As Big Of A Target As Anyone

A new survey released by the Pew Research Center shows that Democrats are losing ground among white voters, particularly among poor white voters, while gaining ground with other demographic groups.

(Reuters) – The Republican Party has made big gains among white voters, particularly younger and poorer ones, since Democrat Barack Obama was elected president in 2008, according to a survey released on Friday.

Fifty-two percent of white voters identified themselves as Republicans compared with 39 percent who called themselves Democrats in the survey by the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press. The rest said they were independents.

In 2008, 46 percent of white voters said they were Republicans versus 44 percent for Democrats. […]

There was a big shift among whites making less then $30,000 per year, a group Christian said had favored Hillary Clinton early in the 2008 Democratic presidential primary fight, and so might be less strongly in favor of Obama.

Though I remain skeptical, the Pew Research study found no concrete connection between the skin color of the president and the Republican’s recent gains among white voters, so the only other explanation I can come up with is pure ignorance.

White voters, and poor white voters in particular, have just as much to lose as anyone if the Republicans have their way. Nearly every item of legislation passed by the Republican-controlled House this year would hit poor voters harder than anyone if ever signed into law.

The only thing that unites the Republican party more than their contempt for minorities is their contempt for the poor. This makes you, poor white voters, as big of a target as anyone.

Fortunately, Republicans have also lost a lot of ground among Hispanics. Only 22% of Hispanics now identify themselves as Republican.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Elections and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

    Gee, Bob, do you think the race-infused politics of Glenn Beckery had ANYTHING to do with those numbers? Why, yes it did — and we can see it in the suburban voting/econ stats. The recession (a) hit suburbs especially hard (b) threatened their sense of white privilege while an African-American president was in his first term. All of that dovetails nicely with a Southern Strategy campaign of fear and loathing — “Obama hates white people!” — but remember, the tea party has NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO WITH RACE.

    • JMAshby

      Is my writing style really that close to his? I don’t think it is.

      But on topic – Yes.

      • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

        Whoops. That’s what I get for commenting on my third beer.

      • mrbrink

        I consider your writing style to be consistent with the style and integrity of the blog in general.

        I also think there’s nobody better at fresh topical composition and clean summation working within the body of the evolving narrative.

        You compliment the blog’s dramedy tone very well.

        Bob’s lucky to have someone like you throwing down with such coherent tenacity.

        I enjoy everyday.

        • JMAshby

          Thank you kind sir.

  • trgahan

    History will record the rights creation of a powerful voting base that consistently undercut itself in the name of putting people who don’t have their interests at heart as greatest achievement political in modern democracy.
    My own generation, raised in a privileged world of middle class white America and college educated, seem to have shifted Libertarian as they get a few years in the work place because they increasing believe if only government would get “out of the way” and stop coddling the disadvantaged…they’d be millionaires.

    • dildenusa

      “History will record the rights creation of a powerful voting base that consistently undercut itself in the name of putting people who don’t have their interests at heart as greatest achievement political in modern democracy.”

      All those laid off republicans making $30 thousand a year don’t see it quite that way. The way they see it, the “limousine liberals” look down their nose at them and their life style. I hate to use a cliched term but it comes back to the culture wars.

      The dirty little secret that our political leaders of both parties aren’t telling us that full employment at 95% or more is a thing of the past and will never return in my lifetime or the lifetime of our great grandchildren. The platitudes we hear from the fundies and extremists on the right simply feeds a growing anger and resentment that the republican party created and now has a tiger by the tail. It’s obvious in the debt ceiling “debate” that the republicans are attempting to tie the presidents hands with a “devil’s bargain.” This kind of “one upmanship” is very dangerous to prosperity. Eventually the culture war paradigm will fail and the fundies and extremists of the right will be cast off like a dog shakes off fleas.

  • Chachizel

    Great post Ashby. Well said trgahan.

  • goscots

    Glancing over the article, I don’t see the white vote separated by region, or more to the point, how the South is affecting the overall results. It really doesn’t accomplish anything, particularly when thinking about a national election (2012), to look at nation-wide polls. The South is quickly becoming another country (maybe not quickly enough). I have a feeling that the white voter numbers everywhere else in the country are pretty close to where they were two years ago. These numbers also don’t match up with Obama’s overall favorability ratings, which I believe top 70%

  • mrbrink

    The layman white vote is influenced by other white voters of the loud and visibly angry variety.

    It’s amazing though how they can make their racism sound as if it had something to do with policy.

    Adding, “defaulting on the American government’s debt is fiscal conservatism!”

  • http://www.facebook.com/blackdogsailing Scott Thomas

    One reason might be that poor white voters might also be a demographic that is relatively under-educated and/or pre-occupied with putting food on the table, or with sports, and therefore not disposed to critical thinking or fact-finding.
    The republicans seem to understand this, and perpetuate their existence by starving public education, by driving down wages, etc.
    The racism of the republican party is not lost on the non-whites in this country as polls suggest.
    The race is on: will the growing non-white population outpace the growing ignorant white population?