They Aren’t Interested

There’s been a lot of hoopla and outrage over the withdrawal of Elizabeth Warren as a candidate to head the brand new Consumer Protection Agency, and I hate to be Captain Obvious, but the senate was never going to confirm her anyway.

They won’t confirm the next nominee, Richard Cordray, either. Or the next one. Or the one after that. So sayeth, Mitch McConnell.

“I would remind [President Obama] that Senate Republicans still aren’t interested [in] approving anyone to the position until the president agrees to make this massive government bureaucracy more accountable and transparent to the American people,” McConnell announced on the Senate floor Monday.

He continued: “Back on May 5 of this year, 44 Republican Senators signed a letter to the president stating — quote — ‘We will not support the consideration of any nominee, regardless of party affiliation, to be the CFPB director until the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau is reformed.’

“We have no doubt that without proper oversight, the CFPB will only multiply the kind of countless, burdensome regulations that are holding our economy back right now and that it will have countless unintended consequences for individuals and small businesses that constrict credit, stifle growth, and destroy jobs. That’s why everyone from florists to community bankers opposed its creation in the first place. That’s why we’ll insist on serious reforms to bring accountability and transparency to the agency before we consider any nominee to run it.”

What Republican Senator Minority Leader Mitch McConnell is really saying is that they will be happy to get out of the way and allow the confirmation of a director just as soon as the agency, which is still in its infancy, is rendered toothless and ineffectual.

He and his senate colleagues have no problem with government bureaucracy so long as that bureaucracy has no actual power.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Republican Party and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • jjasonham

    Does anyone know if this means Dr. Warren will stay in place until they do get someone?

  • D_C_Wilson

    “until the president agrees to make this massive government bureaucracy more accountable and transparent to the American people”

    Allow me to translate:

    “Until the president agrees to render this watchdog agency toothless and another tool of big business at the expensive of actually protecting real Americans.”

    And if Obama gave in to their every demand, he’d move the goal posts even further. Chinless McConnell might have more credibility if he hadn’t already made it clear that he will oppose Obama no matter he does.

  • incredulous72

    Once again, the republicans are shittin’ and steppin’ in it.

    Allowing the country to grind to a resounding halt is not what the majority of Americans want in this country. What “fiscally responsible” republicans (and Democrats) want is that their government run more efficiently, not that it doesn’t do the job it was designed to do. The fact that the tea party doesn’t get this is understandable, they are not the sharpest tools in the box.

    O.K., who are we kidding; they’re as dull as a butter knife.

    However, the “sharp” republicans are using this as a tool that they think is going to get them back into real power and they’re so blinded by their own ambition (MCCONNELL, CANTOR) that they are willing to throw this entire country under the bus because they think that their corporate overlords will help them win next year.

    They’ve severely miscalculated their overlords’ level of influence.

  • mrbrink

    “Hoopla!”

    “Outrage!”

    At least the GOP traitors have given up the bunk pretense of saving the country from the ominous government-takeover of lawmaking and dutiful enforcement.

    And Elizabeth Warren, the underworld overlord of wholesome get-tough-sincerity fooled no Republican– no way, no how! It’s all a job killer, babe. It’s a Job killer, she’s a job killer, job killer…she will murder your jobs and put you in a camp where you will wait to be killed while your job watches behind glass that isn’t even one-sided!

    But ultimately, and most importantly for real progressives– it’s the President’s fault for nominating such a non-Progressive O-Bot and liberal disappointment like known crony-corporatateh, Elizabeth Warren.

    I don’t think we’ve seen the last of Elizabeth Warren, though.

    I give it two days before she’s picked up on charges for slinging meth and disturbing the peace by kicking over baby strollers at the Pottersville family strip club.

    • incredulous72

      “I give it two days before she’s picked up on charges for slinging meth and disturbing the peace by kicking over baby strollers at the Pottersville family strip club.”

      Is that what LegoLand is? LOL!