Rick Scott and the “Failed Stimulus” Program

Governor Rick Scott just can’t quit you, Big Government Cash™

TALLAHASSEE — Gov. Rick Scott campaigned against President Obama’s “failed stimulus” program – yet the freshman politician kept nearly $370 million of the federal cash in the Florida budget he signed last week.

Scott’s decision to keep the stimulus money stands out in a year when the governor touted record budget vetoes of up to $615 million. He emphasized the vetoes of “wasteful” spending at a Thursday event that featured a campaign-style “Promises Made, Promises Kept” banner.

But as he ran for office last summer, Scott said he “would fight all the stimulus money.” He also told reporters “I would have figured out how to balance the budget without it.”

Well, so much for that idea. The “failed stimulus” program apparently wasn’t a big enough failure to warrant its exclusion from Florida’s budget.

When asked to explain this glaring contradiction, Scott came up empty:

According to ThinkProgress, 61 lines of the Florida budget contained stimulus money, and the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (the stimulus program) is specifically referenced 66 times.

Keep going Republicans! All the way to 2012! You’re doing great!

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Rick Scott, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    I’m torn. Is the correct response to that video to scream in frustration or to admit to a grudging admiration of Rick Scott’s ability to stick to his two (or was it three?) talking points.

    Upon reflection, I have decided the right response is hysterical laughter.

    -alopecia

    • JMAshby

      I was conflicted as well, but I almost always am when it comes to Republicans. On one hand there is comical amusement, and on the other there is utter contempt.

  • http://twitter.com/bphoon Brian C

    This guy’s a fuckin’ douche-and-a-half.

    • Robert Scalzi

      thats way too kind of you only a douche and a half ?? LOL I was thinking douche times 100

  • Corebela

    That was unbelievably stupid! Seriously I would not believe it had I not just watched it.

  • BuffaloBuckeye

    Painful to think this dip is actually a guv…

  • mattpd

    someone’s gotta pay for all the drug tests…