The Way We Like It

Artist – Bob Englehart

In other news, Republican presidential candidate Tim Pawlenty decided to join the ranks of climate change deniers today by saying the “science is bad,” and the Republican-controlled state house of Ohio passed a bill which would ban abortions after only six to seven weeks.

The culture warriors are itching for a Supreme Court battle.

    The culture warriors are itching for a Supreme Court battle.

    I can’t say I blame them. Right now, I make four firm votes to overturn Roe outright (Scalia, Thomas, Alito, Roberts), two if-the-facts-of-the-case-warrant votes for further restrictions on abortion (Kennedy, Breyer), and three votes for the status quo (Ginsburg, Sotomayor, Kagan). Those are numbers to make a fetus fetishist [feel] swoon.

    –alopecia

    EDITED because the superfluous word was driving me mad.

      Agreed. We will be extremely lucky if Roe is not overturned in the next 5 years.

    • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_JCQM2DJPMD4YKMO6XZJJEXZMNU Yeephhoo Yeep

      ★good★

      look love— w w w – jordansforking – c o m

      believe you will love it.

      love good go.

    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1655290390 Steven Skelton

      Roe isn’t going to be overturned, but if it was it probably be the best thing that could happen for abortion access.

      An honest assessment of polling on the subject leads to the conclusion that the people (as a whole) want abortion to be accessible…but not easily accessible. As long as Roe is in place, there is no conflict about the former, only the latter.

      As long as the pro-choice side is fighting battles about fetal heartbeats and parental consent…they lose. With Roe out of the way, the fight will be about legality…and pro choice side will win that fight.

      • muselet

        I have to disagree. I don’t think I was overly cynical last night with my Supreme Court vote count, and if a case comes along that pushes Kennedy’s buttons just right, Roe is declared to have been “wrongly decided.”

        More specifically to your point, public-opinion polling doesn’t tell the whole story. The American people are mildly pro-choice but are also easily squicked, so it’s easy to convince them to accept “common-sense” restrictions that effectively make abortion unavailable. The American people are also, as a whole, deeply uninterested in policy (or politics or current events) and so it’s easy for them to avoid knowing about the latest assaults on abortion rights. The fetus fetishists don’t care about polling, don’t care about current events, don’t care particularly about politics, but care passionately about one very specific policy area, so they will continue to push culturally-conservative politicians for ever more draconian restrictions on abortion rights in the short term, and for ever more culturally-conservative judges in the long term to uphold those restrictions.

        If Roe gets overturned, the fetus fetishists and their pet politicians ban abortion in every state where they can, work hard for a national ban, and pay no attention at all to any objections.

        Remember, too, the fetus fetishists don’t just want Roe v. Wade overturned, they want Griswold v. Connecticut overturned, and by my count, two or maybe three of the current Supremes would cheerfully vote to overturn Griswold, and a couple of others could be convinced.

        Other people have expressed the same opinion as you (Roe being overturned is no big deal, the argument about legality is winnable), but I find it telling that very few women seem to take that position. I don’t want any of my constitutionally-protected rights taken away on the whim of a lunatic few on the theory (actually, untested hypothesis, a/k/a wild-ass guess) that those rights will be more strongly supported afterward; I don’t want that to happen to women, either, and neither, I’m willing to bet, do you.

        As an intellectual exercise, a late-night dorm-room bull-session topic, the potential upside of the overturning of Roe is interesting. I just don’t think things would work out so well in the real world.

        –alopecia

        • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1655290390 Steven Skelton

          Thank you for your comment.

    The thought of this new law in Ohio makes me ill. I had a miscarriage in week 7 but I knew in week 6 the baby probably wasn’t viable because my hormone levels were increasing as they should. If the baby had managed to make it beyond that point, it would have been horribly deformed because it had an obvious genetic problem. To live in a state where I would have been forced to carry to term or suffer through a harsher natural miscarriage that could put me in danger…..I can’t imagine. This kind of thing is the perfect example of unacceptable tyranny.

      We will be back to coat hangers if the hypocritical anti-choicers have their way.

        That’s what I fear as well.

    • The_Dork_Knight

      I’m sorry to hear that IG…

        Thanks, TDK. The women of Ohio shouldn’t have to worry about this kind of govt overreach. It is infuriating.

  • The_Dork_Knight

    Because revisting this gave me a much need laugh:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb_qHP7VaZE

    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1655290390 Steven Skelton

      Thanks for the link. One of my favorite scenes.

  • mrbrink

    Everyone knows the Founders intended for the multinational East India Company to take their producers’ tea tax cuts and use it to buy off American elections and justice.

    Histories!