Jim DeMint: I’m Willing To Cause Serious Disruption

Senator Jim DeMint of South Carolina appeared on Fox Business last night with potential Glenn Beck replacement Judge Napolitano and claimed that he is willing to cause serious harm to the economy to achieve his goal of not raising the debt ceiling.

Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) said last night during an appearance on the conservative Fox Business channel that he is “willing” to cause “serious disruptions” to the U.S. economy in order to maintain the nation’s debt limit.

“The reason the president hasn’t addressed the issue even though we knew it was facing us, and this is the fourth time he’s asked for an increase in the debt limit, he has been burning time — that’s what Biden was supposed to do is get the Republicans behind closed doors — is burn the clock up until we have a crisis,” he told Judge Napolitano, Fox Business’s libertarian host.

“So now we’re at the point where there would have to be some serious disruptions in order not to raise it. I’m willing to do that, I just don’t think we can find enough of Republicans and Democrats to say it’s time to stop spending.”

These are the kind of lunatics President Obama and Vice President Joe Biden are being forced to deal with right now.

They simply do not care what happens to the peons and the peasants. They do not care what happens to America.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Economy and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Jesse Ruth

    Yeah, we’re all aware of the fact that Republicans suck. That said, I’ve been patiently waiting all day to see how you defend the President when all signs point to caving. I’m not one of these people that will sit out the next election, but my unenthusiastic vote is all he’s getting. What a horrible disappointment. And don’t give me the whole “worse than Bush” rejoinder either. He’s obviously not worse than Bush. But he’s not the candidate I thought I voted for.

    • Alex0001

      Brace yourself, you’re about to be torn into.

      • ranger11

        Ahh, the poor dear! We must protect our whiny ass titty babies. It says so in the “progressive” constitution.

        • Jesse Ruth

          Damn. Talk about a buzzkill.

        um, ya know, political blogs are known for heated discussion. And ya know what they say about the kitchen and the heat and all that………..

        • Jesse Ruth

          Yes. I just reserve most of my heat for those on the right. I’m an uber lefty, but that doesn’t mean I’m a hater. :)

            Well, most of us here consider ourselves to be “uber left”; we just disagree with the opportunistic Firebaggers take on Obama. That’s where the heat comes in. :-)

          • Robert Scalzi

            No YOU ARE A FUCKING TRAITOR

      edit – sorry, I misread you

    • JMAshby

      We don’t know what the eventual deal, if there even is one, is going to look like, and spokesman Jay Carney already denied the rumor mongering reported in the Washington Post today. The republicans were absolutely swindled the last time we had a “deal” so I’ll wait and see.

      And if you’re expecting me to attack the president based on some rumor while the Republicans are the true enemy here, don’t hold your breath.

      And that last sentence is your problem to deal with.

      • Jesse Ruth

        Am I the only one who thinks that candidate Obama misrepresented himself? Also, I realize it’s sort of a rumor. That’s why I said all signs point to caving. Besides, I’m getting uncomfortably used to the caving…I expect it. I wish he’d just realize he’s not able to fight the fight he said he’d fight and pull a Lyndon Johnson (I shall not seek, and I will not accept, the nomination of my party for another term as your President.). As much as it pains me to say it, Hillary was right when she said he was all lofty rhetoric and not much substance.

        • incredulous72

          Would you be kind enough to supply examples of “not much substance” and “misrepresentation”? I’m at a loss as to what you’re referring to.

          all signs point to caving

          Really? What signs specifically does “all” refer to? And, are statements from Republicans always taken as actually truthful by you?

          Please………..

          illary was right when she said he was all lofty rhetoric and not much substance.

          Uh huh. Then how has he managed to accomplish so much with incredibly difficult, sonorous, opposition from BOTH sides?

          http://whatthefuckhasobamadonesofar.com/

          And by the way, I very much doubt that Hilary would now agree with you that she was right, nor did she likely even mean that statement sincerely then since it was said in the heat of a CAMPAIGN.

          Edited to clarify.

          • Jesse Ruth

            I suppose I shouldn’t have believed Obama during the campaign either, cuz, you know, it was a CAMPAIGN.

          • laddieluv

            Please stop whining.

          • Jesse Ruth

            Listen, I’m not a troll. I believe pretty much everything that is emitted from this blog (including the comments). I actually worked for the Obama campaign on stipend. I’m not whining. I’m just disappointed. Is that so wrong? :)

            P.S. maybe it is a rumor (I hope it’s a rumor!). If it turns out that it is a rumor, I will write a comment of apology for my knee-jerk reaction. That said, if it’s not a rumor, what will the constant defenders say? Cuz no matter how much you love all things Obama, you gotta agree that throwing Social Security and Medicare on the table is unconscionable? Am I right?

