Chart of the Day

Grownups versus children. Grownups negotiate and reach mutually equitable compromises. Children stomp and hold their breath and throw tantrums until they get exactly what they want. Via Kevin Drum:

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Wingnuts and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • jjasonham

    This is why the Republican electorate is shrinking very quickly. We are no longer in the “ideological” cycle of voting (it’ll come back in a couple of generations) and the people that put a premium on that are literally dying out.

  • dildenusa

    From Wikipedia.
    “Although the number of self-identified independents has fallen slightly in the 1990s and 2000s, about 30 percent of American voters still say they are independents (as measured by self-identification).”

    I’ll go out on a limb and say that half of independent voters will vote democratic most of the time. So this chart reflects not just numbers but voter sentiments. I’ll also go out on a limb and say that the republican base is no longer shrinking but isn’t growing either. Also as America becomes a “minority majority” nation more minorities will vote democratic and become more independent.

    The idea that one negotiates a comprimise is a normal part of human nature. However, the “my way or the highway” idea has become learned behavior in our society mostly by a small narcissitic minority. The problem is that many people in this group strive for political power not to improve the human condition but simply for the sake of political power.

  • Senrab Drashir

    And by “via Kevin Drum” you mean via YouGov (see “http://today.yougov.com/news/2011/07/08/77-agree-defaulting-debt-would-be-serious-economy-/”). Back-tracing one’s sources is an important part of intelligent, conscientious commentating. I hope you’ll do better in the future.