Rick “The Frothy” Santorum’s Google Problem

It would appear that someone inside Santorum HQ has finally discovered what shows up when you run a search using the presidential candidate’s name.

MSNBC’s Chuck Todd talked to Santorum about his “Google issue” Thursday. [...]

“Do you think google has any responsibility in how its search engine works,” Todd asked.

“It comes with the territory,” Santorum explained. “There are foul people out there who do horrible things. It’s unfortunate some people thought it would be a big joke to make fun of my name. That comes with the territory.”

“You don’t think google should step in themselves?” Todd prodded.

“I don’t know how they’ve treated other circumstances and other situations, whether they treated it differently than mine. I would suggest that if they have treated it differently and have done things stop this kind of this vile activity and filth on the Internet, they should apply it equally to me and everybody else,” Santorum said.

A question for Chuck Todd — Do you think Google should step in themselves? Do you believe a search engine should filter their results to protect a politician?

I would hope not.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Very Serious Question and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

    Google won’t remove his results ever.

    If he wants to improve the results, he/his staff/his fans should add positive results such as fan sites, etc..

      Positive results? Fan sites? So…you mean…they should LIE.

        Well, sure. I mean, hey, I’m just pointing out the solution to the moron’s problem, not condoning it. :-)

    • http://twitter.com/Nanotyrnns Gearóid O’Tuathal

      Word is that’s exactly what they’re trying to do. They’re creating blog posts all over the place to try to supplant the current google results. Won’t work.

      And Santorum, as well as other “politicians” like Sarah Palin, need to learn a hard truth: If you run around saying really stupid things, you can’t then be surprised when people ridicule you for being stupid enough to say them.

        They need full sites. Blog posts will not do the trick.

        • muselet

          I could be wrong (it’s certainly happened before), but it’s my understanding that blog posts would work, if enough people Google and click through.

          –alopecia

          • moelarryandjesus

            Somehow I don’t think Ricky’s 211 followers are gonna be able to pull it off.

    • BuffaloBuckeye

      If RS wants positive results, he needs to change his last name.

  • Byproxy73

    Speaking of Rick Santorum, Politifact offers this analysis of two of his statements thus far:

    http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2011/jun/09/truth-o-meter-rick-santorum/

    But I’m sure there will be more. Such an honorable guy.

  • jmby

    Chuck Todd is so very serious. That’s the kind of hard-hitting question he asks? How about calling this tool out on all the “facts” he’s made up.

    “Filth” is a perfectly accurate noun. After all, the google search result for the term Santorum has fecal matter as a constituent element. That’s most definitely filthy. No need to rehash the old debate about dogs versus that pig, Arnold, from Green Acres: Santorum is not ten times more charming and it’s definitely filthy.

    “Vile”, on the other…er…hand, is a matter of opinion. Since the campaign to associate the name with the result was a response to Santorum’s (the Proper Noun!) continual advancement of repulsive, backward, uneducated, hateful, slanderous, twisted, fantastic and ugly claims designed to impede the civil rights of an identifiable group of American citizens, many would not call it vile – many would call it getting just what one fucking well deserves…if not getting what one ASS-fucking well deserves.

      “Vile”, on the other…er…hand, is a matter of opinion. Since the campaign to associate the name with the result was a response to Santorum’s (the Proper Noun!) continual advancement of repulsive, backward, uneducated, hateful, slanderous, twisted, fantastic and ugly claims designed to impede the civil rights of an identifiable group of American citizens, many would not call it vile – many would call it getting just what one fucking well deserves…if not getting what one ASS-fucking well deserves.

      Indeed.

      cousinavi, remind me never, EVER to get on the wrong side of you! Your posts are like razors. And I love every word of them. :)

        I have no bad side and resent the implication.
        You shall be soundly spanked.
        Meet me in the Wiener room.

        • http://www.facebook.com/o0.david.john.0o David John

          ditto .. and I dig your nick…
          pull up your socks! ;)

          Is that Weiner or Wiener Room? PS: I don’t get spanked, I do the spanking ;)

            You get what you deserve.

  • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=596311948 Amy Sage

    I’m a little confused. According to the transcript, he only said that IF Google has interceded in other search engine sabotage cases, then they should intervene in his too, which is a perfectly viable answer, isn’t it? Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a Santorum fan, but I don’t see what was so bad about his answer in this case.

    BTW – I think this is my first post here, but I’ve been a daily bobcesca.com reader for close to a year. Love your posts.

    • JMAshby

      That part of his answer was acceptable, but I found it ironic to see him accusing others of being “foul” as he is the poster child for foul people.

      Also – Chucky Todd twice asking if Google should be held responsible irks me.

    • agrazingmoose

      Welcome Amy!

  • agrazingmoose

    NPR is reporting that Newt’s staff have jumped ship. Couldn’t have happened to a more deserving guy.

  • muselet

    I would suggest that everyone Google “santorum” and click on the first link, the one for spreadingsantorum [dot] com, five or ten times a day, but that would be wrong. ;^)

    –alopecia

    EDITED to remove the automatic link. Besides, accessing the site directly doesn’t affect Google stats.

  • laddieluv

    IMO, Chuck “Toad” has become a complete tool.

  • i_a_c

    Santorum is my favorite candidate. He’s so stupid it’s stunning. Extremism on social issues doesn’t play as well as it used to, especially in bad economic times. But he’s free to run for president and provide cheap entertainment for yours truly.

  • http://www.facebook.com/people/Peter-Bockenthien/1476190129 Peter Bockenthien

    Watch the Filter Bubble at TED. Filtering is already done. Side by side on the same network my partner and I get slightly different results.

  • hedgesahead

    When will Captain Boycott, Governor Gerry, Dr. Guillotin, & Justice Lynch see redress for the continuation of their eponymous slanderings as well? Etymology has a long memory.
    To borrow an exchange from ‘Men in Tights’
    “…You mean you changed your name TO Latrine?”
    “Yeah. Used to be S***house.”