            What exactly did he say that he has not done, attempted to do, or said he would still do?

            Also, unable to answer my previous question? Apparently.

            You aren’t fooling anyone. Edited because it was stupid and irrelevant.

          • Jesse Ruth

            What? Huh? Foolin’? Def Leppard?

            He said he’d shut down Gitmo, he campaigned on the public option, he said domestic drilling needs to end. More? What was the other question?

            What was “the other question”? It’s still right where it was when you first read it.

            I repeat. What does your use of the term “all signs” refer to in this instance?

          • Jesse Ruth

            About “all signs point to” caving. I blame that phrase on my trusty magic 8 ball.

            WHAT signs???

          • Jesse Ruth

            I dunno, ask the 8 ball. :)

          • jjasonham

            I really like this list of accomplishments better.

            http://obamaachievements.org/list

            It’s organized into categories and dropdowns.

            Thanks, jason. Yeah, I was aware of that one, but it’s easier to get people like Jesse to read the other one. :-)

        • ranger11

          Hillary? Yeah we need some of that Dick Morris and Mark Penn poll-tested bullshit.

    • Robert Scalzi

      Just because We succeeded in electing a Democrat doesn’t mean it’s gonna be all Rainbows and BJs for the people that elected Him. Sheesh you don’t think that progress in the right direction is being made ?? Pull your head out of you ass, I could be more of a critic, and there are areas that I’m disappointed w/ the Admin, however Most of the disappointment I have w/ the the pace of progress can be laid squarely at the feet of the Neanderthal Tea/Refuckers in the senate and house. Not w/ the prez. How many good bills died in the Senate that the last congress passed ??? Why isn’t GITMO closed yet ?? teh goddamned Republicans , and If the goddamned Idiots in (mainly) the Midwest and the South didn’t have their collective heads up their asses and send Giant Assholes like DeMint, Sessions, Cornyn, Imhoffe Etc. Etc, we could have acheived a great deal more for the average citizen in this country. If you live in a Red State or a Purple state get off your ass and do some work to get rid of these clods that would just assume make us all serfs.

      • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_7VZNIFV5UXBX5LETCRH34M5HG4 Staci Bass

        On Gitmo, his own party voted against him for funding – that amazingly, magic “60” votes he had, and the fuckers voted against him, yet it’s his fault it’s still open.

        I wonder where Jesse was when there was such an uproar about putting KSM on trial in NY. That was one only guy and people had the conniptions. What the hell was Obama supposed to do with the other 200 so that he could “fulfill his promise”?

        • Robert Scalzi

          BadDogDems are worse than TeaReFuckers in many ways, They claim to be On “our” side and over and over shitholes like Nelson and his ilk Fuck things up w/ their Obstinance, Goddamned traitors is what they are , to the country, the party and themselves….. I hope they all die soon.

    • MrDHalen

      I’m reminded of a comment from someone on this board I found very relevant, “It appears most Americans just want a king that is on their side!”

      What has transpired since President Obama’s election shows me that the most of the American citizenry is just not interested. They voted him in and went back to watching reality TV. Not enough people care anymore or refuse to properly educate themselves on the issues we face. I think the president has done as best he can against a wall of corporations, GOP, and bought & paid democrats with little help from most of the American public.

      I thought the nation would wake up after the 2008 collapse, but we did not. We seem destine as a nation to only truly react when the ledge starts to crumble.

      • incredulous72

        Dan, look at Minnesota, Wisconsin, Indiana, Michigan and Ohio.

        They’re awake now. ;-)

        • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_7VZNIFV5UXBX5LETCRH34M5HG4 Staci Bass

          Yeah, but look what it took.

          • incredulous72

            You know what they say Staci; hard heads make soft behinds. ;-)

  • incredulous72

    Deranged DeMint’s stance doesn’t surprise me at all. My family is originally from South Carolina and the many still live there now; that state’s government is in shambles and has been for decades. They are second only to Texas when it comes to the “smaller government/government is the problem” meme and the majority of residents in the state live well below the poverty line. The State legislature refuses, REFUSES to try and bring in outside corporations to do business in the state because they don’t want outsiders coming in and trying to change the state of affairs that exists down there (wingnutty, bible belt, ultra-conservativism). They look at how North Carolina has changed significantly in the past twenty years and it horrifies them; they don’t want any “liburuls” moving into their state, raising taxes and making it “bad for businesses”. Why do they fear people moving in if lucrative corporations come to SC? Because the companies would have to hire outside of the state because the education system down there is horrific. Unless they were filling only warehouse and customer service positions (as is the case with Amazon), there is not a big enough pool of applicants to fill other more technical positions.

