Pawlenty: I Shut Down The Government And Won!

Rule number one in Republican primary politics (at least if your name is Tim Pawlenty) — don’t let a good government shutdown go to waste.

Tim Pawlenty has a new ad up in Iowa, boasting of his performance in a 2005 Minnesota government shutdown — just as his state finds itself in the middle of a new government shutdown.

“Minnesota, gripped by one of the longest transit strikes in history,” The announcer says. “Why? Because Governor Tim Pawlenty refused to cave in to government unions. Result? Pawlenty won. Minnesota government shut down. Why? Because Tim Pawlenty would not accept Democrats’ massive tax-and-spending demands. Result? Pawlenty won. Tim Pawlenty — results, not rhetoric.”

23,000 state employees have been furloughed in Minnesota as a result of this latest state government shutdown, but it’s okay, because Tim Pawlenty won the last time it happened! He showed those unions who’s boss!

The ironic thing, of course, is that Tim Pawlenty is the former governor of Minnesota responsible for leaving the state in its current situation.

If he believes that means he “won,” or that inadvertently claiming credit for the current mess in Minnesota is a good idea, then I suppose it shouldn’t come as a shock that Pawlenty’s campaign is currently circling the drain and barely registering at the local or national level.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Epic Fail and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

    I don’t tweet…
    #Winning

    /?

    • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_OKYUML2JTDWCNVD7T2LQCJSSWI Meemoo Meem

      very go go web===wwwjordansforkingcom

    The ultimate Republican campaign slogan would boil down to “I hate government, please put me in charge of it” This is just getting them one step closer.

    • JMAshby

      Or rather “Elect me so I can ensure that government really does fail you”

  • D_C_Wilson

    Tim Pawlenty won! Hooray!

    You know who lost?

    The residents of MN.

      Exactly, so Pawlenty won but everyone else lost. I believe that is called giving a big FU to your constituents.

    • laddieluv

      As a MN resident, I couldn’t agree with you more.

      Timmy Pee is a human cancer. Vile pile of bile.

      Liar. Hypocrite. Thief. Rich person/corporate bu.tt kisser.

      Decimator of the middle class and eduction. Cooker of books.

      And quite the bigot, too.

      The whole refu.klican fun pack.

      Disgusting excuse for a human.

      Excedrin, please.

  • http://twitter.com/bphoon Brian C

    I suppose it shouldn’t come as a shock that Pawlenty’s campaign is currently circling the drain and barely registering at the local or national level.

    Precisely.

    Tim Pawlenty can think he “won” in ’05 but I was living in MN at the time. Trust me: everyone lost. That’s what happens when government shuts down: everyone loses.

    Pawlenty is bears direct responsibility for the state of Minnesota’s fiscal condition. He left office–after being for all intents and purposes an absentee governor for two years while he tried to set up his presidential campaign–with a $6.5 billion fiscal hole in the “out years” of his budgets. Those “out years” are now and the people of Minnesota are paying the price.

    Really something to brag about there…

  • http://twitter.com/bphoon Brian C

    Another thing–

    Combining the last two years of his governorship and the time since he left office, he’s spent the better part of three years setting up his campaign. He can’t do any better than this and we’re supposed to trust him with the levers of federal power? The man couldn’t find his way out of a paper bag.