Nobody Needs This Crap Anyway, Right?

What will happen if the debt ceiling deadline passes without any action? Aside from a global economic collapse, here are the programs that will be zeroed out. You know, the things that Republicans and tea party people are saying is a hoax.

You just cut the IRS and all the accountants at Treasury, which means that the actual revenue you have to spend is $0.

The nation’s nuclear arsenal is no longer being watched or maintained

The doors of federal prisons have been thrown open, because none of the guards will work without being paid, and the vendors will not deliver food, medical supplies, electricity, etc.

The border control stations are entirely unmanned, so anyone who can buy a plane ticket, or stroll across the Mexican border, is entering the country. All the illegal immigrants currently in detention are released, since we don’t have the money to put them on a plane, and we cannot actually simply leave them in a cell without electricity, sanitation, or food to see what happens.

All of our troops stationed abroad quickly run out of electricity or fuel. Many of them are sitting in a desert with billions worth of equipment, and no way to get themselves or their equipment back to the US.

Our embassies are no longer operating, which will make things difficult for foreign travellers

No federal emergency assistance, or help fighting things like wildfires or floods. Sorry, tornado people! Sorry, wildfire victims! Try to live in the northeast next time!

Housing projects shut down, and Section 8 vouchers are not paid. Families hit the streets.

The money your local school district was expecting at the October 1 commencement of the 2012 fiscal year does not materialize, making it unclear who’s going to be teaching your kids without a special property tax assessment.

The market for guaranteed student loans plunges into chaos. Hope your kid wasn’t going to college this year!

The mortgage market evaporates. Hope you didn’t need to buy or sell a house!

The FDIC and the PBGC suddenly don’t have a government backstop for their funds, which has all sorts of interesting implications for your bank account.

The TSA shuts down. Yay! But don’t worry about terrorist attacks, you TSA-lovers, because air traffic control shut down too. Hope you don’t have a vacation planned in August, much less any work travel.

Unemployment money is no longer going to the states, which means that pretty soon, it won’t be going to the unemployed people.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Economy and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Dorothy Rissman

    Great information to have for my folder of Facts. It always comes in handy when you are fighting with a friend or on line. It is amazing how many people just throw out statements that are not true. Their knowledge about to having digested every piece of gossip and garbage they have heard.

    Offer a little reality and they do not even respond. Nice.

  • MrDHalen

    Whenever I hear these anti-government hacks spouting their crap, I picture the classic movie character who shouts down everybody over their concerns about the consequences of his actions. You always see this asshole whimpering before he’s about to get eaten, blown up, or killed, because of what he just did.

    That pathetic look of “but, I didn’t know this would happen”, makes me want to punch their pathetic little faces. Now we all have to pay for your arrogance; you jerk.

  • JMAshby

    Sounds like a shopping list for a sunny weekend BBQ to your average Teabagger Freshman.

  • Lexamich

    These idiots really do believe that if they cry to the media long enough, everyone will simply blame President Obama for the calamity and tumult. That is what their little strategy boils down to, really.

    “Hey, look, everyone, the Democrat made everything worse.”

    Meanwhile, the more they yell, the more it becomes apparent that they’re guilty and have no intention of helping the country recover. They’re too hyped-up or just plain stupid to see that they cannot spin their way out of this.

    See, I blame media-bound enablers, like Ailes, for all this nonsense the Cons are perpetrating. The shabby PR influence is all over these Republicon shenanigans.

    Oh, that list is just more scaremongering, never mind the idiots claiming to be sticking to their demented principles because the debt crisis is oh so serious. They’re not scaremongering at all.

    Well, when you think about it, technically, they aren’t, are they. They’re simply building a fort around the corporatist scum bankrolling them, that’s all.

  • trgahan

    The scary part is I could show this list to several people I know who would respond: “This is how it should be!” When is it time for a name change to “The United Banana Republic of America”? Because we seem to be headed more and more in the political and economic direction of our Central American nieghbors than a leading first world democratic nation.