Worst Person in the World

Tracy Morgan for this:

“If my son were gay he better come home and talk to me like a man and not [like a homosexual--Morgan mimicked a feminine voice] or I’d pull out a knife and stab that little N***** to death.”

Asshole. Of course he’s allowed to say whatever he wants. Likewise, I’m allowed to call him an asshole who I’ve never thought was the slightest bit funny.

The other Worst Person is the reporter who decided to redact exactly what Morgan said using that ridiculous bracketed phrase above. If someone says something offensive, I want to know exactly what it was regardless of how offensive the word usage might be. We’re not children. Print the whole goddamn thing.

AND… I’d like to include The Best Person in the World category here for Tina Fey, who replied to Morgan’s awfulness with this:

“The violent imagery of Tracy’s rant was disturbing to me at a time when homophobic hate crimes continue to be a life-threatening issue for the GLBT Community. It also doesn’t line up with the Tracy Morgan I know, who is not a hateful man and is generally much too sleepy and self-centered to ever hurt another person. I hope for his sake that Tracy’s apology will be accepted as sincere by his gay and lesbian co-workers at ’30 Rock’, without whom Tracy would not have lines to say, clothes to wear, sets to stand on, scene partners to act with, or a printed-out paycheck from accounting to put in his pocket.”

Genius on so many levels.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Civil liberties and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://www.broadwaycarl.com Broadway Carl

    Bob, I agree with you 100%. But this struck me as strange:

    “The [Human Rights Council] is refusing to accept Morgan’s apology. ‘Tracy Morgan exercised extremely poor judgment and he did the right thing by apologizing. But that’s just not enough. He’s a role model and Morgan now has a responsibility to make amends for his horribly hurtful and dangerous ‘comedy’ routine.’”

    Ok, so they’re not accepting Morgan’s apology, think he’s a role model and his comedy routine is “dangerous”? Seriously? Have they ever seen his act? He’s the king of crassness, how is that role model material? And he “did the right thing by apologizing” but they’re not accepting it anyway? What do they suggest he do?

    “He also needs to go further than his apology and correct the record: no one should feel ashamed because they are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender and they should definitely not become a victim of violence.”

    I know this might be splitting hairs, but I thought this line from his statement covered that: “I’m not a hateful person and don’t condone any kind of violence against others.”

    • incredulous72

      I’ve got to ask; who exactly looks to Tracy Morgan as a role model?

    • caribbeanobserver

      I wish they had the same sort of protest feelings about blacks and minorites who are castigated every damn day by all and sundry, as they do about the LGBT community!

  • incredulous72

    Bob,

    I agree that Tracy is an asshole, and should be flogged for what he said. His ‘act’ is not really an ‘act’ after all it seems. However, I’ve found a bigger asshole than Tracy.

    Fat Jesus just introduced a ‘pilot’ project to privatize New Jersey public schools.

  • Corebela

    Wow I used to like him but now definitely not. No apology can prove to me that he does not really feel that way. Whether he is gay or not I feel bad for his son. I’m just glad I can still go on being an even bigger fan of Tina Fey for her great words against that mother fucker.

    well, I’m wavering between agreement with you and with Chez. He also has a good piece up on this topic.
    http://www.deusexmalcontent.com/2011/06/painfully-dumb-quote-of-day.html

    ~ Join Our Facebook Support Page for Anthony Weiner

  • amaraya

    Quick note – I may be wrong, but I understood, based on the eyewitness’s account, that the bracketed part above was just Morgan using that voice but speaking jibberish – like there weren’t any words to report but they’re trying to convey what he was doing. I don’t know that the reporter actually omitted anything.

  • http://www.facebook.com/nfitz10 Nora Fitzpatrick Stephens

    Awesome. Tina’s response is so cool. I hadn’t seen that before. Sharing with my friends on FB. As always… this is the best blog on the web. Thanks.

  • http://www.facebook.com/people/Jacob-McDonald/100001381487054 Jacob McDonald

    There is always irony in incidents like these. Tracy Morgan’s comment isn’t anti-homosexuality at all. It’s anti-effeminacy, a kind of misogyny. He’s saying he’d accept a masculine homosexual son but not an effeminate one. That’s not homophobic. Equating “effeminacy” with “homosexuality” is actually homophobic. Most effeminate guys may be homosexual, and most masculine guys may be heterosexual; but sexual orientation and gender–masculinity and femininity–are independent.

    The stuff in brackets is especially bigoted. Does it really make any sense that Tracy Morgan would say, “If my son were [homosexual] he better come home and talk to me like a man and not [like a homosexual]“? That’s nonsensical.

    Instead, he actually says, “If my son were [homosexual] he better come home and talk to me like a man and not [like a femme].” This statement expresses tolerance for homosexuality, but hostility toward effeminacy. Whoever supplied the bracketed parenthesis must think all homosexual men are effeminate. Effeminacy is not the same as homosexuality. Who but bigots think otherwise?

    And that’s the irony: You’d have be biased against homosexuals to read Tracy Morgan’s comment as biased against homosexuals. His bias is misogyny, not homophobia.