They Want To Destroy

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi took to the podium today and laid out, in no uncertain terms, the Republican’s true motives for playing chicken with the debt ceiling. Motives which most of the American people are unable to connect the dots to because they do not have the time or the information necessary to do so.

“This isn’t just about them saying we should reduce the deficit,” she said, adding: “This is an excuse. The budget deficit is an excuse for the Republicans to undermine government plain and simple. They don’t just want to make cuts, they want to destroy. They want to destroy food safety, clean air, clean water, the department of education. They want to destroy your rights.” […]

“We all want to be fiscally sound,” she said. “We don’t want to do harm to our economic growth but we know that if we can save some money, we’d like to do that.”

“They do not like the government,” Pelosi said. “They’re riding an engine of popular support for, ok we have to reduce the deficit. And they’re using that to destroy.”

“The Speaker has said that between him and the president they have a different vision of America and that’s how come their budget proposals are different,” she sad. “Quite different…We get the sacrifice, they get the wealth.”

I would just expand on Pelosi’s comments and add that this latest round of Republican brinkmanship and hostage taking has very little to do with the deficit, the national debt, or even finance in general. It has everything to do with the social agenda of the radical Right.

The debt-ceiling, and thus the full faith and credit of the United States, is simply the vehicle which they are currently using as a scorched-earth bargaining chip to accomplish their long-standing goal of eliminating what remains of The New Deal. President Obama hinted at this last night during his speech, and Nancy Pelosi is stating it fairly clearly today.

President Obama and our thin majority in the Senate are the only things preventing the Republicans from achieving their goals, so you had better damn well show them some support and a little solidarity.

We must remove from office as many Republicans as we possibly can next year.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Economy and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

    Yup. 1 president and 2 senators standing between us and insanity, third world status, and the end of any semblance of democracy.

    Scary stuff.

  • http://twitter.com/DAbitty Dee

    Totally agree, Jordan! Doing my level best, to bring information to a mass of folks unaware. Some days, more successfully than others…

  • incredulous72

    Damn Right Asbhy!

    And if the hysterical left were truly concerned about the fate of this country they would put more focus on electing moderate to progressive legislators not only to the federal house and senate, but also to their local councils and state houses and senates.

    The President cannot turn this country around by himself.

    • Scopedog

      “The President cannot turn this country around by himself.”

      A cold, blunt truth….I just wish that more on the hysterical Left would get it and keep in their noggins instead of letting it go in one ear and out the other.

  • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_PZRI4FSGXWS3HSBOCS3V7DKOKI Fred

    Thank you Tea Party for keeping the Senate in Democratic hands. The nightmare scenario that that would have caused is unimaginable.

  • http://twitter.com/bphoon Brian C

    Exactly…

  • kirby11891

    I cant believe you people still support the guy who is exactly the same as Bush. Starting wars, spying on us, increasing the police state, etc.

    • ranger11

      What can we say we’re just a bunch of stupid assholes, right? Save us with your amazing wisdom please. Kucinich? Feingold? Hamsher? Shine your light so we can crawl out of our caves of darkness.

      • Scopedog

        Don’t bother, Ranger…he’s too far gone.

        If one cannot honestly see that there are vast differences between Bush and Obama, then no amount of hard facts that prove the gulf of differences is going to change their minds.

        Frankly, he should go post over at Smirking Chimp, DKos, or Raw Story. They’ll accept his bulls**t over there with no questions asked.

      • http://www.facebook.com/people/John-Conner/100000495528525 John Conner

        Jane Hamsher call Obama supporters a bunch of “Stupid Motherfuckers” I’m glad people are catching on to folks like her, Greenwald, Green and Uygur. Another reason I believe Uygur didn’t catch on MSNBC is if people wanted to hear a pundit scream about how much Obama sucks they would tuned into Fox News.

    • http://www.facebook.com/people/John-Conner/100000495528525 John Conner

      Anyone still using the meme President Obama is the same as President Bush has no credibility to discuss politics. Look what President Obama done overturning DADT, went against DOMA, tax cuts that focus on the middle class, health care and for more check out WTF has Obama done. And once you read the things he has done this far I seriously doubt you will still use that meme.

      I can understand people being frustrated with the pace of progress but comparing Obama to Bush is like comparing “The Godfather” with “Plan 9 from Outer Space” here. And your kind of thinking got us five days away from defaulting for the very first time in this country history.

      I never understood this mindset: You’re disappointed with the Democrats so instead of helping to elect like minded Democrats to the House and the senate you guys stay home. And by staying home you help get folks like Allen West and Mike Lee get elected.

      I’m starting to believe that rumor of right wingers trolling liberal blogs claiming their liberals and throwing around the Obama=Bush bomb. It doesn’t take forever to see what progressive things this president has done. Either Google WTF has Obama done or go to blackwater’s blog “The only adult in the Room”

      • Scopedog

        “I never understood this mindset: You’re disappointed with the Democrats so instead of helping to elect like minded Democrats to the House and the senate you guys stay home. ”

        I’ve never understood it either. I remember really seeing a lot of this back in 2000, when some of my friends went to vote for Nader and kept repeating the “No difference between the two parties” meme.

        The sad thing is, you could pound the fact that Obama has done so much for them as President into their heads with a ball-peen hammer and yet they will brush it off, while muttering, “Still in Iraq/Afghanistan” or “Bradley Manning” or “Caved on the Public Option and/or Gitmo closings or Bush tax cuts.”

        These PL types are too far gone. If they cannot see the truth or are resorting to allowing more Republicans into office because they are disappointed at Democrats, then that has to show a serious disorder in the old brainpan.