The Supreme Wal-Mart Greeters

Artist – RJ Matson

In other news, after much grand-standing and noise making over our involvement in Libya for the last several weeks, it appears as though Congress is going to officially approve of our continued involvement in a logistical support role. John Boehner is expected to hold votes on two bills authored by John Kerry and John McCain.

Tonight — President Obama announces his decision for the pace of withdrawal from Afghanistan. It is expected he will announce that 10,000 troops will come home by the end of this year, with another 23,000 to follow by this time next year. Commanders in Afghanistan have advocated a much slower withdrawal, with only 4,000 troops returning home this year. Expect pundits on both the far-left and far-right to attack the decision.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Open Thread and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • i_a_c

    Okay, so 33,000 troops, one third of the current commitment, will come home in a year, and the remaining two-thirds will be withdrawn in the following two years, with the end of the conflict coming in 2014. That’s about one-third of the troops per year.

    2014 seems like a long way away, but I don’t think this is a bad deal, particularly since Hillary Clinton and Bob Gates went along with this withdrawal plan reluctantly.

      Logistically speaking it is a fast withdrawal especially considering the kind of vacuum that will have to filled by the Afghanis. I would like for them to all come home at once but I know that can’t happen. I’m a liberal in my heart but a pragmatist in reality. ;)

      • The_Dork_Knight

        I wish that could be faster, but trust President Obama’s judgement on this. And who knows, if it goes well at the start, perhaps we can speed it up.

      • i_a_c

        Seconded. It’s not practical for all the troops to come home now. I can just be glad that we’re finally winding this down, much to the chagrin of Hundred Years McCain.

    Speaking of pundits on both sides attacking him, what else is new? This President is damned if does and damned if he doesn’t.

    • JMAshby

      Yes. I am choosing not to watch them tonight. They can all kiss my ass.

      • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_7VZNIFV5UXBX5LETCRH34M5HG4 Staci Bass

        x2

        • i_a_c

          X3!

      • mrbrink

        I’m not prepared to allow trillions of dollars worth of minerals, gas, and oil to be used by the Taliban as they see fit in a failed state power vacuum like Afghanistan.

        As far as I’m concerned, keeping the world safe from terrorists means keeping trillions of dollars worth of leverage out of their hands in a region demonstrating that the power of bottom up democracy is on the march.

        That’s pragmatism, and something you won’t hear from any Weiner-pivoting beltway panel tonight.

        This is the real world as it is today. As it is after decades of right wing meddling, democratic suppression, and proxy war profiteering.

        But I’ll ask the absolutist knee-jerkers, political opportunists, and the over-opinionated/under informed barstool generals if they are prepared to leave trillions of dollars worth of mayhem-making resources in the hands of the Taliban, or Al Qaeda, in a failed state?

        “I don’t care, we can’t afford it, warmonger!” will not qualify as a retort.

        This is global chess, and I don’t like it, but my feelings aren’t more important than keeping a boot on the throats of religious fanatics trying to hold the world hostage.

        This is more of a general statement, rather than a specific reply to you, Ashby.

        I’ve heard a lot of verbal eye rolling today over the president’s announcement, left and right, and I’m unconvinced that they are being honest with themselves and their blogger-constituents when they deride the president’s draw down plan as something other than reasonable.

  • The_Dork_Knight

    Can I just say that anyone who has not been reading Bendis’s Ultimate Spiderman series is a dumb dumby. :0) I just finished issue 160… I didn’t cry. What? I didn’t.. I swear….

  • mrbrink

    Clarence Thomas is only wearing eight pieces of flair!

    I’m not sure he’s an American-justice-of-the-free-world material. He just doesn’t seem to be expressing himself sufficiently and I’m not sure he really likes working here.