    DeMint is perfectly at peace with his treasonous statements because the state he represents has been in a symbolic disruption/shutdown for the passed 50 years.

  • Robert Scalzi

    His statement is seditious and possibly an act of treason. Why anyone in this country thinks that this type of statement – basically stating that he will tank the US economy, thereby damaging the country deliberately until he gets HIS way- is OK is beyond redemption. DeMint needs to be arrested and answer for his deliberate threat of insurrection against the United States Government. FUCK HIM , FUCK HIS DEFENDERS FUCK EM ALL>

    • Scopedog

      I’m wondering why the PL isn’t out there putting more attention on DeMint (who sounds, well, demented)….maybe because it’s easier to bitch about how Obama keeps failing and caving when there has been little to no f**king evidence of this?

      Just asking….

      • Jesse Ruth

        Off the top of my head: public option, Bush tax cuts, domestic drilling, patriot act, Gitmo…

        • JMAshby

          Yeah, because the presidency exists in a vacuum and congress has no say in any of that.

        • mrbrink

          Where were the votes for what you would consider progress?

          You either have no clue what you’re talking about, or you think we’re too stupid to pick up on your pure horseshit.

          . public option did not have support . Which is fine, because medicare for all (which is his backplan) will be much better.
          . Bush tax cuts . Please. Not Obama’s fault.
          . domestic drilling. Not anymore.
          . GITMO…hahaha…….that blame lies at the feet of Congress which refused to fund the closure.

          Apparently, you can’t even be bothered to check your right wing talking points with Politifact.

          • Jesse Ruth

            My right wing talking points?!! Wow. Seriously, chill out and discuss. JM Ashby seems a bit miffed by my comments, but at least he’s being sort of cool about it. I am in no way associated with the right wing. Damn.

            Not trying to infer your assoc with the RW.
            Just, that the points you brought up are also RW talking points, along with the tps of the firebagging left.
            Sorry if I wasn’t clear.

          • Scopedog

            Nope, you were clear, Nicole….it’s just that for some people, it’s really hard to see the facts when suffering from the NIA/HUA syndrome.

          • Jesse Ruth

            I’m not a witch. :)

          • jjasonham

            Nicole is not JM. People have different ways of reacting. From what I’m seeing, you’re not “proving” your points. You’re just throwing out key words and when they’re refuted you tell people to calm down and discuss. There is no discussion. What are you arguing? If you’re arguing, PROVE IT!

          • Jesse Ruth

            I already admitted to venting. I calmed down a bit and read a few intelligent replies. I’m processing now.

        • Robert Scalzi

          I know of a few cliffs you might wanna jump off

  • Jesse Ruth

    And really, this anti-progressive left bullshit isn’t accomplishing anything either.

    • JMAshby

      You’re the one who came into this thread picking an unprovoked fight.

      • Jesse Ruth

        Okay. I wasn’t trying to pick a fight, but in reading over my first comment I can see how it seemed that way. I was sort of venting, I guess. I just finished reading a book about the Kennedy brothers (JFK and RFK) and it struck me how insanely brave they were in fighting against the internal forces that threatened to topple them. I know that the Cesca clan doesn’t respond well to the idea that Obama doesn’t lead. In fact, I think he’s an okay leader (obviously a billion times better than any Republican option). I just wish I’d see a little bit more fight. If he caves (since, as you said, it’s a rumor) and social security and medicare enter the discussion, I’ll be VERY disappointed.

        • ranger11

          Kennedy? Nothing got through Congress until Johnson became president. Civil rights and Medicare both floundered for his three years. I’m not saying that Obama is the greatest thing since sliced bread but all of these assholes had flaws.

          • Jesse Ruth

            I was talking more about the whole resisting the Joint Chiefs of Staff and their wanting to fuck with Cuba to the point that it initiated WWIII and/or just preemptively nuking the Russkies.

          • ranger11

            Agreed on that point but in regards to Cuba I can’t get out of my head the constant and counter-productive assassination plots against Castro. None of these guys were perfect in all areas.

          If he caves (since, as you said, it’s a rumor) and social security and medicare enter the discussion, I’ll be VERY disappointed.

