Making The Case

But is anyone listening?

(Reuters) – President Barack Obama pressed his case on Saturday for achieving deficit reduction, in part by ending tax breaks and singling out hedge fund managers, oil companies and billionaires to take the hit. [...]

“Now, it would be nice if we could keep every tax break, but we can’t afford them,” Obama said in his weekly radio and Internet address.

“Because if we choose to keep those tax breaks for millionaires and billionaires, or for hedge fund managers and corporate jet owners, or for oil and gas companies pulling in huge profits without our help – then we’ll have to make even deeper cuts somewhere else.” [...]

“We’ve got to say to a student, ‘You don’t get a college scholarship.’ We have to say to a medical researcher, ‘You can’t do that cancer research.’ We might have to tell seniors, ‘You have to pay more for Medicare,'” he said.

“That isn’t right, and it isn’t smart. We’ve got to cut the deficit, but we can do that while making investments in education, research and technology that actually create jobs.”

If you were just tuning in over the last couple of days, you may think the Whitehouse is just now taking the discussion in another direction. You may believe that President Obama has not been making these same kinds of arguments for months. You would be mistaken though, and there is nothing extraordinary about the words coming out of the president’s mouth over the last several days.

It may be fun to claim that the administration has finally found a set of balls, but it’s also disingenuous because the administration has never lacked a set. The message coming out of the Whitehouse has been entirely consistent, but consistency is not in the best interests of the Very Liberal Media. Consistency is boring. Consistency does not engage viewers. The horse-race does.

There are characteristics of the administration which may draw legitimate criticism, but a lack of consistency is not one of them. Just because the so-called Liberal Media chooses not to cover the majority of a liberal president’s remarks does not mean he isn’t out there making them.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in The Media and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • jjasonham

    Exactly. I subscribe to the WhiteHouse.gov blog and I see all of this every single day. I don’t watch cable news so I don’t have a gauge for how absent these kinds of affirmations are.

    • lukenstein

      Very absent. So many beltway pundits, (especially fox, no surprise there) have called Obama the invisible President, and suggest he isn’t engaged with the public. It’s all bullshit, they choose not to give him air time, because frankly, he makes too much sense.

  • LynnVeraLynn

    nicely done Ashby

    • JMAshby

      Hi Veralynn! Glad you’re still out there lurking.

  • trgahan

    Surprised? Remember, this is the same media that ran such headlines: “The Honeymoon is Over” right after he took office, followed by “A Failed Presidency” just a few months later….not to mention giving the birther-crap legitimacy. They even tried to briefly sell the “Mandate” line after 2004 election results.
    The bottom line is that commercial media is yet another billion dollar industry that does not share the interests of the American people.

  • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1655290390 Steven Skelton

    In his press conference, the president mentioned the tax reduction given to corporate jet owners. If we repealed that tax cut, in 700 years it would generate enough revenue to pay for one year of the average deficit from 2009 to the current year.

  • http://www.facebook.com/jerry.murphy2 Jerry Murphy

    You’re absolutely correct in your assessment. President Obama’s message has been consistent. It’s unfortunate that a large portion of our electorate is getting their information fed to them via Fox News, if they watch the news at all. Unfortunately most voters in America only tune into political discourse within about two to three weeks of a Presidential election. And then they vote based on slogans and catch phrases they hear/see on T.V. during those last few weeks.