Monthly Archives: July 2011

Summer Fundraiser, Day One

Here we go! Our quarterly fundraiser begins tonight. If you dig what we’re offering up here by way of written and spoken-word political blogotubing, feel free to contribute some folding money to the proceedings. Your contributions help us to keep … Continue reading

Posted in Fundraiser | Tagged | 1 Comment

A Little Teapot

Artist – Monte Wolverton In other news, the EPA has proposed new regulations on the “smog-forming pollutants” released by the gas-drilling procedure known as Fracking. Also — this happened.

Posted in Open Thread | Tagged , , , , | 10 Comments

Your Hair Is Not On Fire

According to numerous reports, President Obama, the Democrats, and Republican leadership have reached a tentative framework for what the final debt-ceiling deal will look like. There’s so much spin flying around right now on both ends of the spectrum, I … Continue reading

Posted in Economy, Uncategorized | Tagged , , , , , | 30 Comments

Chart of the Day

Debt ceiling increases by president. Why did Ronald Reagan hate America? I still can’t believe the Republicans are getting away with this reckless nonsense.

Posted in Economy | Tagged , , , , | 17 Comments

Neither Plan Will Save Our Credit Rating

Moody’s isn’t very hopeful, and we could be totally screwed. The “limited magnitude” of both debt plans put forward by congressional leaders would not put the nation’s AAA credit rating back on solid footing, Moody’s Investors Service announced Friday. “Reductions … Continue reading

Posted in Economy | Tagged , , , , | 16 Comments

Morning Awesome

30 Seconds To Mars – “A Beautiful Lie”

Posted in Morning Awesome | Tagged , | Leave a comment

No Brains

Artist – RJ Matson In other news, no one has any idea what is going on in Washington right now. John Boehner has left the capitol for the night, and Mitch McConnell is filibustering Harry Reid’s bill.

Posted in Open Thread | Tagged , , , , | 15 Comments

Video of the Day

via ThinkProgress Again — George Bush raised the debt ceiling seven times while doubling the national debt. Ronald Reagan raised the debt ceiling eighteen times while tripling the national debt. 98 of the Republicans currently occupying of the House of … Continue reading

Posted in Epic Fail | Tagged , , , , | 10 Comments

As Predicted, The House Rejects Reid Plan

They decided to take it up as a “suspension vote” to prove it won’t pass. WASHINGTON — With just three days left until the country is set to begin defaulting on its debt, the House rejected a debt proposal by … Continue reading

Posted in Economy | Tagged , , , | 7 Comments

Good News, But We're Already Screwed

The Obama administration has set some excellent goals for CAFE standards. Excellent, that is, when compared with where auto emissions goals had previously been set. After months of hand-wringing by industry lobbies and environmental groups, President Obama announced the new … Continue reading

Posted in Environment | Tagged , , | 3 Comments

Whatever Reid Passes Will Be Irrelevant

A conservative Republican named John Boehner — the Speaker of the House — could barely blitz a deal through the tea party blockade and their Republican hostages in the House. What kind of bill from Harry Reid, the mealy swishy … Continue reading

Posted in Economy | Tagged , , , , , | 12 Comments

China Should Just Invade Us

I’m not so sure it’s a good idea for China to perceive us (correctly) as a gaggle of irresponsible children playing with explosives. America’s largest foreign creditor, China, has repeatedly urged Washington to protect its dollar investments and its state-run … Continue reading

Posted in Economy | Tagged , , , | 2 Comments

Morning Awesome

MST3K Saturday – “Soultaker”

Posted in Morning Awesome | Tagged , | 1 Comment

The Bubble Genius Bob & Chez Show, 7/29/11

One Flew Over the Debt Ceiling; The Madness of the Debt Negotiations; Boehnerville; John McCain and the Tea Party Hobbits; John McCain Created the Tea Party; Republican Violent Rhetoric and Right-Wing Extremism; Paul Broun Wants to Bend the Laws of … Continue reading

Posted in Bob and Elvis Show | Tagged , , | 14 Comments

Crazy Glue

Artist – Adam Zyglis In other news, John Boehner’s fantasy debt-ceiling bill, which was re-written twice, has finally passed the House so it can now die in the Senate. Way to go! What’s everyone drinking tonight?

Posted in Open Thread | Tagged , , , , | 31 Comments

Sabotage Continued

Ontop of the news that investors pulled more money out of mutual funds invested in U.S. government securities last week than in any previous week this year, we have this: (Reuters) – Stocks ended the worst week in a year … Continue reading

Posted in Economy | Tagged , , , | 8 Comments

Republican Sabotage Is Taking Its Toll

According to Bloomberg, investors pulled more money out of mutual funds invested in U.S. government securities last week than in any previous week this year. Investors last week pulled more money from money-market mutual funds than any week this year … Continue reading

Posted in Economy | Tagged , , , , | 18 Comments

Chart of the Day

Who’s responsible for the deficit? But pointing out these facts is considered to be Bush Derangement Syndrome, so never mind. (via Joy)

Posted in Economy | Tagged , , , , | 4 Comments

Fox News Anchor is Really Effing Stupid

Here we see a Fox News Anchor asking Bill Nye the Science Guy whether or not the newly discovered volcanoes on the Moon somehow disproves the existence of global warming. I’m shocked this anchor didn’t ask if the Moon was … Continue reading

Posted in Environment | Tagged , , , , , , | 12 Comments

Shit Sandwich

There’s nothing good about the Boehner plan falling apart. Make no mistake, it sucked and the Senate would have killed it, and, if they wouldn’t have killed it, the president would’ve vetoed it. Nevertheless, nothing else coming out of the … Continue reading

Posted in Economy | Tagged , , , | 37 Comments