          If he “caves”, it won’t be on anything that matters to most of us. If he caves on entitlements, he will, I believe, do it in the following way:
          — he’ll cut SS for wealthy seniors (I know more than a few of those, and they might not like it in principle, but honey, they will not be hungry since they view it as spare change).
          — cuts to other programs such as medicare would mean something along the lines of finding inefficiencies that won’t affect the beneficiaries.

          JMHO.

          In any case, wait until you know for sure before you get all overwrought about it.

          • Jesse Ruth

            That might be the case, but “defenders of medicare” is the best ammunition we have going into 2012.

        • JMAshby

          You could have just said.

          And by the way, those rumors floated in the Washington Post came from Adam Green of Bold Progressive who sent out a fund-raising pledge today asking for people to pledge to sit home and do nothing next year and to give him money.

          With that said, you should fully be expecting some kind of pain for programs you care about, because the Republicans insist upon it against all reason. However, you should read the fine print and details whenever a “deal” is eventually reached before jumping off a cliff.

          People originally thought the President caved and gave the Republicans $38 billion dollars in the Fiscal 2011 “compromise,” but it turned out that the Republicans only really got $350 million in serious cuts. And all of cable punditry and very serious outrage artists ended up looking like fucking idiots.

          I expect a repeat. It will look worse than it actually is, and cable punditry will shit their pants.

          • Jesse Ruth

            I’m still not 100% pleased with the administration, but your points are appreciated.

          • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_7VZNIFV5UXBX5LETCRH34M5HG4 Staci Bass

            I don’t think anybody on here is 100% pleased, but we recognize the limitations placed on the president, believe he has the best interests of the country in his maneuvers, and believe that he is the best man for the job. Hell, if I agreed with Obama (or anybody else for that matter) 100%, I might be a little worried about myself and my ability for form independent thought.

          • incredulous72

            And not print/report the actual truth, thus continuing the meme, “Obama caved.”

            Anyone that says or believes the words, “liberal media” is a complete embezzle. ;-(

    • incredulous72

      Actually Jesse, the President never said he was for a public option, rather he was open to one. He knew there would be very little support for it in Congress. What he did say was that one of his top priorities would be affordable healthcare for everyone, which the healthcare law is a start to. Is it perfect? No. If we can get more moderate to progressive democrats elected to Congress (in both houses), taking back control, then we would have a better chance of changing that to what the public wants it to be.

      In regards to the Bush tax cuts and Gitmo, have you been around for the last two and a half years? The Republicans effectively blocked any kind of meaningful progressive legislation from passing in Congress by threatening filibusters left and right. They literally took the Congress hostage. The deal for extending the Bush tax cuts (which is temporary) was so that unemployed Americans would continue to get their unemployment benefits. The Republicans were threatening to end the lame duck session without extending benefits to the unemployed, which would have made the economy even worse than it already is. Gitmo can’t be closed on executive order alone; the whole Congress has to be on board too and as usual, they weren’t.

      I can understand your frustration with the state of affairs of this country; I am equally frustrated, but your frustration seems to be misdirected.

      • Jesse Ruth

        Finally, a reply I can appreciate. I may not agree 100%, but you tilted me a bit on a few points. Thank you.

        • incredulous72

          Not a problem. Hysteria in these days and times is understood, but we need to keep our heads on straight so that we can combat all of this misinformation and the rumors.

  • Scopedog

    What the hell does that have to do with Obama sparring with the Repubs who want to bend the country over the rail and give it the business?

    This has NOTHING to do with JFK standing up to the nutsoes who wanted to send the missiles flying.

    Let’s make it clear–DeMint and the Republicans are showing themselves to be absolutely bats**t insane…and you’re trotting in nonsense about Obama caving? Why not focus on the opposing side who have made it very clear that they intend to drag us over the bloody precipice?

    • Jesse Ruth

      I didn’t make a direct association. I was talking in terms of standing up to those forces that seek ruination. Nothing to get all worked up over.

      • mrbrink

        Do you think he’s joking when he associates this right wing coup with terrorism, or hostage taking?

        Do U.S. president’s generally make these sort of equivalencies?

        “The Red Coats are coming!” not brave enough for you?

        They could wrestle him from office, put him in a cell, and you’d still be sitting here talking about the public option.

        You’re a counter productive force for progress.

        This thread wasn’t about Obama, but you made it so.

        I question your methods.

  • Zen Diesel

    I will finish making my tinfoil hat, and patiently wait for our alien overlords to take over the planet. The Republicans are hellbent on making the US default on it’s debt. Maybe, O will flip the 14th admendment switch at the last moment and save the day.

