The View From Overseas

Spiegel Online International shares the following passages with us from Germany where people are growing increasingly concerned about the lunacy of the Republican Party.

From Bild, one of the largest newspapers in Germany:

“Playing poker is part of politics, as is theatrical posturing. That’s fair enough. But what America is currently exhibiting is the worst kind of absurd theatrics. And the whole world is being held hostage.

“Irrespective of what the correct fiscal and economic policy should be for the most powerful country on earth, it’s simply not possible to stop taking on new debt overnight. Most importantly, the Republicans have turned a dispute over a technicality into a religious war, which no longer has any relation to a reasonable dispute between the elected government and the opposition.”

“If it continues like this, the US will be bankrupt within a few days. It would cause a global shockwave like the one which followed the Lehman bankruptcy in 2008, which triggered the worst economic crisis since the war. Except it would be much worse than the Lehman bankruptcy. The political climate in the US has been poisoned to a degree that is hard for us (Germans) to imagine. But we should all fear the consequences.”

And from the conservative Die Welt:

“Democrats and Republicans are so hopelessly embroiled in a religious war that compromise and pragmatism are just dreams from a far-off era of reason. … The influence of the Tea Party movement … can not be overestimated. … The movement sees traditional politics as corrupt and regards Washington as a den of iniquity. … They see the other side as their enemy. Negotiations with the Democrats, whether it’s about appointing a judge or the insolvency of the United States, are only successful if the enemy is defeated. Compromise, they feel, is a sign of weakness and cowardice.”

The Republicans are doing a great deal of damage to the image of the United States, and if we fail to avoid default, our creditors are going to be asking where their money is.

via Business Insider

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in International Relations and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://www.facebook.com/people/Anne-Skinner/100001464512962 Anne Skinner

    Well, it’s at least comforting to know that the rest of the world thinks the Teatards are crazy, too. It’s a small comfort as they drive us off the cliff, foaming at the mouth and babbling about the divine miracle of Reagan-omics and how God hates manatees (way to go, Florida Teatards!) as much as he hates gays, minorities, women and the poor, but at least everyone else thinks they’re raving lunatics, too.

    • J0hnGalt

      If God hates homosexuals so much why does he keep making all those gay babies?

  • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_YM23FX2FBZEC3UVDPZRGCUBIZ4 staci

    We’re number 1, we’re number 1 – oh, wait.

  • jjasonham

    Anything pragmatic or compromising is viewed as an absolutely treasonous betrayal, by ideologues from both sides. A bright side is that the Democrats aren’t as beholden to their extreme wing as the GOP.

    Also, it can be discombobulating seeing America from an outside perspective. I was in Paris when we declared war on Iraq. I was in utter disbelief that it happened, but I realized I had the privilege of being informed by an actual media. It really makes you realize how important the 4th estate is.

    • http://exurbanmusings.blogspot.com/ janicket

      You mean, how important it was in this country, before it became mere infotainment, with a side of right-wing propaganda.

  • Dan_in_DE

    It’s often remarkable how spot on the German analysis of our politics is. And I’m astounded to, at how often I hear about the latest stories involving the President are included in the daily news rundowns here.

    It’s been a really funny development that, in the last few weeks, a lot of Germans I know have latched onto this idea, which must have originated with a comedian somewhere ; ) , that since Germans keep hearing about how highly America thinks of their Chancellor, Angela Merkel.. well, they would just love to trade her away, in that case, if they could get President Obama in exchange.

      My German relations have been calling Republicans fascists since Bush dug in hard on his authoritarian principles.

      It bothers me that Germany is seemingly in so much better shape regards economic and social justice, than we are here.

      Land of the free. Yup. Free to make the rich richer, the poor and the middle class poorer, sicker, and dumber.

  • J0hnGalt

    I thought this was interesting:
    “It would cause a global shockwave like the one which followed the Lehman bankruptcy in 2008, which triggered the worst economic crisis since the war.”

    Germany can say just “the war” and all the readers assume WWII. But in America was have to qualify the war with either Korean or Vietnam or Iraq or Afghanistan…

    It’s quite telling…

    • MrDHalen

      Yes, quite telling.

  • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

    The Republicans have turned a dispute over a technicality into a religious war, which no longer has any relation to a reasonable dispute between the elected government and the opposition.

    Funny how it takes a German writer to discern that. I’ve only been blogging about this trend since, oh, before they called it blogging.