State of Florida Selling Driver’s License Information

Is this what conservatives are referring to when they talk about raising additional revenue without increasing taxes?

The State of Florida made $62,968,946 from the sale of Floridians driver’s license information in the last fiscal year, a practice that has been occurring almost unknown for years.

I-Team investigator Michael George reported that the state’s Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles sells drivers’ license information, including Floridians full name, date of birth, address, and driver’s license number, to ten different companies.

The companies are Acxiom Information Securities Service, Inc., Choice Point, E-Funds, Explore Information Services, LexisNexis, Line Barge, Goggan, Blair, & Simpson, Inc., SC Services, ShadowSoft, TLO LLC, and West Services Inc.

What could possibly go wrong?

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Epic Fail and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    It’s not a surprise that a state would, in effect, abet identity theft. Neither is a judge declaring the practice legal (though said judge would probably flip out if his personal information got into the wrong hands).

    No, what’s surprising is that Florida negotiated such a lousy deal with the parasitic corporations. $63 million a year is chump change.

    Ashby, your rhetorical question echoes the tagline for a movie from my youth:

    “… Where nothing can possibly go worng!”

      You have to pay for your tax cuts somehow.

    • http://profiles.google.com/sam.geese Sam Geese

      “In space no one can hear you scream”

  • http://twitter.com/Varuka Varuka Salt

    Is there any way to stop this? A class action suit or some other action by the citizens?

    • JMAshby

      There was lawsuit over it, and the judge ruled that the actions of the state were legal.

  • nellcote

    So in order to vote one is forced to give their personal information to these private companies. Nice.

      Does the State of Florida require a Driver’s License to vote? I know a lot of other states have that law or are trying to pass it now (in an effort to disenfranchise voters who are more likely to vote Democratic). However, I don’t remember if Florida was one of them (I lived there about 20 years ago).

      • http://twitter.com/Dhraga Mark Whitaker

        No state requires a drivers license… it is a “drivers license or other state issued identification”

          Okay, what other type of state issued ID is there? Seriously, do states really give out anything besides drivers licenses? Anything with photos and/or anything that requires current address?

          • 3bettins

            yes, most states have ID’s that look just like drivers licences for those non-drivers

    LexisNexis and Choice Point have been buying this kind of information for many years. Law Enforcement, law firms, private investigators, etc. buy access to these databases in order to do background checks on people. Like it or not, these things are used for both legitimate and illegitimate purposes. I would hazard to guess that Floridians didn’t know their info would be sold (even though it was in tiny, tiny little text on some obscure form somewhere) or they don’t have a choice. How do you live without driving living in Florida? Their bus systems suck and that’s the only form of public transportation they’ve got. So you can”t work and have a family easily without a car.