Aggressively Wrong and Stupid

It’s difficult to quantify how remarkably wrong this is:

As the stalemate over the debt ceiling has demonstrated, it is impossible to strike compromise when the negotiating parties do not agree on what counts as a concession. [Yesterday], freshman Rep. Mo Brooks (R-AL) showed yet again why the Republican Party’s perverse concept of compromise has left the U.S. on the brink of default.

During an interview with MSNBC’s Contessa Brewer, Brooks insisted that Republicans have already compromised with President Obama by agreeing to raise the debt ceiling in exchange for a laundry list of right-wing policies, including an amendment to the Constitution. “Why should we give Barack Obama $2.4 trillion? It’s his debt,” Brooks said. “It’s his debt ceiling.”

This is beyond stupid and if anyone believes this to be true, they ought to be summarily committed to a mental institution. The National Debt has been steadily increasing for decades. The Bush administration alone doubled it. The debt ceiling, under Bush, was raised seven times — five times with the collective support of Cantor, Boehner and McConnell.

But here’s an equally alarming thing to consider. You need to pass a test to become a citizen. You need to pass a test to drive a fucking car or to benefit from higher education. But any slawjawed shit-kicker with a pulse and questionably intact gray matter can become a member of Congress.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Economy and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • SharksBreath

    Could you imagine what the press would say if we started calling them traitors.

    You know. Like they did when they were lying us into Iraq if you didn’t support the genius chosen by God.

    Just imagine if Obama brought up the fact we are still fighting the two wars they started and they are putting the “Troops at Risk”.

    All this debt they are crying about is their fu*&ng debt.

    One thing is for sure. Republicans have no shame.

    • http://twitter.com/bphoon Brian C

      I thought it was unAmerican to criticize the President during time of war, that criticism of the President during time of war actively aided and abetted the enemy. At least that’s what we were told in 2002-2003…did I miss something somewhere along the way to now?

      • vgranucci

        did I miss something somewhere along the way to now?

        Yes, a Democrat is now in the White House.

    The Rethugs that say crap like this drive me crazy! You’re not giving pres. O anything…you’re taking care of OUR country…you know the you and me together as citizens of this country that own this debt…meaning its not HIS anything but OURS. Assswipes and douchenozzles, all of them.

    • Scopedog

      Well, I agree, IrishGrrrl, but between reading about the Repub stupidity and the absolute bats**t insanity some on the Left display–see any comment sections at Raw Story articles about President Obama–I really have to fight the urge to either 1) punch my fist through my monitor or 2) go out and get drunk.

      So I end up doing 3): playing some CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE. Helps a lot.

        Funny you should mention the crazy left because I was thinking of them too when I posted my comment. I play call of duty too….putting a fake bullet between someone’s eyes does seem to help. Sad but true.

  • muselet

    BREWER: Why do you lay all of that debt at the feet of President Obama when it’s clear that the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan added to the nation’s debt?

    BROOKS: It did, and he’s the commander in chief and he could have removed our troops from Iraq and Afghanistan at any given time if he had so chosen.

    In Mo Brooks’s feeble understanding of reality, the United States has been fighting in two (mostly-unfunded) wars since 2003 and 2001, respectively, because of Barack Obama (who wasn’t elected to the US Senate until 2004). And that President Obama could have ended those two wars single-handedly and without interference from the Republican “Kill Them All” Caucus.

    Will someone please buy Rep. Brooks a calendar? And a few functioning brain cells?

    –alopecia

    • http://twitter.com/bphoon Brian C

      He’s beyond help, imho…there just isn’t enough money, anywhere.

    • Scopedog

      “Will someone please buy Rep. Brooks a calendar? And a few functioning brain cells?”

      Funny thing is, someone should send those same items to HuffPo, Daily Kos, Raw Story, Smirking Chimp, Glenn Greenwald, Joan Walsh, Adam Green….

      Just saying….

  • Dan_in_DE

    unhinged.

    • Scopedog

      Agreed.

  • Scopedog

    “You need to pass a test to become a citizen. You need to pass a test to drive a fucking car or to benefit from higher education. But any slawjawed shit-kicker with a pulse and questionably intact gray matter can become a member of Congress.”

    This.

    Having done all three previous tests, it’s unbelievably tough. But the fact that the latter can happen so easily….yeesh.

    And “any slawjawed shit-kicker with a pulse and questionably intact gray matter” can also put up a heaping pile of bully-bull on the Internet.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    Ugh; Jeebus Fleebing Cripes.

    Something we collective­ly need to understand­, and that we need to keep saying, especially to those of us who continually insist upon using “Obama” as the subject of any sentence whose operative verb is “spend.”

    The President cannot spend dime one of federal money. Neither can he cut dime one of federal spending. Presidents do not spend. They may ask Congress to spend, or to cut spending, and Congress may or may not oblige. They may ask Congress to pass this or that law, or enact this or that policy, and Congress will then sort out how to do it, and how pay for it. Or they won’t. But Presidents don’t sign checks. They can’t, and don’t, order or require the federal government to spend anything.

    The government spends what it is authorized­/required to spend by THE LAW, not the President. And by “the law” I mean the law in its entirety, meaning every law on the books, not just laws that have been passed this year, or during the current administra­tion, or by the current Congress.

    Presidents do not spend. The government spends, and it spends what the law authorizes and requires it to spend, and not a dime more or less. The law, not the President. To say that “Obama spent X” (or that “Bush spent Y”) is simply false. And I’m sick to death of hearing and reading that “Obama spent” this or “Obama is spending” that when it’s not only false, but impossible.

    • incredulous72

      Bravo Graf!

      And I’d just like to add;

      Who makes the law? CONGRESS!

      so, what, you expect right-wingers to actually understand the Constitution?

  • mrbrink

    Alabama gets more money back from the federal government than what they pay in taxes. I think it’s something like $1.66 back for every $1 paid.

    In other words, president Obama’s debt.

    It’s estimated that Alabama took $3.57 billion in Recovery Act funding.

    Pay up! or the federal government will immediately freeze your accounts and crash your local economy and plunge your government into years of economic darkness if you don’t immediately raise taxes on the wealthy and give out free abortions with every gun arrest!

    Fight crazy with crazy?

    It won’t be like the Blue v. Grey…but there’s a reckoning a’comin’.
    This shit cannot go on: the stupid versus the aware; the willfully blind versus the insistently attentive; the dogmatic versus the rational. It is simply not sustainable…and it must end ugly.
    But I want one thing clearly understood – it ain’t MY fault.

  • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

    Yep, that’s my congressman. Mo Brooks represents Alabama’s 5th congressional district. My favorite story from his campaign is how he bragged endlessly about the $3/month garbage fee hike that he’d whittled down to fifty cents as a county commissioner. If you’d like to see the hoopleheads of West Lauderdale County encouraging him to default, click here.