comments

Why Do The Republicans Hate America?

More news on the Republican effort to “undermine the Commander-in-Chief”: WASHINGTON — House Republican leaders will bring a bill to the floor as soon as Friday to defund U.S. military operations in Libya, a much stronger course of action than … Continue reading

Posted in Republican Party | Tagged , , , | 23 Comments