As Predicted, The House Rejects Reid Plan

They decided to take it up as a “suspension vote” to prove it won’t pass.

WASHINGTON — With just three days left until the country is set to begin defaulting on its debt, the House rejected a debt proposal by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) on Saturday — a move Republicans designed purely for theatrics to show the bill lacked the votes to pass.

The bill was rejected by a vote of 173 to 246. Eleven Democrats joined all of the House Republicans in opposing Reid’s bill. The defecting Democrats included Reps. John Barrow (Ga.), Dan Boren (Okla.), Bruce Braley (Iowa), David Loebsack (Iowa), Jim Matheson (Utah), Mike McIntyre (N.C.), Collin Peterson (Minn.), Mike Ross (Ark.), Kurt Schrader (Ore.), Peter Visclosky (Ind.) and David Wu (Ore.).

What the hell kind of deal will pass both the House, the Senate and the White House at this point? None shall pass.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Economy and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • niko tomlinson

    has anyone talked about kicking it old school and maybe just putting up a debt ceiling rise with nothing attached? i know…sound completely crazy.

  • Byproxy73

    I know Obama has said he won’t do it, but maybe it’s time for him to start thinking about invoking the 14th Amendment. It’s got to get done; better without the Rethugs at all than to have them objecting every step of the way.

  • muselet

    None shall pass.

    Monty Python and the Holy Grail reference or Aesop Rock reference?

    –alopecia

    • peonyharp

      I vote for the Black Knight — although the Knights who say “Ni” are still my favorite from Holy Grail. “Those who hear them seldom live to tell the tale!”

      What have the Romans ever done for us?!

      All right… all right… but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order… what have the Romans done for us?

  • exoevolution

    The Corporate Ayn Randian rule by, of and for the top 1% political game MUST collapse. It is unsustainable and “immoral”!

    Obama is president, because of Lincoln, because of King.

    Obama the “negotiator”, with the “plantation owners”, Corporate America, is beyond obscene.

    Corporate Greed and Corporate Wars are killing America’s democratic soul. Just like Slavery and Jim Crow were once America’s soul killing “sins”.

    What would Lincoln say?

    What would King say?

    Obama can steady the tiller of Corporate Empire, or like Lincoln and King, free the slaves, We the People!

    There is no “middle ground”, no “grand bargain”.

    Either people are slaves or people are free.

    Wall Street Corporate Greed, Pentagon Perpetual Corporate Wars, Corporate Owned Media spewing lies and fear, Corporate Owned Politicians doing their Corporate Masters bidding, this Corporate Tyranny MUST end.

    President Obama, can you hear Lincoln, can you hear King?

    President Obama, I pray that you can.