Quote of the Day

“I was convinced in my capacity and I’m convinced in this capacity that we’re within reach of strategically defeating Al Qaeda.” Defense Secretary Leon Panetta

Seriously? I hope so. I’d love to be able to go to the airport without being, you know, irradiated.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Terrorism and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://doran.pacifist.net/ Doran

    Of course, the security kabuki (whether publicly at the airport or hidden in some AT&T Internet switching room) won’t go away even if al Qaeda is somehow determined to be defeated. Too many Villagers and their friends benefit from having an Emmanuel Goldstein around.

    • incredulous72

      I agree. Besides, it’s not like they’re doing a top notch job to begin with.

      Did you hear about the stun gun found on a JetBlue flight from Boston to Newark? The cleaning crew found the stun gun in the pocket seat.

      How the hell did someone get passed the TSA with a stun gun?

      REALLY?!

      • muselet

        I assume it was dropped by a clumsy Air Marshal (if memory serves, one left his sidearm on a plane last year).

        –alopecia

        • incredulous72

          An Air Marshal would put his stun gun in the pocket seat in front of him?

          That Air Marshal needs to be suspended.

            LOL, well he had it in his waistband in the front but that was uncomfortable when he sat down (BTW for those of you who don’t know it yet, you will NEVER EVER see a good cop put a loaded gun in his pants pointed down at his junk–only idiot street punks and bad tv writers do this).

          • incredulous72

            Understandable IG, but he forgot it. That’s serious.

            BTW, where are you guys getting your info from on the JetBlue incident? I haven’t heard anymore updates since last night and I live in the Tri-state area.

            Thanks for the info. ;-)

            I think I might have confused you with my first sentence….it was meant to be a joke! I was making up an excuse for why a Marshall would be stupid enough to put his weapon in the pocket in front of him. So that’s my bad.

            In re: to real law enforcement procedure….with a gun or a stun gun, they should be holstered at all times either on a belt or shoulder holster. They are never to be removed from said holster unless they are put into a secure location (like locked trunk, gun safe at HQ, etc). Any time a gun or stun gun is pulled from it’s holster, regardless of whether shots are fired or not , a report must be filed as to why it was pulled and a review by the shift supervisor officer must occur to determine if the level of force being encountered was sufficient cause. If yes, it’s filed away. If no, the report is forwarded up the chain of command and disciplinary action is taken. So, the short of it is, no real leo would ever put something like a gun or a stun gun anywhere but in his/her holster, no matter how uncomfortable they are. It’s a major, major no-no.

  • incredulous72

    O.K., so I finally got some info on the stun gun incident.

    Apparently it was a stun gun that looked like a cell phone. These devices seem to be common on the Internet and sell for about 50 bucks. These thing are illegal in New York and New Jersey, however the flight came from Boston and landed in Newark.

    The authorities identified the passenger that sat in the seat it was found in, but they don’t believe this person is the owner of the device.

    Updated: Thanks for the info about LEO, IG!

    • muselet

      Well, that makes more sense than my assumption, but it makes for a much less interesting story.

      (Didn’t mean to lead you astray, by the way. I saw a headline last night and didn’t bother to read the article. Apologies for the confusion. And, for the record, I just checked: an Air Marshal seems to have left a full clip on a plane last November, not his sidearm.)

      –alopecia

      • incredulous72

        No worries. Actually, your assumption made me feel better. What really happened makes me feel even worse.

        I didn’t hear about the November incident with the Air Marshal leaving his clip. Good Grief!

        • muselet

          AP article from last November. It turns out it could have been some other law enforcement officer and not an Air Marshal—in other words, I could have blown the story yet again, so maybe I should quit while I’m behind.

          –alopecia

          • incredulous72

            LOL!