    • incredulous72

      Okay, I just spit iced tea at the screen because of your picture. LOL!

      I loved that movie. ;-)

      • Zen Diesel

        Why thank you kindly, the current wingnuttiness that is going on makes me wish I had some type of helmet shield from the stupidity that is going on.

    Jesse…….

    The proposed cuts would purportedly not increase costs to beneficiaries, instead, they would focus on reforming the inefficiency in the programs.
    Administration officials and Republicans say the cuts would come from hospitals and nursing facilities and wouldn’t directly add costs to beneficiaries or completely overhaul the programs.

    http://www.politicalruminations.com/2011/07/obama-administration-proposed-cuts-to-entitlement-programs.html

    • Jesse Ruth

      I see where you’re coming from, but seniors will not take kindly to even the hint of fucking with medicare. Obviously, the Republicans are the ones to blame, but who knows how they’ll spin it.

  • mrbrink

    Jim DeMint is advocating a right wing coup from within and overthrow of the American government in the name of a wealthy minority.

    They should be censured at the very least and physically apprehended in the name of domestic tranquility and national security.

    They’ve already overthrown democracy and the will of the people through the filibuster.

    Now they’re going for the throat of the Republic, bayonets bearing down.

    I don’t want to talk about that, though. I want to talk about how Obama should make it all go away.

      They’re talking about impeachment if he uses the 14th amendmt to get around the debt ceiling.

      These people are nothing more than fascist pricks waiting for their chance at that coup you talked about.

    • ranger11

      I think the problem is that a certain portion of Obama’s “base” is incapable of having his back at this point. Bush never seemed to have this problem with his base even when he was signing Medicare Part D into effect. So much for the deficit! I would not want to be in a foxhole with these “supporters”.

        ranger, I agree a certain percentage of Pres. O’s base doesn’t have his back and the Rethugs don’t have to worry about that. However, that is one of the key differences between Liberals and Conservatives. Libs think for themselves and cons want someone to tell them what to do–they’re lemmings. I would prefer that libs continue to use their own brains.

        • incredulous72

          I agree with you regarding we think for ourselves and that’s a good thing IG, but we must learn to disagree ‘behind closed doors’. The issue we have is remaining unified. The minute there is some disagreement within the party about how to go about resolving an issue or for that matter which issues should be top priority, we devolve into the hatfields and mccoys, which is completely ridiculous. Not to mention it turns independents off, and the reality is, we need the independents. We need all of us (democrats) and we need the independents so that we can get the republicans’ boot off of the country’s neck. Hell, that may be the wrong analogy; they’ve pretty much stomped the country into a coma at this point.

  • incredulous72

    It should be crystal f$#king clear that republicans could give a rat’s ass about Main Street America with their talk of shutdowns and disruptions. However, if the average american is still not convinced of the republicans’ total disregard for “Real Americans”, they should read this asshole’s comments:

    WASHINGTON — Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) voted against beginning debate on a measure that would have the Senate declare the rich should share the pain of debt reduction Thursday, a day after arguing that it’s the poor and middle class who need to do more.

    “I hear how they’re so caring for the poor and so forth,” Hatch said in remarks on the Senate floor Wednesday, in reference to Democrats. “The poor need jobs! And they also need to share some of the responsibility.”

  • http://whatafy.com whatafy

    He is insane. Wow.

  • dildenusa

    DeMint is just like Sarah Palin, Michele Bachmann, et al. These people are nothing but opportunists. They think they see a weak president and they are all over him. The 14th amendment trumps the debt ceiling law which was passed during World War 1 so that congress wouldn’t have to pass a new appropriations bill to fund the war or during the war. Congress passed a law saying the treasury could borrow up to a certain amount and when it hit that amount congress would simply raise the amount of debt. Wilson liked it because he didn’t have to go to congress each time to borrow more money for the war.

  • likala

    Two articles that should be required reading for people who keep using the same tired talking points of “caving, public option, Gitmo and Bush tax cuts”.

    Politics 101 for the far left

    To Those Who Consider President Obama a Disappointment; You’re Just NOT Paying Attention!

    • incredulous72

      Thanks for the link, likala.

      That . . . was . . . AWESOME!

      • likala

        You’re welcome.

        I posted that knowing the ones who need to read it, if they do, will likely just keep on with more of the same. They just don’t get it. The comments on the first link shows the disconnect they have.

        All we can do though is keep pointing them to these common sense arguments and hope more will stop and take notice and perhaps join us in the fight against the real enemies on the right.